Thread: Powder Dispenser

Powder Dispenser

which Powder Dispenser would advise to buy .

Depends on what you are doing.

If you are doing lots of rounds and need to be very accurate then invest in an automated one like the RCBS Chargemaster. I have the Lyman version and load about 2 rounds per minute (once the brass is prepared and primed).

If you can cope with a 'small' variation then the simple turn a handle and dispense an amount such as the Uniflow measure. I started off with the lee version (much cheaper) and it was reasonably consistent but would take ages of adjusting to get the amount dispensed correct.

If you are only loading a small amount then use some dippers and powder trickler.

how does the Lyman compare , the others .

Quote Originally Posted by jw tolly View Post
    how does the Lyman compare , the others .
    I don't know I've only used the Lyman. It works. Some powders seem to overcharge, so I just set it .1 grain light and it measures out the correct amount.

Fast, accurate and reliable.

RCBS 505 and Targetmaster trickler
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    got them ,great but slow .

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jw tolly View Post
    got them ,great but slow .
    Lee powder thrower, and then the above.

Throw charge into pan .2-.3 gr light, trickle, charge case, repeat but seat bullet in previous case whilst trickling this is the method I use when I'm using a powder that doesn't throw well out of the lee thrower and its pretty quick. Starting out with primed brass and set up I can load 50 rounds of hornet (so pretty fiddly and delicate case mouths) in under half an hour this way so not that slow.

If I am using a fine ball powder TAC / Exterminator / AA2460 then the lee thrower will throw within .1 gr as measured on the 505s so if you are using that type of powder then thats all yo need
    Thanks for looking

Ive just bought a Lyman Gen 6, great, accurate and cheaper than the RCBS. Not too slow either, I mainly reload .308 and am finding as long as you dont fill the powder chamber on the Gen 6, the dispensing is quite quick, I reckon it slows down with the weight of the powder. One to think about!
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    The accuracy of your kit will depend hugely on your powder and how you use it.

IF you knock your measure as you use it, the load will vary as the powder is settled by knocking, so more drops in.

IF you use one of the very free flowing powders that dont cut (Small ball like Ramshot Wildboar) you can load pretty consistently. Mine is typically 0.002 of a grain. a couple of hundredths each way. Cant do that with N140, RS52 etc.

I tend to leave my lever in the up position and gently drop it into a pan held up against the tube, this minimises any shake so the loads tend to be less settled.

I am using a second hand redding measure.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post

Mine is typically 0.002 of a grain. a couple of hundredths each way.

I am using a second hand redding measure.
    That's some measure

JW tolly,

You can go form a Lee up to a Prometheus but really if using just a powder 'thrower/measure' then it is down to how consistent you are when you use it.

If you go with a powder measure and add a simple trickler then the measure is irrelevant as you will be doing the final powder weight a granule at a time via the trickler.

I have on of 1066's Target Master's on a RCBS scale and it is everything I need (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGThfOYsrA ). I binned my RCBS Chargmaster for this set up.

As I load one round at a time then the Target Master is faster than me (see here, excuse quality of video, was explaining something to a shooting friend: http://vid55.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00pxzzcq.mp4 )

Brgds Terry

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    JW tolly,

You can go form a Lee up to a Prometheus but really if using just a powder 'thrower/measure' then it is down to how consistent you are when you use it.

If you go with a powder measure and add a simple trickler then the measure is irrelevant as you will be doing the final powder weight a granule at a time via the trickler.

I have on of 1066's Target Master's on a RCBS scale and it is everything I need (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGThfOYsrA ). I binned my RCBS Chargmaster for this set up.

As I load one round at a time then the Target Master is faster than me (see here, excuse quality of video, was explaining something to a shooting friend: http://vid55.photobucket.com/albums/...ps00pxzzcq.mp4 )

Brgds Terry
    I like the remote button on the TM Terry

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I like the remote button on the TM Terry
    It works very well and necessary if you set the scales up to have the 'pointer' at eye level to remove parallax error (note I've scored an old laptop so will be fitting the camera soon!)

T

I'd take my tuned scales and target master with tablet over any electronic measure any day and cheaper. It's far faster and always bang on the money......