Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead wheel weights

Lead wheel weights

Do people still melt these down to cast their own bullet heads, we have approx 50 kilo,s of them and apparently scrap yards no longer accept them?

Yes. Someone will teke them.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I don't know anyone who casts bullet heads - all of those who do casting cast the entire bullet.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I don't know anyone who casts bullet heads - all of those who do casting cast the entire bullet.
    Not being a firearms holder I stand corrected awfully nice of you to point that out!!! Not

Quote Originally Posted by Rikard View Post
    Not being a firearms holder I stand corrected awfully nice of you to point that out!!! Not

This is something of a crusade for me - like "clip" to mean "magazine", and "silencer" for "moderator". But some are unwilling to learn and seem to find virtue in getting it wrong......
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Do people still melt these down to cast their own bullet heads, we have approx 50 kilo,s of them and apparently scrap yards no longer accept them?

Modern wheel weights are useless to cast boolits* with. The zinc content makes them nigh on impossible to cast correctly.

*Boolits. A term coined by a social network to describe the projectile utilised in a black powder/muzzle loading arm. Pedants note, the term is used widely by the "community" and the industry.

I put extra wheel weights on one of my neighbours car and on a guy at work ... Just on the front wheels mind .

This is something of a crusade for me - like "clip" to mean "magazine", and "silencer" for "moderator". But some are unwilling to learn and seem to find virtue in getting it wrong......

Cambridge dictionary defines "silencer" as; a piece of equipment that you use on a gun to reduce the noise made when it fires.

SilencerCo, manufacture silencers.... https://silencerco.com/silencers/

A-tec manufacture silencers.... http://www.a-tec.no

And Jackson Rifles, who probably import more silencers than anyone else, call them.... We'll both actually!! http://www.jacksonrifles.com/sak22lr.htm

Old wheel weights that dull like lead are fine to cast with, the newer ones that stay bright and shiny or look coated are usually zinc etc. If I didn't live on the opposite side of the country from you I'd have the former type in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Old wheel weights that dull like lead are fine to cast with, the newer ones that stay bright and shiny or look coated are usually zinc etc. If I didn't live on the opposite side of the country from you I'd have the former type in a heartbeat.
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    Cambridge dictionary defines "silencer" as; a piece of equipment that you use on a gun to reduce the noise made when it fires.

SilencerCo, manufacture silencers.... https://silencerco.com/silencers/

A-tec manufacture silencers.... http://www.a-tec.no

And Jackson Rifles, who probably import more silencers than anyone else, call them.... We'll both actually!! http://www.jacksonrifles.com/sak22lr.htm
    The term "Silencer" appears nowhere in HO Guidance or firearms law. I prefer to use the correct legal term, rather than that used loosely by the media and fiction writers, but agreed, it is not all that bad since meaning from context is usually clear.
    TANSTAAFL

To the OP, old lead wheel weights are perfect for hard cast bullets and these days are much sought after. Modern wheel weights are pretty much useless.

I would have thought that a scrappie would be interested in 50 kilos though - they are no longer allowed to pay cash so you have to have a account but this is not terribly difficult. If you can't find a shooter who lives near enough to make it worthwhile, then give a scrappie a call - no idea what the response might be but worth a call surely?
    TANSTAAFL

Junes1 is offline Not much point really in that case
    They make great lead shot too but haven't been around in any quantity for years. Most are stamped PB for lead and Zn for zinc.

To the OP, old lead wheel weights are perfect for hard cast bullets and these days are much sought after. Modern wheel weights are pretty much useless.

I would have thought that a scrappie would be interested in 50 kilos though - they are no longer allowed to pay cash so you have to have a account but this is not terribly difficult. If you can't find a shooter who lives near enough to make it worthwhile, then give a scrappie a call - no idea what the response might be but worth a call surely?
    These are definitely lead, just melted a few of them but the scrapyards want them without the metal/steel tabs

These are definitely lead, just melted a few of them but the scrapyards want them without the metal/steel tabs
    Do you come up north on your travels