Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead wheel weights

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Do you come up north on your travels
    Yes but unfortunately only on holiday visits which leaves no space in the car sorry

What about just heating them up outside, in a steel saucepan with a gas burner (or even on a charcoal BBQ). All the dross including the steel clips can be skimmed off the top, then just tip them into the frog of a brick to form rough cast ingots.

Scrap lead would be about £1 = Kilo.

Hiram P Maxim invented the silencer and called his invention a silencer. Hard to argue with that!

I use the term 'bullet heads' to avoid the inevitable follow up question "do you mean live rounds or just the heads?"
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

some people are never wrong and know everything and will never be told anything

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikard View Post
    These are definitely lead, just melted a few of them but the scrapyards want them without the metal/steel tabs
    Understandable. Is it worth your while melting them into ingots (the frog of a dry housebrick is a good size)? - the steel tabs will float off.

[EDIT: I see 1066 beat me to it]
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Hiram P Maxim invented the silencer and called his invention a silencer. Hard to argue with that!

I use the term 'bullet heads' to avoid the inevitable follow up question "do you mean live rounds or just the heads?"
    But in the UK we are subject to UK firearms law and not Maxim's patent. Not arguing with it, take it up with the Home Office.

I just hate the term, not because I don't know what it means, but because it gives credibility to the term "bullet" to mean a cartridge, which is plain wrong and gives rise to the ambiguity you mention. While "bullet head" clearly means "bullet", it comes to pass that "bullet" might mean "bullet" or "cartridge", and that is why I don't like "bullet head".
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    What about just heating them up outside, in a steel saucepan with a gas burner (or even on a charcoal BBQ). All the dross including the steel clips can be skimmed off the top, then just tip them into the frog of a brick to form rough cast ingots.

Scrap lead would be about £1 = Kilo.
    Thanks I will give it a go, the best price for scrap lead round here is £0:75 a kilo !!!

Junes1 is offline Not much point really in that case
    Lead seems to have risen markedly of late from 65p to £1.05. Wheel weights are worth less regardless of the metal tags because it is an alloy and needs refining into its base metals of lead, antimony etc. They would be a godsend to a reloader so don't waste them on the scrappy. If you were local I would have bought them but would suggest they are only worth half the scrap lead price as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    The term "Silencer" appears nowhere in HO Guidance or firearms law. I prefer to use the correct legal term, rather than that used loosely by the media and fiction writers, but agreed, it is not all that bad since meaning from context is usually clear.

Really? Have a look at the Home Office circular 031 / 2007 The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 (Commencement No 3) Order 2007. Moderators are also referred to as silencers. And in the Department of Business, Inovation and Skills, their Notice to Importers 2878 also utilises the term moderators AND silencers interchangeably. And then we have the much vaunted scoping document of the Law Commission, authored by Rudi Fortson Q.C. At the behest of the Home Office....Yep, you guessed it! Silencers is an interchangeable term with moderator and suppressor!

So as opposed to "appears nowhere", the term silencer, in the context of UK firearms law, trade, business and end users, is not only an acceptable term, but a widespread term.

You might want to consider your position when trying to correct/bully/put down others when attempting to have them conform to your illeducated and narrow view...

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    ...... You might want to consider your position when trying to correct/bully/put down others when attempting to have them conform to your illeducated and narrow view...
    Well said.

Thanks I will give it a go, the best price for scrap lead round here is £0:75 a kilo !!!
    Most sea anglers also cast their own weights so would take any lead in a heartbeat.

Yes but unfortunately only on holiday visits which leaves no space in the car sorry
    Worth a try....would have bought the lot off ya

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    Really? Have a look at the Home Office circular 031 / 2007 The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 (Commencement No 3) Order 2007. Moderators are also referred to as silencers. And in the Department of Business, Inovation and Skills, their Notice to Importers 2878 also utilises the term moderators AND silencers interchangeably. And then we have the much vaunted scoping document of the Law Commission, authored by Rudi Fortson Q.C. At the behest of the Home Office....Yep, you guessed it! Silencers is an interchangeable term with moderator and suppressor!

So as opposed to "appears nowhere", the term silencer, in the context of UK firearms law, trade, business and end users, is not only an acceptable term, but a widespread term.

You might want to consider your position when trying to correct/bully/put down others when attempting to have them conform to your illeducated and narrow view...
    OK loose writing on my part. I was intending the HO Publication "Guide on Firearms Licencing Law" and not all HO Publications (probably no-one could be confident about the content of such a huge body of work and certainly not me), but I agree that my wording was capable of wider interpretation - guilty of the very ambiguity I was railing against!.

That document, specifically the April 2016 version, mentions moderators, but does not contain the word "silencer".

The circular 013/2007 mentions silencer only once and mentions moderator only once - both in the single phrase "moderators (silencers)" and clearly here the legal term is moderator.

The other documents you mention I have not checked so will concede that perhaps their intention is to use them interchangeably.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    OK loose writing on my part. I was intending the HO Publication "Guide on Firearms Licencing Law" and not all HO Publications (probably no-one could be confident about the content of such a huge body of work and certainly not me), but I agree that my wording was capable of wider interpretation - guilty of the very ambiguity I was railing against!.

That document, specifically the April 2016 version, mentions moderators, but does not contain the word "silencer".

The circular 013/2007 mentions silencer only once and mentions moderator only once - both in the single phrase "moderators (silencers)" and clearly here the legal term is moderator.

The other documents you mention I have not checked so will concede that perhaps their intention is to use them interchangeably.
    You my friend need to get a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    You my friend need to get a hobby.
    Shooting perhaps?
    TANSTAAFL