Thread: BSF Bavaria 55

BSF Bavaria 55

A new rifle cam in the door a couple weeks ago, one I have been searching for some years now... Wit a little rust and some moist damage to the stock, the gun has seen little use by the previous and original owner who bought it sometime in the sixties.

Did a small cleanup of the internals, deburred and relubed it, and oiled up the piston and breech seals with neatsfoot.

The rifle is giving 760fps with 7,9grs JSB's, does that sound normal?

All depends what spring you have in it. The Export springs can take a '55 over the (U.K.) legal limit. Not bad for a rifle similar in size to a Meteor (but better built).
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    All depends what spring you have in it. The Export springs can take a '55 over the (U.K.) legal limit.
    I'm quite sure this has the export spring in it, as it was purchased by the original owner here in Norway, and we never have had any power restrictions. A quite heavy spring with good preload.

I'm also a bit puzzled by differing numbers from different people, some people claim to have seen over 850fps with 7,9grs, some people get results corresponding with mine, and others rave about their guns doing 780fps after changing seals and springs.

Guess it might be related to how aggressive lubricants/fuels people are using....

Plus main washer fit, etc. Oh the joys of airguns were no two examples of the same rifle (HW35 )are exactly the same. I once purchased a s/h 55 in .177 that, when I got it over the chrono, was over the U.K. limit. This was soon sorted as they are an easy rifle to strip with the help of a good spring compressor.

ATB
    Ian

Best thing to do with these is to get the power around 11ft/lb or so as they feel that much better than at the FAC power that they do normally.
    My first new one was 14ft/lb in the early eighties.It a was a Bavaria 55 Deluxe carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Best thing to do with these is to get the power around 11ft/lb or so as they feel that much better than at the FAC power that they do normally.
    My first new one was 14ft/lb in the early eighties.It a was a Bavaria 55 Deluxe carbine.
    Even then they are difficult to shoot requiring more of a gentle hold than a grip to get the best accuracy out of them.

What kind of seal has been used when getting high power out of these? I'm thinking to put a synthetic piston washer/seal in the gun, to reduce dieseling/fueling.

The swept volume just seems a bit too low for those high figures, at least without diesel.... I understand that the gun has quite high compression, so I'm thinking it ignites whatever you lube the leather washer with.

Trigger?

Picked up one myself a couple of days ago. Pre-78/79, with no windage adjustment on the rear sight.

Nothing like as hard to cock as I'd heard. In very nice cosmetic condition. Nice and punchy when it fires, and seems to want to shoot straight. Good build quality, as far as I can judge.

But - the trigger! Long first stage, then an audible click. Then, about 15-20 lbs to get it to fire.

I have tried twiddling the trigger adjustment screw outwards, which I believe adjusts sear engagement, but to no avail.

I'm assuming there is about 40 years of dried-up lubricant gunk in the trigger mechanism, so the bloody thing has to come apart (where's my spring compressor? yes, it's 150 miles away). Maybe just blast in some brake cleaner and follow up with compressed air?

Anyone else found this?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    But - the trigger! Long first stage, then an audible click. Then, about 15-20 lbs to get it to fire.

I have tried twiddling the trigger adjustment screw outwards, which I believe adjusts sear engagement, but to no avail.

I'm assuming there is about 40 years of dried-up lubricant gunk in the trigger mechanism, so the bloody thing has to come apart (where's my spring compressor? yes, it's 150 miles away). Maybe just blast in some brake cleaner and follow up with compressed air?

Anyone else found this?
    I'm thinking oil is better than brake cleaner. It will dissolve dried up grease, without leaving the parts dry.
    I filled the trigger mechanism on mine with CLP, and screwed the adjustment screw inwards until the trigger became decent.

'... 15 - 20 lbs..' Some thins is wrong with that. Perhaps someone has changed the trigger spring. You could replace this quite easily just taking the back end cap off without need for a spring compressor. The trigger, while far from Rekord standards IMO is on a par with a good set up BSA when working correctly.

You may find these photos useful. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=3

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 01-08-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Does anyone know dimesions for the different springs?

I'll post mine the Next time I open the gun.

BSF Springs

According to the comics of the day the "Export" was 9 1/2" long &.128" Ga wire, with the standard (UK spec) spring being 11 1/2" & .116" Ga wire?. I have the article knocking about somewhere from @1980?? ish, I think it was Fred Grimwood's as opposed to the Boxall article which gave different lenths I seem to remeber??. Dont suppose any of you gent's have measured the transfer port dia & lenth & if there is a variation between calibres?.

Quote Originally Posted by HOMER View Post
    According to the comics of the day the "Export" was 9 1/2" long &.128" Ga wire, with the standard (UK spec) spring being 11 1/2" & .116" Ga wire?. I have the article knocking about somewhere from @1980?? ish, I think it was Fred Grimwood's as opposed to the Boxall article which gave different lenths I seem to remeber??. Dont suppose any of you gent's have measured the transfer port dia & lenth & if there is a variation between calibres?.
    Thanks.. The port seems quite small for a leather Sealed gun. I had mine apart some time ago, and the spring is definately closer to .128" than .116".