Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: parallax error

parallax error

Evening gents
    I have missed a couple of targets recently at 12 o'clock and i'm thinking it may be parallax error.
    I understand that its caused by not looking through the scope's center but am I looking through it high or low ?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Simon

Is your scope P/A or fixed?

Try moving your head around when the gun is immovable, and if the crosshairs move in relation to the target, then you could be subject to parallax error if you don't maintain a consistent sight picture.

But if you do then there will be no error.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Try shooting in the first session, with any luck you'll be finished before 12 o'clock and won't need to worry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Try shooting in the first session, with any luck you'll be finished before 12 o'clock and won't need to worry
    bum-tish!
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    bum-tish!
    Please don't encourage anyone, no matter how eminent a shooter, who picks the low hanging fruit in pursuit of a cheap laugh.

It's a valid question. The image follows the viewing eye, the reticle (and the actual POI) obstinately stay put, so if your eye is too far below the axis of the scope, the image and indicated POI moves down, the pellet strikes high.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
    Evening gents
    I have missed a couple of targets recently at 12 o'clock and i'm thinking it may be parallax error.
    I understand that its caused by not looking through the scope's center but am I looking through it high or low ?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Simon
    Simon, you parallax your scope for every shot, it's how you rangefind in FT. Unless you were shooting a very blurry target i'd be looking to something else. If it's crisp in focus in high mag it's parallax free. Even if you've adjusted the eyebell way out it's not going to be 20mm out.

Thank you all

I understand that by using a side wheel in theory I should be bang on for parallax each time .
    I was maybe thinking i'm looking through the scope low or high on the cheek piece which is causing me to miss high.
    Its happened a couple of times lately so I may have to spend some time getting to the bottom of what's going on.
    Thank you for your input
    Simon

thought you were shooting hft with a question like that , but if you were then looking low in the scope would make your pellet strike low , but also in hft where most shooters set their parallax to go blurry at 45 yds will sometimes encounter that a target may not look so blurry in broad daylight as one would in the shade, causing the shooter to under range .I Don't shoot ft,maybe one day but wouldn't that be feasible?
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

Gloomy 2's

Quote Originally Posted by tugg View Post
    thought you were shooting hft with a question like that , but if you were then looking low in the scope would make your pellet strike low , but also in hft where most shooters set their parallax to go blurry at 45 yds will sometimes encounter that a target may not look so blurry in broad daylight as one would in the shade, causing the shooter to under range .I Don't shoot ft,maybe one day but wouldn't that be feasible?
    Different light condition do alter how you range a target .
    For me if it's bright I will get the target a little longer than it is . If it's tucked in a dark hole it will range shorter, so I add a couple of yards.
    I think it is call the gloomy 2's.
    If it's bright I normally range the tree the target is on , bark give great definition .
    I think there is something else going on ,so I will put some time in at my range.

sometimes in hot weather during the summer weeks or months if were lucky, we hft' ers notice shots will go high, only slightly but roughly a pellet splat at 45yds but which can equate to 40yd aimpoint.
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

I understand that by using a side wheel in theory I should be bang on for parallax each time .
    I was maybe thinking i'm looking through the scope low or high on the cheek piece which is causing me to miss high.
    Its happened a couple of times lately so I may have to spend some time getting to the bottom of what's going on.
    Thank you for your input
    Simon
    You should be yes. Going that high I'd be looking at power on the gun, or if something is loose.

No power issues

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    You should be yes. Going that high I'd be looking at power on the gun, or if something is loose.
    My rifle runs about 780fps with 8.4's , so it's not power.
    I'm thinking scope or pilot error, the later being the most likely.

My rifle runs about 780fps with 8.4's , so it's not power.
    I'm thinking scope or pilot error, the later being the most likely.
    No, the most likely is the gun. Unless you're going to shoot through a chrono when you are seeing the shots then you cannot say what the gun was shooting at. That doesn't mean a few shots at the club, it means simulating the period between shots and the conditions they're taken in. Could be a reg creeping, could be loads of things, all that don't happen when you put a few over the chrono in different conditions.

You can rule out the scope by boxing it. And unless you're really wobbly you shouldn't be moving 20mm off the target. Certainly you should see it and know you're doing it. If you can't see that then either something is loose or it is that gun. It won't be parallax, you eliminate that by determining the range.

Not power

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    No, the most likely is the gun. Unless you're going to shoot through a chrono when you are seeing the shots then you cannot say what the gun was shooting at. That doesn't mean a few shots at the club, it means simulating the period between shots and the conditions they're taken in. Could be a reg creeping, could be loads of things, all that don't happen when you put a few over the chrono in different conditions.

You can rule out the scope by boxing it. And unless you're really wobbly you shouldn't be moving 20mm off the target. Certainly you should see it and know you're doing it. If you can't see that then either something is loose or it is that gun. It won't be parallax, you eliminate that by determining the range.
    Both times it has happened recently it's been a 50+ target that I have miss by 23mm from centre.
    I'm guessing to miss by that much at 50+ yds my rifle would need to be doing about 850fps, that's not happening.
    Testing tonight so we will see what's going on.
    Simon

Both times it has happened recently it's been a 50+ target that I have miss by 23mm from centre.
    I'm guessing to miss by that much at 50+ yds my rifle would need to be doing about 850fps, that's not happening.
    Testing tonight so we will see what's going on.
    Simon
    No not really. You could gain close to that with just a 40fps increase. Depends where you started from. Years ago I saw a steyr clear over the top a 40yd rat in heat. 11 failed the chrono that shoot.

For a start though test on a known target, not what you think you know a target. Could be a simple thing as range finding being out. Or it could be a number of factors all piling up. Sometimes it's about proving that somethings are ok to leave the areas to investigate. Put the scope at 50 yds, put some graph paper down range, set gun on a bench, remove the cheekpiece, and move head. Actually measure in mm how far you can push it out.