Thread: Webley Senior that dosen't cock

Webley Senior that dosen't cock

Hello there, all you experts! Over the years, I have collected a series of Webley Senior pistols, and have a representative selection which, though they are not museum quality, are quite good . However, I like my pistols to be in working order, and one of the Seniors doesn’t cock. Its serial number is S9639. I have stripped it, and can detect no problems with the sear or the piston, which makes me think there must be a problem with the link mechanism. I have been told in the past that these items can become stretched so that even when the barrel is fully opened, the sear cannot connect with the groove of the piston.

My question is this; can anyone confirm the likelihood, or probability, of this kind of stretching? And, more to the point, can anyone tell me how it can be fixed? I am not able to do it myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

Quote Originally Posted by pnird View Post
    Hello there, all you experts! Over the years, I have collected a series of Webley Senior pistols, and have a representative selection which, though they are not museum quality, are quite good . However, I like my pistols to be in working order, and one of the Seniors doesn’t cock. Its serial number is S9639. I have stripped it, and can detect no problems with the sear or the piston, which makes me think there must be a problem with the link mechanism. I have been told in the past that these items can become stretched so that even when the barrel is fully opened, the sear cannot connect with the groove of the piston.

My question is this; can anyone confirm the likelihood, or probability, of this kind of stretching? And, more to the point, can anyone tell me how it can be fixed? I am not able to do it myself. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John
    One thing you could try is to remove the barrel and spring and push the piston back using a piece of wood or a screwdriver.
    If the piston latches with the trigger mechanism then it would seem to point to either a linkage problem problem or the spring being coilbound i.e. the wrong type of spring.

Webley Senior that doesn't cock

I thought of that. I tried swapping the barrel for another from a slightly earlier pistol, and it would cock with that. So that seems to bring it back to the linkage

John

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I have had this same problem on a few Seniors over the years and most often it's stretch/wear in the linkage and can be overcome by putting a small curve in the long link,if you can imagine opening the jaws of a vice a little and placing the removed long link over the jaws so the middle is unsupported and tap the middle down fractionally so you are ineffect shortening the link. No need to go crazy it often requires the smallest amount and I try alittle at a time so I don't over do it. Hope that makes sense,Atb Phil

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by pnird View Post

John
    I had a very rough Senior with this problem. It proved to be the small link ( part S26 here http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...-Part-No.-S26/) . On mine, which was VERY RUSTY, despite using plus gas and then heat, the pin did not want to come out. I ended up cutting the link (I assumed it was buggered, so no loss) and then knocking each remaining bit of the pin out. I had to cut through the first bit of the pin I moved as it was hitting the other bit of the pin before it all cleared it's hole. If you get some plus gas or Wd40 etc on the pin and leave it for a week it should make it easier. Then get a punch for the job and if you can, someone to give you a hand. Remove the barrel and linkage and place it on a firm bit of wood, with a small hole drilled in it for the pin to go into as you knock it out. I would order a new pin as well.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Another quick fix trick is to blob a bit of weld on front of shoe, frofileing it to fit/slide in slot.
    Make sure there is clearance from piston to shoe when fired.
    snarepeg.