Thread: Diana 48 valuation

Diana 48 valuation

I have a Diana 48 .22 side lever in good overall condition and I'm interested in finding it's worth.
    A small area of black paint missing on the barrel at the cylinder end, in fact should it even have black paint?
    Pics shows the areas I feel are important to help find a value re condition, nothing serious but need to be shown.

http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/st...how/Diana%2048
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

I sold one two years ago for £160 if that helps. Not the easiest gun to sell for me

Actually it's a Diana 48 'Firebird' (which tells me it is a T 01 trigger unit and gives a rough estimate of age).

To find the actual age look above the trigger just above stock line on the left of the cylinder / receiver it should be marked 'mm yy' but you might need a magnifying glass!

The visible 'Barrel' is actually a sleeve over the real barrel which is held in place by the front sight ramp, they were originally 'blued' but never quite as deep or lustrous as the cylinder / receiver - so the paint has been applied to cover the loss of blueing - which happens easily with that part.

The other spots of rusting look like someone has handled the gun with blood on their hands and not cleaned it off after.

I've always thought the Model 48 was designed with the the US market in mind, (it's really only the stock which differs from the Model 52).

You could replace the barrel sleeve (about £20, IIRC) and do some tidying up of the rust patches) but I would agree with Peddy on Top Price. £135-145 is more likely.

If you need a Rat Rifle / general workhorse springer this gun would last forever (given lots of oily rub downs), so you could keep it if you have that above requirement.

Thanks for the info guys.
    I have it only due to a general liking of old Diana's/Original's.
    Had it a couple of years and never really touched it, I was initially put off by the side lever but I put a few slugs through it yesterday and quite like it.
    The date is June 1980 by the way.
    No sleeves listed as in stock from the usual places so I'll live with it as it is. I could always take it off to strip and powder coat maybe some time.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I have it only due to a general liking of old Diana's/Original's.
    Had it a couple of years and never really touched it, I was initially put off by the side lever but I put a few slugs through it yesterday and quite like it.
    The date is June 1980 by the way.
    No sleeves listed as in stock from the usual places so I'll live with it as it is. I could always take it off to strip and powder coat maybe some time.
    Have closer look ,June 80 wise. I believe 86 was first year from what I've seen. Nice to see the huntress too,
    As for the firebird model .most were in 52 stock guise well those that I have. Only seen a couple of 48 plain stocked models with firebird insert.
    Early side leavers were 52 models I think ,48 stock came in as result of cutting manufacture costs I guess.
    But it could be 48 models were for export to states not sure here.
    All the same cracking rifles ,not as well engineered or rated over the 80 as highly but I would take a 48/52/54 over an 80 any day ,just my personal choice.
    Love it even with its patches .
    Enjoy
    Guessing it's 86/88

I took he best pic I could close up, slight blur but this is how I read June 80 the second pair (80) are not as deeply stamped. One thing though the 8 looks like it was stamped upside down as the upper circle is larger.
    Flip it the other way and read from the top you'd have Aug 90 .

Any serial numbers on these that would help?

Steve

Stamp

I took he best pic I could close up, slight blur but this is how I read June 80 the second pair (80) are not as deeply stamped. One thing though the 8 looks like it was stamped upside down as the upper circle is larger.
    Flip it the other way and read from the top you'd have Aug 90 .

Any serial numbers on these that would help?

Never seen one upside down but re the figure 8 smaller circle would be on top meaning 08 90. No serial. Number so this date stamp gives what you need.
    Cracking rifles ,simple to improve .
    Those little rust spots buy some rust removing jell or liquid that neutralises with water and leaves no residue or coating after killing rust and apply carefully with fine art paint brush just to the rust not the blued areas ,be very careful not to cause loss or damage to good bluing only rust .once sorted heat with drier and treat with touch up bluing . I used that g96 stuff for spots .pretty good and easy to use.
    Or just keep em well oiled up .
    Beep beep
    Love it .
    Last edited by original45; 23-07-2016 at 03:24 PM.

So even if it was stamped upside down, surely unlikely, were they made in 1990? and then would it still be a T01?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    Those little rust spots buy some rust removing jell or liquid
    Ouch, that removes blueing quicker than you can wipe it off...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Bluing and rust treatment

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Ouch, that removes blueing quicker than you can wipe it off...
    Sorry didn't make myself clear enough by using fine art brush for detail treatment of rust only .have updated info.
    Cheers for that ,could have been painful .eek

Made in 90

So even if it was stamped upside down, surely unlikely, were they made in 1990? and then would it still be a T01?
    Yes still t 01 model trigger unit piston type .still made today with some changes .
    Def upside down ,firebirds I have from 87 to 89 are all 52 guise .

Didn't seriously consider date stamp could be upside down but does make sense, clearly a 48 but 1990 then?.
    I am familiar with rust kill gel, I have a classic car!!
    Last edited by stevegv8; 23-07-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: detail
    Steve

Yup ,date looks to be 90 for sure just upside down.
    For the Australian market ?

I just noticed it has a serial of 96xxxx

Thanks for all the info everyone.
    Last edited by stevegv8; 23-07-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    Steve

It will be 1990, my 52 Firebird appears to be be "80" but is in fact '90' - tricky size of stamping maybe (and the 'mm yy' stamp was put on the assembled gun not just when the receiver part was made). Sadly M&G / Diana have followed all the other airgun makers (AFAIK) and now put a weird number code on their guns.

The 'Firebird' models are largely unknown in the US, in fact the UK seems to be where the majority ended-up (dunno why), and as said above I've never seen a Firebird 48 - as I said earlier the stock is the main diff. between 52's & 48's and the Firebird models were only significant in having 'upgraded stocks' - yours is still plainly () a 48 stock.

Yes, it does appear that Messrs Chambers have just run out of stock for 'BRL 131' - they certainly had them approx 3 weeks ago.