Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New daystate on the 30th July!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    You think I've missed the point? That's almost as funny as your first comment.
    I didn't need cheering up by the way, I'm not unhappy about anything.
    Your personal insult says much more about you than it does me. If you can't come up with a lucid opinion you should just write nothing, stamping your feet will just make you look a bit thick.

Chris
    Oh dear we are confused aren't we. Nevermind I'm sure you'll get it with practice

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg View Post
    ..it's a pretty gun

All these comments on power and do I have a home office approved chrono...hahahahaha! What a crock of shite!

I have a decent chrono, I have a LOT of rifles, lots of other brands with test certificates which are pretty bang on with my own tests, apart from the daystate! I'm not the only one, hundreds of people have complained and had them returned to the factory for "repair" and once back most of them were corrected. So..in light of them being returned and power now being correct, i officially call bullshit on their test certificates. Personally I think they were put together with the wrong top hat on the hammer Spring, probably from another model. They sure as hell didn't test them as per the certificates.
    What is a crock of shite is the number of muppets who crop up using different usernames to berate Daystate. They always know better than the manufacturer and never admit that their internal fumblings buggered a perfectly usable gun. Its always the same group banging on. If you are so clever why did you not ask the supplying dealer to crono it before you took it home. DRRRRR that was beyond your comprehension wasn't it!!!!!!
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    What is a crock of shite is the number of muppets who crop up using different usernames to berate Daystate. They always know better than the manufacturer and never admit that their internal fumblings buggered a perfectly usable gun. Its always the same group banging on. If you are so clever why did you not ask the supplying dealer to crono it before you took it home. DRRRRR that was beyond your comprehension wasn't it!!!!!!
    Actually, we tested the x4 of them in stock and they all came up short. All four were under 10.6 which in the real world isnt a big deal but the certificate is a lie...FACT!

I've been a mechanical engineer for over 20 years, worked on all of my own rifles, made custom parts for airguns and centrefires so I'm not afraid of tinkering. They are not complicated at all. The quality comparison between Daystate and lets say, Weihrauch (the cheaper guns) is night and day. Daystate finishing is terrible and has been for a long time..they need to be called out on this and all the fanboys arent helping as they clearly dont know better OR have been super lucky and gotten a rifle that the builder actually gave a toss about.

pellet probe - groove in the top for the bearing to sit in has burrs down the full length causing the bolt to feel like its in grit.
    bolt handle - Nice stainless bolt with black allen bolts -WFT! for the sake of a penny!
    hammer cylinder - not even finished, rough edges, outside of the tube isnt even finished, its cut from the raw length then slapped on
    trigger guard - plastic....PLASTIC! and bolted on with a mechano set.
    barrel shroud - Screws at the back, one was rounded off so needed to be drilled out.
    main body/bolt housing - Annodising is so thin its worn through to bare alloy on the sharp edges - all four in the store were like this.
    main body screws were loose, even the anti tampers were finger tight
    hammer spring - looks like it was chewed from a larger spring. The twang from this is stupid loud.

Fixed all that (apart from the annodising) and now its fine..but I would have expected Daystate to do that for an £800 rifle!

I also bought a Weihrauch HW100K at the same time...the list of things I needed to do to that to get it right is below...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    There really is no end to your excuses is there? Why can't you just accept that many people are very dissatisfied with Daystate?
    Do you really think that people could be bothered to have multiple user names just to complain about Daystate?
    One more question, what colour are the clouds on your planet?

Chris

Why is the gun being announced on a Saturday? Is this normal for this manufacturer?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Why is the gun being announced on a Saturday? Is this normal for this manufacturer?

A.G
    its at kibworth shootin ground. Called a Daystate open day

http://www.kibworthshootingground.co...rifle-shooting

Interesting post from Rickyg regarding engineering issues with Daystate. I have no axe to grind as I have so far found the Daystates I own or have owned to be OK ... except for my Merlyn on which the loading bolt does feel rough when cocking. One day I will get round to smoothing it out.
    I enjoyed Neil Price's article on a trip to Daystate in a recent AirGunner but it did raise a few questions in my mind. I can only wonder if the power of every rifle is checked and adjusted during assembly or if it is assembled according to some set parameters regarding hammer spring tension, adjustment etc with no regard to a chrono check. Maybe the assembler works simply by 'eye' when turning adjustment screws in a set number of turns? This could explain the variance in power output between rifles ... I am still not sure if every rifle in a batch is tested or if the certificate provided is a certificate for a representative of a batch; with batch possibly defined as a number of rifles assembled by a single individual in a time span e.g. a morning. I doubt if we will ever know. I would like to think this thought is nonsense. Certainly the variation between what users are finding on receipt of their new rifle and what is printed on the certificate cannot all be due to chrono issues with the purchaser.

Another post somewhere mentioned mixing old imperial (BA?) threads and metric. I have found this but do wonder why.

Cheers, Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg View Post
    its at kibworth shootin ground. Called a Daystate open day

http://www.kibworthshootingground.co...rifle-shooting
    Thanks for the info Ricky. I did see the openday notice on their site but didn't make the connection.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Interesting post from Rickyg regarding engineering issues with Daystate. I have no axe to grind as I have so far found the Daystates I own or have owned to be OK ... except for my Merlyn on which the loading bolt does feel rough when cocking. One day I will get round to smoothing it out.
    I enjoyed Neil Price's article on a trip to Daystate in a recent AirGunner but it did raise a few questions in my mind. I can only wonder if the power of every rifle is checked and adjusted during assembly or if it is assembled according to some set parameters regarding hammer spring tension, adjustment etc with no regard to a chrono check. Maybe the assembler works simply by 'eye' when turning adjustment screws in a set number of turns? This could explain the variance in power output between rifles ... I am still not sure if every rifle in a batch is tested or if the certificate provided is a certificate for a representative of a batch; with batch possibly defined as a number of rifles assembled by a single individual in a time span e.g. a morning. I doubt if we will ever know. I would like to think this thought is nonsense. Certainly the variation between what users are finding on receipt of their new rifle and what is printed on the certificate cannot all be due to chrono issues with the purchaser.

