Thread: Rapid mk1 .22 or airwolf. 22

Rapid mk1 .22 or airwolf. 22

Which of the above would people buy

Really depends on what you want, both have advantages, not better not worse just different

If you're handy with guns go for the rapid. If not go for the rapid as Daystate service bills will shock you.
    Rapid is a solid work horse if it's set up properly you will love it.
    They're both great guns but as Bucketboy said both different

I've got an Airwolf, among others. Really can't fault it. With the electronic trigger rifles, you don't pull the trigger, you think the shot. I mean it's done as the brain thinks 'now', if you know what I mean. If not, try an Airwolf and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    If you're handy with guns go for the rapid. If not go for the rapid as Daystate service bills will shock you.
    Rapid is a solid work horse if it's set up properly you will love it.
    They're both great guns but as Bucketboy said both different
    My non reg Mk1 is in it's 20th year, every now and again I replace a bottle o-ring... that's as 'handy with guns' as I've had to be That said, there's really nothing to them anyway, spares and custom parts galore if you're that way inclined.

Rapid or Airwolf, preference may come down to something like cocking bolt placement... I could never get on with them at the back of the action.
    Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 26-07-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Rapid Mk1 .22 since 1997, no need for anything else.

a daystate air ranger

HI, I would go for a daystate air ranger lots of shots very accurit, and looks stunning and you don't have to take the bottle off like a rapid to fill it and it also has a pressure gage on, i have a 22cal now and you canot fault it and it's really quiet with a HW silencer, The wolfe is a top gun but if the electric goes its expensive, hope this helps ATB bob.

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    HI, I would go for a daystate air ranger lots of shots very accurit, and looks stunning and you don't have to take the bottle off like a rapid to fill it and it also has a pressure gage on, i have a 22cal now and you canot fault it and it's really quiet with a HW silencer, The wolfe is a top gun but if the electric goes its expensive, hope this helps ATB bob.
    As above, The safer option would a ranger even tho I loved my air wolf, Also got a mk1 and mk2 rapid but the mk1 has always felt better to handle.

A similar thread a few months ago was very positive for the Rapid and due to that I bought one (which was one of the last Mk2s that were made) .

It is one of my most regretted purchases. Initial leak required it to go to be serviced and within a week or so, another - different - leak meant I had to take it back. Hopefully it will now remain serviceable for some time. (I'm not going to become an airgunsmith myself and deal with high pressure air when I've no experience or training in this, even it being as simple as people say it is.)

Also, and I don't know if this is a problem with PCP magazines in general - so it may not be a Rapid specific issue, but the 17 shot magazine, costing £50 - 60 is a PITA to load and partially reload.

Not one of my favourite rifles although it does shoot OK now that it's sorted.
    Last edited by BigDuncs; 27-07-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post

Also, and I don't know if this is a problem with PCP magazines in general - so it may not be a Rapid specific issue, but the 17 shot magazine, costing £50 - 60 is a PITA to load and partially reload.

You must be doing something wrong, the mag should just slide in with very light pressure. Loading is easy (and I have hands like a bunch of bananas) hold mag in left hand with clear cover facing up, rotate cover in direction of arrow with your thumb, cover the exit hole with index finger and load first pocket then turning the cover with the thumb load remaining pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    You must be doing something wrong, the mag should just slide in with very light pressure. Loading is easy (and I have hands like a bunch of bananas) hold mag in left hand with clear cover facing up, rotate cover in direction of arrow with your thumb, cover the exit hole with index finger and load first pocket then turning the cover with the thumb load remaining pockets.
    Got that OK, although I still think that rotating the cover in that way is fiddly and the pressure fit into the mag well isn't great but it was partially reloading that was also a pain but TBH, it's been over a month since I've had it out and all I remember was it being fiddly. This rifle is unlikely to be a 'keeper'. But I've no idea how the mags work in the Daystate and other rifles so I prob shouldn't have even mentioned the Rapid mag - it was just that I was disappointed in how it worked when I got it.

Got that OK, although I still think that rotating the cover in that way is fiddly and the pressure fit into the mag well isn't great but it was partially reloading that was also a pain but TBH, it's been over a month since I've had it out and all I remember was it being fiddly. This rifle is unlikely to be a 'keeper'. But I've no idea how the mags work in the Daystate and other rifles so I prob shouldn't have even mentioned the Rapid mag - it was just that I was disappointed in how it worked when I got it.
    I suspect you are doing something wrong as the Rapid magazine system is excellent. The only one better is the HW & FX system where the magazine is as simple as simple can be with no moving parts at all as all the moving bits are on the rifle itself.

To answer the OP's question the Rapid wins for me because the Air Wolf is only good when it performs to spec. Sadly it doesn't always perform as it should which for a gun at that price point is unacceptable.
    The Rapid v Air RANGER argument has been covered on here many times. Personally although I think the AR is a very fine air rifle I just don't like the bolt on the back of the action. Against that the ambi stock is a joy to use and is certainly vastly superior to the standard Rapid sporter. As for QF and pressure gauge, after market bits are available to fit these to a Rapid which will still end up costing you less than an AR. Remember also that most Rapids from 2001 onwards have perfectly good robust-mechanical-regulators fitted as standard.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

To be fair, if your rapid was one of the last to be made then it is entirely possible that it was cobbled together from spares for the scrap bin hence the leaks and poor fitting mag, I can assure you though that the issues you have had are an easy fix.

Back to OP both are fine guns but I would go for the rapid (but that's me) it is such an easy platform to work with, stocks, barrels, calibre, mods, shrouds, regs, fast flow, free flow, Q/Fs, gauges, bottles, tubes, springs, valves can all be changed in minutes not only altering the way it looks but feels and performs.