Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old BBS air gun threads and photobucket

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Old BBS air gun threads and photobucket

I love trawling through the old air gun threads on the BBS as there is so much interesting information. The threads that host pictures really add extra insight and as they say a picture can sometimes speak a thousand words. All to often though when you click on a link to view a photograph its been deleted or is otherwise no longer available.

My question is do these photo hosting websites automatically delete the photographs you add after a certain number of years and if so is there a site that does not that would be better for members to use.

Many thanks if you can answer this one for me.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Last edited by barrel; 29-07-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I hate photobucket.
    Sometimes you can click on the links no problem, others you click then it opens up reams of spam links telling you that you've won an iPhone, that your phone is infected and must be scanned immediately, and that there are 24 mature Russian ladies on line ready to "chat".

I clicked on a link to a sales thread the other week and next thing my phone was trying to open 12 separate spam links. (I counted) Grrr...

AND I don't think the ladies were even Russian.

Or ladies...

Could be that the owner has moved the picture in to a different album, changed the privacy setting or even deleted the pic or album altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Could be that the owner has moved the picture in to a different album, changed the privacy setting or even deleted the pic or album altogether.
    Likely when folk grow their photo collection and start to tidy them into folders/albums.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 29-07-2016 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Taz72 View Post
    I hate photobucket.
    Sometimes you can click on the links no problem, others you click then it opens up reams of spam links telling you that you've won an iPhone, that your phone is infected and must be scanned immediately, and that there are 24 mature Russian ladies on line ready to "chat".

I clicked on a link to a sales thread the other week and next thing my phone was trying to open 12 separate spam links. (I counted) Grrr...

AND I don't think the ladies were even Russian.

Or ladies...
    THIS!!

..another one that annoys me is youtube, when you have to sit through a 30 second advert about a car you will never buy...PISS OFF hyundai, I wanna watch kitties!

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I love trawling through the old air gun threads on the BBS as there is so much interesting information. The threads that host pictures really add extra insight and as they say a picture can sometimes speak a thousand words. All to often though when you click on a link to view a photograph its been deleted or is otherwise no longer available.

My question is do these photo hosting websites automatically delete the photographs you add after a certain number of years and if so is there a site that does not that would be better for members to use.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    I have been thinking for sometime of making a suggestion to our ADMIN whether it is possible to have a special section called the " knowlegde base " for exactly what you have mentioned.
    All the good and proper air rifle info could be entered in that section for perusal and use of the members. I think that it would be an invaluble tool and a worthy addition to the forum. Let me know what you think please?

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I have been thinking for sometime of making a suggestion to our ADMIN whether it is possible to have a special section called the " knowlegde base " for exactly what you have mentioned.

Let me know what you think please?

A.G

This has been suggested before, and personally I'd rather not alter anything, A.G

All the best Mick

You could try Picture Trail it’s free and no spam or you can link directly.
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

A.G
    I really do hope they wouldn't call it "knowlegde base"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyg View Post
    THIS!!

..another one that annoys me is youtube, when you have to sit through a 30 second advert about a car you will never buy...PISS OFF hyundai, I wanna watch kitties!
    If you are on a PC, just run an ad block plug-in. If on a mobile device there are options if it's that much of an issue.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post

Kindest regards

Barrel
    The answer is, it depends....

Over time sites come and go. So who you hosted with once, may no longer work.

Other options, as said already. The owner may simply move the photo to a different folder/album, which will generally break any links. Or they could have deleted it, or made it private only.

Some hosting sites may well prevent access after a period of time, if it was a paid for service and the owner no longer subscribes.

And bandwidth. Many hosting accounts will limit bandwidth, unless you pay a premium. So photo's may still be there, but you just can't view them.
    BSA Meteor Mk5 .177 | Webley Tracker .22 | Umarex Beretta 92FS .177 | Crosman 2260 .22 | Crosman 1077 .177 | Colt SAA | SMK CP1 .25 | Hatsan Model 125 Sniper .25 | Benjamin Trail NP .22 | Crosman 2250 XL .22 | BSA Super Meteor Mk 3 .22 | BSA Superstar Mk2 .22 |

Quote Originally Posted by Taz72 View Post
    I hate photobucket.

I'm curious, the link goes to my Photobucket. Can you click on it and let me know if you get any of the spam links ect please:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...TX200SR002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I'm curious, the link goes to my Photobucket. Can you click on it and let me know if you get any of the spam links ect please:

Yes comes up with Sponsors adds after a short while of looking at it.
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post

My post was a little tongue in cheek, (though I genuinely don't like photobucket and I really have had it trying to open all sorts of rubbish up)

For me that link works fine, albeit with ads on the bottom.
    With photobucket it seems to be the site rather than the individual link: I've sometimes had one work as normal, yet clicked on the same link at a later point only to get a load of spam trying to auto open in new windows.

I usually use adblock to filter most of the garbage out but hadn't fired it up on this particular phone.
    I will be installing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger21 View Post
    Yes comes up with Sponsors adds after a short while of looking at it.
    I never realised there were so many good looking Milfs living within just three miles of my home.