Another post somewhere mentioned mixing old imperial (BA?) threads and metric. I have found this but do wonder why.

Cheers, Phil.
    Yup a mix of metric and imperial too. if you want to remove the pellet probe there is a cap head allen bolt screwed into the probe you need to remove and thats imperial. another note this has reminded me of..Rather than Daystate making a custom screw to go into the probe so its smooth on the outside, they just used a standard cap head and ground the ridges off the screw! they basically built the guns out of mostly off the shelf parts and mod things they find to work. no custom fixings. Just look at the safety mechanism and you will know what I mean. No other manufacturer does this that I know of..even the cheaper air arms are better made.

I own a Daystate, I am not a diehard fan, I only have the one decent PCP (my Mki4 IS).

I picked up my second hand rifle primarily because it was: nearby, correct calibre, within budget and most importantly – left hand.

I hadn't owned a modern air rifle for some time and the one I ended up with just happened to be a Daystate. It has had a few thousand rounds through it since it has been in my hands, never missed a beat in any way whatsoever and is way more accurate than I am.

I don't believe Daystate could be where they are in the hierarchy of the airgun manufacturing industry if they did not produce great products. I think for every unhappy (but loud) owner/ex-owner there are probably hundreds of happy (but quiet) owners.

It is also unfortunate that there is always an element within any community that are perhaps not so blessed with the same social skills that most people take for granted. And as a result it can even appear that they derive some sort of simple pleasure from antagonising others.

I'm not for a moment insinuating that some of those posting on this thread are perfect examples of that though.
    Last edited by dtdukok; 29-07-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Yeap, No doubt another over priced, under engineered ugly looking mutation of plywood and metal that all the "Jones's" must have although they only go to the local range and shoot for 5 minutes and talk a good FTT comp. Will obviously have to have the named optics on it just to make sure it nudges it gets it closer to the 3k mark. And its bound to spend 99% of its time in the case until the next overpriced "gizit" from daystate comes out and then it will come out of its case to be sold for another uber 3k gun and scope combo.
    Seen it soo many times!

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy759 View Post
    Yeap, No doubt another over priced, under engineered ugly looking mutation of plywood and metal that all the "Jones's" must have although they only go to the local range and shoot for 5 minutes and talk a good FTT comp. Will obviously have to have the named optics on it just to make sure it nudges it gets it closer to the 3k mark. And its bound to spend 99% of its time in the case until the next overpriced "gizit" from daystate comes out and then it will come out of its case to be sold for another uber 3k gun and scope combo.
    Seen it soo many times!
    I only sell a rifle of mine when the barrel is worn out ( joking ofcourse but you know what I mean ). No time for buying/selling guns.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by dtdukok View Post
    I own a Daystate, I am not a diehard fan, I only have the one decent PCP (my Mki4 IS).

I picked up my rifle primarily because it was: nearby, correct calibre, within budget and most importantly – left hand.

I hadn't owned a modern air rifle for some time and the one I ended up with just happened to be a Daystate. It has had a few thousand rounds through it since it has been in my hands, never missed a beat in any way whatsoever and is way more accurate than I am.

I don't believe Daystate could be where they are in the hierarchy of the airgun manufacturing industry if they did not produce great products. I think for every unhappy (but loud) owner/ex-owner there are probably hundreds of happy (but quiet) owners.

It is also unfortunate that there is always an element within any community that are perhaps not so blessed with the same social skills that most people take for granted. And as a result it can even appear that they derive some sort of simple pleasure from antagonising others.

I'm not for a moment insinuating that some of those posting on this thread are perfect examples of that though.
    Daystate got where they are by creating very good guns, none of the current ones though. I loved my mk3, it was a great rifle and I never had an issue. the wolverine and the regal I have are shoddy at best.

Quality is subjective. Like you said, you never owned a modern airgun and you bought the mk4is which is a great rifle, probably their biggest seller by a mile. Weihrauch and even air arms are miles ahead in the quality game. both my air arms S510 ultimate sporter and my weihrauch HW100k embarras the two daystates I currently own.

Accuracy on all three are superb when you find the right pellets, but fit and finish are miles apart. I'm not talking about what you can see, im taking under the hood. The daystates look beautiful, nice woodwork and a decent external finish, but remove it from the stock and do any work on them you will see how bad they are put together. Its like buying a ferrari only to look in the engine bay to find its an old toyota made to look like one and still charge you top dollar.

Both the air arms and weihrauch needed tinkering out of the box. the AA needed the silencer removed and the shroud re-fitting as it was pushing the barrel off centre, the weihrauch barrel was shockingly innacurate so I replaced it (turns out the crown was toast) but power, fit and finish are top class....and they are the cheaper rifles!

Just to put in to context the level of skill putting these together.

My regal has an anti tamper sticker between the trigger housing and the hammer cylinder. you dont need to remove the trigger housing at all to adjust the power or medle with the internals. useless.

Now I own a Daystate mk 3 RT,

Most accurate gun I have ever owned.

Sure there are a few things I would improve, but overall a bloody good accurate rifle.

Had an early HW 100 which kept creeping over the limit, Royal mail had it more than I did.

So all manufacturers have their fair share of problem guns, if you have a favorite manufacturer, stick to it, just because
    yours is different from someone elses, doesn't make their choice wrong.

Nealsey
    I'm back.