Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Century The Most Overpriced 'Classic'?

Mmmm....Ah! Airsporterman, much more efficient than the NSA or GCHQ....! I am guilty of doing a bit of master baiting.......

All the best to all!

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Having owned several Airsporters including a mk1 and an s version.

The only one I regret parting with was a .25 rotary breech carbine.
    Now I suspect that would be rarer than a Centenary - I would like one of those!

OMG - it's the dreaded 'Airsporteritis' - it's coming back again ......Help!

ASM
    Brexit voter and proud British citizen and patriot (once more)
    The E.U. is built on pure Poopenshtinken!
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Mmmm....Airsporterman: I am currently going cold turkey period and sworn to never, ever again, that was the last one, last Thursday. But, there is something about sniffing those oldies, stroking the wood and rubbing oil on a solid barrel......I have managed my condition for four days now and doing well, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Mmmm....Airsporterman: I am currently going cold turkey period and sworn to never, ever again, that was the last one, last Thursday. But, there is something about sniffing those oldies, stroking the wood and rubbing oil on a solid barrel......I have managed my condition for four days now and doing well, I think?
    Lol!
    Is that since you bought a nice RB2 a few months ago!
    Yes I know all about the 'pervertions' and attractions of older rifles!
    Now - there's room for a .25 Airsporter in my family somewhere!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Mmmm...Airsporterman; Yes that is I, along with a Superstar last Thursday...how do you know all these things?....Convinced you work for GCHQ, therefore, should be easy to track down that 0.25.......
    All the best.....

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Mmmm...Airsporterman; Yes that is I, along with a Superstar last Thursday...how do you know all these things?....Convinced you work for GCHQ, therefore, should be easy to track down that 0.25.......
    All the best.....
    Lol!

'God' and Airsporterman are said to move in mysterious ways! (I'ts just the way I walk! ) There's not much happening out there in Airsporteritis world that I don't get to hear about!
    Are Centenary models overpriced? - Yes I think so, however, something is worth what someone is willing to pay! A lot are bought by 'collectors' who have no intention of shooting them (a shame) as it instantly devalues them!
    I have a 'log' of all the Centenary rifles sold for many years. (is that sad or what? ) Seriously, I just have an irrational interest in them! ('Airsporteritis' again)
    £1000 seems a going rate for a mint, boxed example, but the .177s can go for more, I have the exact numbers of each cal made - around 1/4 were .177s - not my cal though as .22 and .25 cal is my preferred cal.
    I saw one Centenary model sold in the freeads as an airsporter for very little - he clearly didn't know what he had- so I just missed out and someone got a bargain!
    Pleased with mine - the stock is nice, I didn't get all the bits but it came with the certificate, BSA cloth badge, I got a nice leather sling made up with Airsporter Centenary 1980 etched onto it and the other bits were pretty 'cack' by all accounts anyway - so I'm not bothered I didn't get them. It's a shooter and it gets shot!
    .25 Airsporter will be 'challenging'!
    atb

ASM

I'm no Airsporter fan, nor particularly knowledgable about them. I've given my view on the merit of why Centenary's make good money. However I think there are some rarer Airsporters to be had from the 1980's.

After the Centenary there were some Airsporter S's made and the Challenger. BSA found some Walnut of a reasonable colour and did some press chequering. As the company was struggling the runs weren't long. The GoldStar was their salvation and good rifle, but its the ones just before that must be collectable. Not many made, hard to find and pretty nice wood.

These don't make that much a premium though mint examples are getting above £300. So they should for just their scarcety. I don't collect but if I did tese are the ones worth snapping up when found.

Blond Airsporter S's from the early 80's also should be cherished as they haven't so far and will get difficult to find. A good amount were made though.

Lastly, put a scope on an Airsporter and they are very average. Shoot with iron sights and then they point and shoot brilliantly; to the point in skilled hand they can take out any critter in the farmyard.

BSA Century The Most Overpriced 'Classic'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    agreed, but less so the "s"
    I agree I had an "s" in for re-springing thats piston fit was so tight without the buffer washer & "o" ring it would only make 8ft/lbs. The owner wouldn't let me polish the piston down for a better fit, or cut down the 0x spring he supplied for a better firing cycle, as he said it would devalue it as it wouldn't be original then! This was just a couple of years ago btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Now I suspect that would be rarer than a Centenary - I would like one of those!

OMG - it's the dreaded 'Airsporteritis' - it's coming back again ......Help!

ASM
    The .25 was part of a house clearance carried out by a mate with a second hand shop in the city.

"How much?" I asked him "£120,knock it off the repair bill for my jeep" was the reply.

Got it home and was puzzled by the lack of a calibre marked on the action.

A brief call to Mr Knibbs confirmed it was a .25.

Swapped it and a Mk3 Webley for a new Scorpion PCP with a dealer in Northwich.

It's the only time I've taken two guns out of their slips and had a trader grin and say "I like them".

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    The .25 was part of a house clearance carried out by a mate with a second hand shop in the city.

"How much?" I asked him "£120,knock it off the repair bill for my jeep" was the reply.

Got it home and was puzzled by the lack of a calibre marked on the action.

A brief call to Mr Knibbs confirmed it was a .25.

Swapped it and a Mk3 Webley for a new Scorpion PCP with a dealer in Northwich.

It's the only time I've taken two guns out of their slips and had a trader grin and say "I like them".
    WoW!
    That will have been a rare Airsporter mate!

ASM