Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick springer fine tunning question?

Quick springer fine tunning question?

Ive short stroked my 177 HW98 to 79mm along with a delrin tophat and 4 thin delrin washers on the spring it was doing 10.9fpe with 7.33g falcons and 10.1fpe with 10.3g exact heavies so more power with lights.

I was finding it a bit liverly so put 4 steel washers in the piston and the gun shoots loads better and extremerly consistent over chrono though slightly over power.

Before -

7.33g = 10.9fpe
    10.3g = 10.1fpe

After 4 steel washers in piston

7.33g = 12.12fpe
    8.4g = 12.17fpe
    10.3g = 11.78fpe

So i have 4 delrin washers on the spring guide and 4 steel washers in the piston, im guessing to remove 2 from the spring guide though which would you guys remove?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Remove from the rear as its the weight balancing pellet preference.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Remove from the rear as its the weight balancing pellet preference.
    Thats what i was guessing as the delta was 0.8fpe then to 0.34fpe with the wieght in the piston and shootin sweeter.
    How about 3 washers of the rear then another steel washer in the piston?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Thats what i was guessing as the delta was 0.8fpe then to 0.34fpe with the wieght in the piston and shootin sweeter.
    How about 3 washers of the rear then another steel washer in the piston?
    Try it, but unless you're considering swapping pellets every few shots I'd just go for the right shot feel with your favoured pellet. (While checking power with all of them of course)
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I think Gecko is going in the right direction.Reduce spring shims.

Please let us know how you get on with it.

Ive short stroked my 177 HW98 to 79mm along with a delrin tophat and 4 thin delrin washers on the spring it was doing 10.9fpe with 7.33g falcons and 10.1fpe with 10.3g exact heavies so more power with lights.

I was finding it a bit liverly so put 4 steel washers in the piston and the gun shoots loads better and extremerly consistent over chrono though slightly over power.

Before -

7.33g = 10.9fpe
    10.3g = 10.1fpe

After 4 steel washers in piston

7.33g = 12.12fpe
    8.4g = 12.17fpe
    10.3g = 11.78fpe

So i have 4 delrin washers on the spring guide and 4 steel washers in the piston, im guessing to remove 2 from the spring guide though which would you guys remove?
    Its slamming a little mate , take a little weight out of the piston, it will also bring the power down a bit

Ok took a washer out of the piston and as follows.

7.33g = 11.76
    8.4 = 11.67
    10.3 = 11.20

What does it feel like to shoot.?

Ok took a washer out of the piston and as follows.

7.33g = 11.76
    8.4 = 11.67
    10.3 = 11.20
    very slight bounce now perfect, just turn it down a little ,remove some pre load from the trigger block end .

May I ask how thick the washers are? My guess is that the steel ones were c. 1mm thick?

Cheers, Phil

'' very slight bounce now perfect'' how do interpret the numbers to get a feel for the dynamics? It's intriguing,

If you balance the power with both light and heavy pellets you are on the safe side as far as power is concerned , its very easy to get it wrong, and have a gun shooting 11.5ft with 8.4gr and being over 12ft lb with 7.8 gr, the by product is that when balanced in this way the guns almost always feel nicer to shoot, well the ones I have done do , and I have done quite a few

Thanks for explaining. I think I understand.

So would I be right in thinking, in an ideal world , pellets of different weights,within reason, should be making similiar sort of power.

eg, a recent 22 hw95 that's had a piston extension and piston weight removed output is 16grn 10.9,14.3 10.85, 13.4grn 10.75 and 12grn 11-is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by seagate View Post
    Thanks for explaining. I think I understand.

So would I be right in thinking, in an ideal world , pellets of different weights,within reason, should be making similiar sort of power.

eg, a recent 22 hw95 that's had a piston extension and piston weight removed output is 16grn 10.9,14.3 10.85, 13.4grn 10.75 and 12grn 11-is that ok?
    Sounds lovely....and safely below, too.

Don't forget though, peeps, that the pellet fit and different release pressures for different pellets will also have a bearing here.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    very slight bounce now perfect, just turn it down a little ,remove some pre load from the trigger block end .
    Yep Nick think im gonna remove 1 washer from the spring guide then i feel like its going to be spot on.

Even in this afternoons windy conditions i started to print 10 shot groups at 35yards like my thumb nail, and i will admit i dont get on that well with sporter stocks that are flat bottom fore stocks like the HW98, pro sport and so on.

Just cleaned the barrel and it was filthy lots of patches to get clean.