Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a change of air rifle

Lightbulb Need a change of air rifle

Atm I have air arms S410 carbine 2009 model that i've had since 2010, its been a cracking gun with no troubles with it at all but just lately I'm finding it rather heavy and cumbersome.
    I'm no spring chicken anymore and have problems with my right elbow and upper arm and just finding it difficult atm.

I'm looking at either selling/swapping this for a lighter smaller air rifle.

What would you guys recommend ?

And what do you think my air rifle is worth?

Its the beech stock version, anti tamper, 2 mags, logun silencer, Harris swivel bipod 13-25 inch, paracord sling, Hawke vantage scope.

No wonder its heavy looking at the above.

Regards,

Worzel
    Air Arms S410 Carbine .177 / Hawk 6.5 - 20x50 AO IR Night eye - Benelli Raphealo Crio 12G semi-auto - Zabala sxs 12G

Quote Originally Posted by Worzel-Gummidge View Post
    Atm I have air arms S410 carbine 2009 model that i've had since 2010, its been a cracking gun with no troubles with it at all but just lately I'm finding it rather heavy and cumbersome.
    I'm no spring chicken anymore and have problems with my right elbow and upper arm and just finding it difficult atm.

I'm looking at either selling/swapping this for a lighter smaller air rifle.

What would you guys recommend ?

And what do you think my air rifle is worth?

Its the beech stock version, anti tamper, 2 mags, logun silencer, Harris swivel bipod 13-25 inch, paracord sling, Hawke vantage scope.

No wonder its heavy looking at the above.

Regards,

Worzel

AA S410 Superlite ?????? S200, BSA Ultra, Brocock Contour .... am thinking about selling one of those if you had any interest.

Alternatively lose the bipod which'd weigh quite a bit and find a lighter scope????

I have the s410k, but if you want a lighter rifle. Stick to airarms. Try a s200.

I've had a go of the S200 before and thought it was also a heavy gun.

BSA ultra maybe a bit too small, being 6 ft 2" and having long arms.

How much lighter is the superlight compared to mine?
    Air Arms S410 Carbine .177 / Hawk 6.5 - 20x50 AO IR Night eye - Benelli Raphealo Crio 12G semi-auto - Zabala sxs 12G

If I were you I would stick to the gun you have and make it lighter.

you can buy stocks on their own so I would get a walnut or a superlight, ditch the bipod and get some triggersticks, ditch the silencer and get an air arms Q-tec and invest in some top quality lightweight glass to go on top.

other than that, the daystate regal is very light and a good fit for most, or spent some real wonga and get an FX impact, new glass and mounts etc etc.

I have the bipod you have in swivel form and its quite a lump to carry about which made me buy the primos trigger sticks tripod. I never take the bipod anywhere but the range now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg View Post
    If I were you I would stick to the gun you have and make it lighter.

you can buy stocks on their own so I would get a walnut or a superlight, ditch the bipod and get some triggersticks, ditch the silencer and get an air arms Q-tec and invest in some top quality lightweight glass to go on top.

other than that, the daystate regal is very light and a good fit for most, or spent some real wonga and get an FX impact, new glass and mounts etc etc.

I have the bipod you have in swivel form and its quite a lump to carry about which made me buy the primos trigger sticks tripod. I never take the bipod anywhere but the range now.
    Wise words Rickyg,

Ok, I will look for a lighter stock and ditch the bipod for some sticks.
    What sort of scopes are about that are light but also good for at least 50 yards.

How much lighter is the superlight compared to mine?
    Maybe google the 2 and compare them ?????? Or shall someone else do that for you????

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    Maybe google the 2 and compare them ?????? Or shall someone else do that for you????
    Alright, alright, tired are we.

Just thought someone had already done a comparison between the two.

Wise words Rickyg,

Ok, I will look for a lighter stock and ditch the bipod for some sticks.
    What sort of scopes are about that are light but also good for at least 50 yards.
    ooh this is a difficult one as everyones eyes like different scopes. Also, depends how deep the wallet is. I did have Hawke sidewinders on my two main airguns which were fantastic scopes, But a couple of weeks ago I tested a Hawke Frontier 30 SF 5-30x50 and loved it, its a fair bit lighter and the quality of the glass was outstanding..so I bought x2 of them. Not cheap though at £500 each. Any scope is good for 50 yards really, I tend to leave my scopes at x10 mag when hunting and only mess with it if shooting paper.

If you change to a good set of sticks like the trigger stick tripod you will see that weight will become less of an issue as you wont be carrying it in the shoulders so much. the rifles are either on your back or on the sticks.

I am looking for something light weight so watching this with interest.
    Have a gas ram. But want to upgrade to pcp.

I've recently gone from sidewinder to MTC Viper connect.

Much prefer it after getting out with it a few times in the field.

I didn't weigh them I'm afraid to compare weight. But it's much smaller and easier to get in the bag and use.

Looking at swopping my s200 for a s400 super light this morning. Had a look yesterday but was on the bike and didn't have the s200 with me so am going back today in the truck.
    The s200 is a crackingly accurate little gun and i don't know of anything much lighter but it is basic in its feel and the trigger was bitty and rough when i first got it. The front face
    of the sear was covered in tiny machine marks which could be felt as the trigger was pulled. Five minutes with an oil stone sorted it though. 5p size groups at 25yds aint bad from
    what is essentially a cheep gun. My problem is I'm finding 177 pellets a bit fiddly so looking at .22 and just liked the look and feel of the s400 which is near as sod it the same
    weight, power and size but is slightly more refined and has a pressure gauge.
    Would i recommend the s200 as a light weight hunter. Yes, but if multi shot is required id pay the extra for the s410 carbine rather than putting a 10 shot mod on the s200.
    Tim

Update, just chopped the 200 in for the 400 superlight. Tis a thing of beauty and very light. :-)
    Last edited by tim56; 29-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    Ooo you grumpy bugger

The beech carbine is 3.1kg.

The walnut and poplar carbines are both 2.8kg.

I got this info from airriflereviews.co.uk

Atb

All of the above.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    I understand where you are coming from with heavy rifles.

I use a Theoben TTR. Ive added a laminate stock and have a 10x42 Falcon Menace scope on top.

When i was fiddling around and trying to get the best setup i could for what i use it for, i noticed how dramatic the effect of a heavy scope is on the overall weight and balance of the rifle.

Maybe you could look at a lighter or less mag scope dependent on what your needs are?

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A already mentioned, reducing the weight of your existing gun is easy. Dumping the bipod and swapping stocks save 1 lb+, if you have one of those big daft scopes with many twisty, fiddly bits, then get rid and buy a decent 2-7 or 3-9 x 32/33, theres another lb gone.
    Alternatively, find an FX Typhoon or T12, all aluminium construction brings them in at under 5lb with over 100 shots available and fantastic accuracy.
    God rest ye jelly mental men