Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lead wheel weights

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Some of us have the tolerance and common sense to understand WTF people mean when they talk of clips, magazines, bullet heads etc, but if it is unclear, we ask.

The world is full of pedants tapping away on their gummed up keyboards slowing us all down.

If it matters that much, don't read it, shooters spend enough time bitching at each other without this sort of shite. The poor bloke just wanted to do someone a favour with some lead FFS.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Some of us have the tolerance and common sense to understand WTF people mean when they talk of clips, magazines, bullet heads etc, but if it is unclear, we ask.

The world is full of pedants tapping away on their gummed up keyboards slowing us all down.

If it matters that much, don't read it, shooters spend enough time bitching at each other without this sort of shite. The poor bloke just wanted to do someone a favour with some lead FFS.
    Good post.

tac

Welcome back tac.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"

Quite right, well said.

I'd like to add that as far as "silencers" go it's often a valid term IMO on some of the airguns I've seen, or rather just about heard. moderator is of course more accurate though for firearms.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    Quite right, well said.

I'd like to add that as far as "silencers" go it's often a valid term IMO on some of the airguns I've seen, or rather just about heard. moderator is of course more accurate though for firearms.
    PEDANT ALERT

1. Air rifles are firearms
    2. A well modded .22 with subs is quieter than almost all air rifles as its only really the action you hear on both and the RF is quieter.

Agree totally with Chris's post though
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post

1. Air rifles are firearms

If that were true air rifle owners would need a firearms licence wouldn't they.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Pedant alert.

They are. But under the act those not capable of over 12ft-lb are those not requiring a license even though they're a firearm. That's why laws broken with them also carry firearm penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

They are. But under the act those not capable of over 12ft-lb are those not requiring a license even though they're a firearm. That's why laws broken with them also carry firearm penalties.

As proper firearms use a chemical propellant to operate there are probably millions of Americans (and others) that would not only disagree with you but laugh at you as well, I have to agree. We both know Rob that the only reason the police, CPS and the judiciary CHOOSE to call a an air rifle a firearm is to demonise users should they end up in court. It just makes their life easier. You might obey the law Rob but surely you don't have to agree with the idiocy of it?

As proper firearms use a chemical propellant to operate there are probably millions of Americans (and others) that would not only disagree with you but laugh at you as well, I have to agree. We both know Rob that the only reason the police, CPS and the judiciary CHOOSE to call a an air rifle a firearm is to demonise users should they end up in court. It just makes their life easier. You might obey the law Rob but surely you don't have to agree with the idiocy of it?
    No. I wasn't commenting on that though.

If you want to check out the idiocy have a word with your FEO about putting an airgun on and off ticket. Apparently you can't because once on it's a firearm. Unless you speak to Dorset which up until at least a few years ago said it could be done (verbally) but that you needed an RFD to make a material change the the rifle...

The whole air pistol over 6ft-lb being a sect 5 is just the icing on the cake.

I don't think they want to demonise them. Someone just wrote laws and then kept amending them without fully realising the implications. The CPS have already got themselves tangled up over semi autos.

The whole act needs a re-write.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    I think we all need to calm down with a nice cup of tea, and enjoy watching the steam as it wafts out of the top of the boiling kettle. [pedant bait alert!]
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

They do if they are considered specially dangerous i.e. over 12 ft-lb, a firearm is defined in law as "a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged".

Air rifles are firearms, just because you're ignorant of the fact, doesn't mean it's not a fact
    Thanks for looking

They do if they are considered specially dangerous i.e. over 12 ft-lb, a firearm is defined in law as "a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged".

Air rifles are firearms, just because you're ignorant of the fact, doesn't mean it's not a fact
    Oddly Scott, they still struggle wit defining lethal believe it or not

Oddly Scott, they still struggle wit defining lethal believe it or not
    Yes I did read that in the the guidance, as that is subjective, mind mine proved lethal last on the four rabbits and pigeon that I knocked over with it!
    Thanks for looking

Yes I did read that in the the guidance, as that is subjective, mind mine proved lethal last on the four rabbits and pigeon that I knocked over with it!
    So did mine bud, I was just having the conversation with the head FEO about it a while back.

IF we really wanted to be anal, lethal to what?

Children have been killed by sub 12 fpe air rifles...lethal....proven...go figure (not you Scotty, general comment mate)

CO2 is a chemical, as is air. Its a compound of elements containing Oxygen amongst other things. Add dieseling lubes and you get combustion.

No idiocy, its like the old Guns/weapons/rifles shite. We bicker they are not weapons because it somehow demonises them. The powers that be dont have time to write "Pistols, cannons, rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers, mortars etc", they just say "weapons". We seem to forget what they were designed to do and somehow conveniently filter this out to keep our feel good filter clear.

Firearms are the same, its convenient, learn to live with it. Unless you want another tier for "Air Pistols, cannons, rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers, mortars etc under 12 fpe and Pistols, cannons, rifles, machine guns, rocket launchers, mortars over 12 fpe". Feel free to administer that and pay for it....I wont hold my breath.

Firearms, get over it.