Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Century The Most Overpriced 'Classic'?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

BSA Century The Most Overpriced 'Classic'?

The schnabel-stocked BSA Airsporter Century always seems to command prices far higher than it appears to be worth.

In my small experience of Airsporters, the best ones are the Mk 1, the Mk 2, the 'S' and the RB2. The Century just seems to be a 'classic' because they only made 1000 (I mean 1000! that's a lot, certainly compared to the much more interesting Falke 80 which only numbers 400 total), and because everyone has conspired to name it as a classic. I wonder how many of them have actually been shot? They are all in their boxes with their buffer washers turning to cheese aren't they? Or am I wrong, did BSA 'do' something to this pedestrian version to make it work better than its contemporaries which were not fitted into the long stock?
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 22-07-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Cool airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The schnabel-stocked BSA Airsporter Century always seems to command prices far more than it appears to be worth.

In my small experience of Airsporters, the best ones are the Mk 1, the Mk 2, the 'S' and the RB2. The Century just seems to be a 'classic' because they only made 1000 (I mean 1000! that's a lot, certainly compared to the much more interesting Falke 80 which only numbers 400 total), and because everyone has conspired to name it as a classic. I wonder how many of them have actually been shot? They are all in their boxes with their buffer washers turning to cheese aren't they? Or am I wrong, did BSA 'do' something to this pedestrian version to make it work better than its contemporaries which were not fitted into the long stock?
    spot on in my book could not have put it better

Most of the bits and pieces with the Century

seemed to have come from abroad! It was the sort of gun a bloke broke his neck to aquire then bust his gut getting rid of it! Cruel but true?

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    The schnabel-stocked BSA Airsporter Century always seems to command prices far higher than it appears to be worth.

Quite probably!
    The Centenary model is basically an 'S' action in a longer walnut stock, it's a collectors item as only 1000 were produced, there are other production Airsporters that were made in smaller numbers. (I believe)
    I wanted one for a long time and eventually picked up a tidy one - a 'shooter' for little more than a good 'S' - so I was happy!
    It's probably no worse or better than the Carbine 'S' Airsporter I also have - I wouldn't sell either!
    Are the mint boxed ones worth paying over £800? that depends upon who wants to buy!

ASM
    Brexit voter and proud British citizen and patriot (once more)
    The E.U. is built on pure Poopenshtinken!
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    In my small experience of Airsporters, the best ones are the Mk 1, the Mk 2, the 'S' and the RB2.
    agreed, but less so the "s"
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Having owned several Airsporters including a mk1 and an s version.

The only one I regret parting with was a .25 rotary breech carbine.

One of the best looking air rifles.

My .22 was hopeless to shoot.
    Somebody had worked on it and the transfer port had been enlarged-badly.

So I don't know what a nice one is like.

I have a vgc mk2 in .22 which shoots well.
    It satisfys my Airsporter needs.

On the nail!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I like them a lot, they are a fine looking air rifle and were the beginning of new era for Bsa - or the end of its previous one. However I certainly wouldn't part with vast sums of money for one (or any other modernish rifle). Interestingly as a youngster with a meteor, I remember the whole package being discounted down as old stock to less than the price of a new Airsporter S by the wholesalers in the airgun mags.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

I bet they never made 1000

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I bought mine from Guns and Ammo on The Whicker in Sheffield, Summer 1983. I still have it and shoot it quite often. It's not "mint" any more, but it's still in good nick and I've still got all the accessories in their various packets and boxes.
    With H&N pointed it'll put pellet after pellet into a ragged group at 25 yards from the standing position.
    A couple of years ago I re-aquainted myself with it after a long period of not using it. At first it was stiff and sluggish, and I immediately thought the buffer washer must have turned to "cheese". I stripped it down to inspect it, but the washer was good as new, so I degreased everything, re-lubed it, put it back together and it shot very nicely indeed. I shot my first ever rabbit with that rifle many moons ago.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's every inch a classic, and 1000 is far from a lot when even the humble Meteor has sold well over 1000000.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

The Centenary is without doubt a classic, let down by the rather plain stock. I understand BSA management decided not to use the well figured walnut option originally planned on the basis of cost. Apparently the rifle never made BSA a penny in profit.

I have a nice .177 with a full compliment of accessories and it shoots well enough. It has the feel of a full bore stalking rifle, which was always the intention. The Centenary tends to attract a lot of interest when offered for sale, so the fact remains it is a popular model. If I had to be picky, I'd say there was too much alloy and plastic when compared to the Mk 1 or Mk 2 and if push came to shove, I would choose a well maintained Mk1 or 2 over the Centenary if I had to. Hopefully I never will!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Mmmm...I thought the Centenary was an ugly looking thing - the only thing good about it was that if one was short of firewood out camping (no, I don't a Hampstead Heath jobby) it had potential. Cut carefully it could be made to look a bit "normal" like a Airsporter say?

I sold my mint one last year and got good money for it.
    Its a fine looking rifle with some lovely extras. It points like an Airsporter should. BSA couldn't sell them, a thousand, as at the price they asked at the time it was too high. The reason was the Airsporter action just wasn't a HW77. They ended up discounting the last few hundred.

Both BSA and Webley tried to up their game with better wood and finish, but they failed in the design department until later. Both companies were struggling.

Anyhow, its worth what people are willing to pay and they do get when mint the premium price. Fairly easily too, especially if a .177. There are probably rarer and later BSA's to be had; Webleys too. But many might buy the Centenary and be happy not to shoot it because they shoot PCP's. They are just a lovely item to own. Air Logic Genesis's come into this category. Just that they are a BSA, and a hyped special one, is enough.

Collectors and enthusiasts always grumble about the price, so they just get outbid by those who don't care because you only live once and they want one, now. A stripy custom HW77 may well be fabulous but it isn't a BSA Centenary.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Mmmm...I thought the Centenary was an ugly looking thing - the only thing good about it was that if one was short of firewood out camping (no, I don't a Hampstead Heath jobby) it had potential. Cut carefully it could be made to look a bit "normal" like a Airsporter say?
    Says he who rated the 'Rectum' Tornado as the best looking rifle of all time http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....66#post6959966 (post 6)

Beauty is 'in the eye of the beholder'!

Overpriced - maybe - but I certainly didn't pay over the odds for mine, (Centenary)
    I bought it locally (I could walk to the house) the chap had owned 3 of them and was selling all his rifles (he was a collector) He sold one, a .177 for £1500 to a guy who travelled down from Scotland, so clearly there's a demand/market for them?
    Mine is a nice one, I happen to think it's beautiful and nicely made and finished, I will never sell it, but when it does sell - I will bet it will fetch a lot more than I paid for it, meanwhile it's mine and I will enjoy it for as long as I am 'custodian'!
    Personally, I still think a good Mk 1 is the best overall Airsporter though - if you own one (and again I am lucky that I do!) you can consider it the best of the marque! (In my opinion)

ASM
    Brexit voter and proud British citizen and patriot (once more)
    The E.U. is built on pure Poopenshtinken!
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.