Thread: BSA Airsporter

BSA Airsporter

Got my self a working Airsporter with mounts and a decent scope for 130 pounds from local gun shop.
    Looked up serial number GI its a 1969-1971 model according to guide
    Shooting 6.7 FTLB with H and N field but 8.7 FTLB with a lighter pellet
    Looks ok fires . I am going to make it a bit of a project , the guns in fair condition, bluing/Blacking is pretty good , no open sights on rear, stock finish ok but a bit scuffed here and there
    I am going to do following

Fit a welsh Willy tune kit
    Clean up piston and cylinder
    Strip stock use a stain and then Lineseed oil finish the stock
    and set power to around 9-10 FTLB
    Remove butt pad , keep it but fit a adjustable but pad so the scope lines up properly as it will be a plinker/ hunter once done

Any other suggestions ?

Just wondered if any one knew best way to remove butt pad mine seems to be stuck on with no screws etc showing , my other option is to fit a comb raiser

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninapuppy View Post
    Got my self a working Airsporter with mounts and a decent scope for 130 pounds from local gun shop.
    Looked up serial number GI its a 1969-1971 model according to guide
    Shooting 6.7 FTLB with H and N field but 8.7 FTLB with a lighter pellet
    Looks ok fires . I am going to make it a bit of a project , the guns in fair condition, bluing/Blacking is pretty good , no open sights on rear, stock finish ok but a bit scuffed here and there
    I am going to do following

Fit a welsh Willy tune kit
    Clean up piston and cylinder
    Strip stock use a stain and then Lineseed oil finish the stock
    and set power to around 9-10 FTLB
    Remove butt pad , keep it but fit a adjustable but pad so the scope lines up properly as it will be a plinker/ hunter once done

Any other suggestions ?

Just wondered if any one knew best way to remove butt pad mine seems to be stuck on with no screws etc showing , my other option is to fit a comb raiser
    Stuck on and has 2 metal 'dowels' I think the later 'recoil' pad.
    10.5 ft/lbs should be okay - they left the factory at that. (or thereabouts)
    Good luck with your mk4!

ASM
    Brexit voter and proud British citizen and patriot (once more)
    The E.U. is built on pure Poopenshtinken!
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Am I right in thinking that if this is an early number could be a rarer MK3? I think my GI 681 is a Mk3.

It might even have the earlier Mk2 piston. Does it have a square front end?

Personally I wouldn't stain the stock or change the butt pad it will drop the value by half. The stock should have a coloured varnish finish.

It is your gun so enjoy it whatever you do. The earlier Mk3 and 4's were a little better built than the later stuff.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 28-07-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    BASC

You could try working on cleaning up the faces of the sears in the trigger too (rough machined edges etc) - but don't polish them or you risk making the trigger action too light - the trigger action on all airsporters can be made better. (if you are happy with it as it is - leave alone!)

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Am I right in thinking that if this is an early number could be a rarer MK3? I think my GI 681 is a Mk3.

The Mk 4 was made in huge numbers, I have one I bought when I was a nipper - it's definately not a Mk3 (mine - not the op's) - they were only produced in small numbers and are fairly rare but as far as I know, not particularly sought after - any more than a 4 say.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mk..._MYBtaaOF1M%3A

ASM

Thank you for all the replies,

Ive bought following to assist with tidy up

Sash clamp to convert to spring compressor

Decent set of punches for taking out roll pin on underlever

Welsh Will service kit which comes with added top hat , spring guide , grease , power washers , seals and a precut decent spring.

Birchwood casey stock refinishing kit, comes with every thing including sandpaper of different grades, produces a shiney varnish type finish once wax is added over stain

Ive stripped stock with stripper removed butt pad , started sanding stock with a fairly rough grade ready for further work, once punches and sash clamp arrive Ill let you know how I get on , again thanks for interest

Quote Originally Posted by Ninapuppy View Post
    Thank you for all the replies,

Ive bought following to assist with tidy up

Sash clamp to convert to spring compressor

Decent set of punches for taking out roll pin on underlever

Welsh Will service kit which comes with added top hat , spring guide , grease , power washers , seals and a precut decent spring.

Birchwood casey stock refinishing kit, comes with every thing including sandpaper of different grades, produces a shiney varnish type finish once wax is added over stain

Ive stripped stock with stripper removed butt pad , started sanding stock with a fairly rough grade ready for further work, once punches and sash clamp arrive Ill let you know how I get on , again thanks for interest
    Good man - keep us posted!
    If a jobs worth doing - it's worth doing on an Airsporter!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post

Personally I wouldn't stain the stock or change the butt pad it will drop the value by half. The stock should have a coloured varnish finish.

It is your gun so enjoy it whatever you do. The earlier Mk3 and 4's were a little better built than the later stuff.
    -------------------------
    Looked at and took your advice

Stock will be done using Birchwood casey stock finishing kit. The stock finish is completed with a clear wax which gives a varnish effect and can be topped up.
    Ive bought a cheek piece raiser which can be taken off and put on as required
    Cheers for the advice

Hi

THANK YOU
    Bit more help If possible I had to strip trigger on gun as the adjuster was bent/stuck and I had to get the sears and trigger out to straighten/lossen and put some oil on it so it moved again. When taking out the trigger i didnt see how trigger spring sits against trigger? I cant post up images on here ??
    Any help most appreciated any diagram of how spring sits much appreciated