Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design me a combo for HFT

Once again I am most grateful for all the suggestions. However, reading them I now think that I have been misunderstood at times .. not that it really matters. My key question maybe should have been: 'what advice can I give someone else who is not really financially challenged and wants to put together an HFT rig'. I apologise for not being clearer.... but as I said, even though some suggestions have been directed directly at me, they are still relevant, especially the scope information as my knowledge of scopes costing in excess of £100 is sadly lacking, tight g*t that I am. The suggestions so far have been excellent and I am producing a listing of the advice, even if the suggestion may not suit myself. for example, the EB Sniper is now added even though I tried one once and could not get on with it. Similarly, my eyes are getting old and I find very fine reticles a problem.

Very interesting that the MPR has been mentioned as I would not have thought about it. The S200 has had a mention but may be on the small side even though its pedigree is faultless. I am surprised there have not been more votes for the HFT500 as I remember it being heralded as virtually the answer to an HFT shooter's dreams ... more so than the FTP900 which, I think is clearly more FT orientated even though they do appear on the HFT scene in increasing numbers.
    I admit I had not thought of Impact rifles either, maybe because I have no experience of them or their Theoben parents, being restricted to knowledge of the latter's gas rams.
    Strange that Steyr did not appear on my mental radar ... thank you Chris ... my impression is that they are getting more common but I had never given them much attention, maybe because you can always tell when there is a Steyr on the firing line by the loud muzzle report. But maybe this is just an impression I have. I wonder if they are drifting down to HFT from the FT shooters.

I have not included 'boingers' here as I think there is less choice of quality rifles, HW77/97, TX200 and possibly the LGU and I think you have covered maybe 80% of the models used in HFT ... the rest being various breakbarrels from HW, LGV, Prosport, a few BSAs etc.

I could rattle on about a beautiful Park RH91 being superb as a recoil free springer but difficult to find, or even a Phoenix MK2 (strangely underrated even for HFT although a single shot loader makes life easier).

I am still interested in what other people think ...

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Again my prejudices-based on my experience and that of other shooters-leads me to counsel against a Daystate or BSA.

Most serious HFT shooters that I know well use either the Bushnell Elite 10x40 or the lovely EB Sniper but any decent quality scope with mildot reticle will do the job for you.. There are those who spend fortunes on scopes from those well known German and American makers but such extravagance isn't really necessary especially bearing in mind that HFT rules prohibit adjustment of scopes once the round has started. I never understood this: as HFT was meant to simulate hunting surely scopes could be adjusted but I don't make the rules so my view on this isn't worth very much.
    Good luck-hope you get something that suits you.
    I'd just like to pick up on a few of Nick's points. I agree that the BSA and Daystate rifles aren't as popular in HFT as you would expect. I've shot plenty of both that have been accurate enough but i find the BSA shot cycle a bit harsh and the Daystates appear to have movement (rearwards) during the firing cycle. Neither seem (IMHO) to shoot smoothly when resting on a peg or a tree.

On the scope front.....the Bushnell and EB tend not to have half mil dots so you're going to be missing some useful aimpoints. I've highlighed the comment about spending loads of money on scopes, the whole reason for this is because you can't alter your scope so you need a scope that is as flexible as possible with a single mag/px setting. Expensive optics tend to tick more HFT boxes but it's certainly not a guaranteed fix to spend 1k on glass....been there, done that and went back to a £100 Viper.

Edit....sorry Phil just saw your reply as i was typing mine. I would think that the Steyr is probably one of the most used rifle for HFT these days. Actually quite cheap to service and easy to do it yourself with no special tooling needed (apart from a reg checker).
    Last edited by ChrisC; 26-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

another one for the HW100. I love them, some say the ambi plank is grim..I'm one to disagree with that and think many that say this have not tried them. Yeah sure they are not pretty but they fit perfectly (for me), the grip is perfection which makes me not give two shites what it looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Once again I am most grateful for all the suggestions. However, reading them I now think that I have been misunderstood at times .. not that it really matters. My key question maybe should have been: 'what advice can I give someone else who is not really financially challenged and wants to put together an HFT rig'. I apologise for not being clearer.... but as I said, even though some suggestions have been directed directly at me, they are still relevant, especially the scope information as my knowledge of scopes costing in excess of £100 is sadly lacking, tight g*t that I am. The suggestions so far have been excellent and I am producing a listing of the advice, even if the suggestion may not suit myself. for example, the EB Sniper is now added even though I tried one once and could not get on with it. Similarly, my eyes are getting old and I find very fine reticles a problem.

Very interesting that the MPR has been mentioned as I would not have thought about it. The S200 has had a mention but may be on the small side even though its pedigree is faultless. I am surprised there have not been more votes for the HFT500 as I remember it being heralded as virtually the answer to an HFT shooter's dreams ... more so than the FTP900 which, I think is clearly more FT orientated even though they do appear on the HFT scene in increasing numbers.
    I admit I had not thought of Impact rifles either, maybe because I have no experience of them or their Theoben parents, being restricted to knowledge of the latter's gas rams.
    Strange that Steyr did not appear on my mental radar ... thank you Chris ... my impression is that they are getting more common but I had never given them much attention, maybe because you can always tell when there is a Steyr on the firing line by the loud muzzle report. But maybe this is just an impression I have. I wonder if they are drifting down to HFT from the FT shooters.

I have not included 'boingers' here as I think there is less choice of quality rifles, HW77/97, TX200 and possibly the LGU and I think you have covered maybe 80% of the models used in HFT ... the rest being various breakbarrels from HW, LGV, Prosport, a few BSAs etc.

I could rattle on about a beautiful Park RH91 being superb as a recoil free springer but difficult to find, or even a Phoenix MK2 (strangely underrated even for HFT although a single shot loader makes life easier).

I am still interested in what other people think ...

Cheers, Phil
    I was looking/hoping to purchase the HFT500 and tried one for a while. It was beautiful using in the prone position but to heavy (for me) kneeling and standing. So I compromised, in the end, MPR action in HFT500 stock.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC