Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading calibration weights for scales

Reloading calibration weights for scales

Just giving you a heads up that they sell pharmaceutical 'apothecary' weights measured in grains on that popular auction site.

I had a set for £10 as opposed to nearly £50 for a dedicated, purpose-specific item.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I too thought that would be a good way to go. Unfortunately I have found that they do not agree with each other. Either age or indifferent original calibration makes them useless. Your luck may be better.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I use a balance scale so there's nothing to calibrate

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Still useful though just to check what you think you've set it to is right. Once the check weights have been verified that is.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

I highly doubt balance scales remain 100% accurate forever. I think it's a sensible option to check that the measurements are correct. But if you don't need them; great.

Quote Originally Posted by Army-medic View Post
    I highly doubt balance scales remain 100% accurate forever. I think it's a sensible option to check that the measurements are correct. But if you don't need them; great.
    Yes, they should, because there is no mechanism to go wrong, springs to stretch, etc.
    A machined weight a certain distance along a bar requires a specific predetermined weight to balance it, about as basic as it gets.

Biennial station "weights & measures testing" was another task I have suffered the "joy" of carrying out while in the RAF.

I'm really not clear what you mean by a balance scale. Any chance of a link to an image of what you are talking about?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Army-medic View Post
    Yes, they should, because there is no mechanism to go wrong, springs to stretch, etc.
    A machined weight a certain distance along a bar requires a specific predetermined weight to balance it, about as basic as it gets.

Biennial station "weights & measures testing" was another task I have suffered the "joy" of carrying out while in the RAF.
    While I agree that there will be little change over time (I can think of some but they are small by comparison to the level of accuracy needed for reloading), they were never 100% accurate in the first place!. Calibration can be done in two ways:

1) Adjust the instrument to agree with known standard values. (and very time consuming that can be when calibrating over the entire range of an instrument)

2) Where the instrument has no adjustment, record the error when measuring known values, plot a graph of multiple points, and thus have a range of correction values for that instrument.

Reloading scales will have errors in the actual weights of the sliders, errors in the measurement of the slider position, errors in the bearings, all of which can be calibrated by method 2).

That said, no-one is particularly interested in the exact weight of powder for reloading (within reason) - repeatability is the key to making that magic load time and again and I don't much care if my scales indicate 2.9 grains when the actual weight is 2.84 grains, provided that they do so consistently.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I'm really not clear what you mean by a balance scale. Any chance of a link to an image of what you are talking about?
    RCBS 5-0-2 just google it.

A beam that balances once a weight is pre-set at one end & powder of the exact same weight added at the other end
    Last edited by angrybear; 01-08-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Ah! We're talking just a standard reloading scale then. - Always a good idea to have a set of grain check weights and use them regularly, especially if, your developing loads or working towards the top end of loads.

Even basic beam scales can sometimes give false readings - friction in the knife edge bearings, friction in the knife edge pivot points, agate bearing misaligned, friction in the panhanger stirrup bearing, loose damper blade etc. etc.

Plus the old favourite of the bar weight not quite seated properly in the slider notch.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Ah! We're talking just a standard reloading scale then. - Always a good idea to have a set of grain check weights and use them regularly, especially if, your developing loads or working towards the top end of loads.

Even basic beam scales can sometimes give false readings - friction in the knife edge bearings, friction in the knife edge pivot points, agate bearing misaligned, friction in the panhanger stirrup bearing, loose damper blade etc. etc.
    I keep a 190 gr .308 SMK in the case with my 505s that I know they measure at 189.9 gr I use this to check every time I reload once the scale is zeroed to make sure nothing's amiss.
    Thanks for looking

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Cant for the life of me understand why my RCBS scales have a small compartment under where the pan sits to put shot into....

A balance is a balance. If for some reason it no longer balances, it needs calibration.

I occasionally cross check my beam and electronic balance with a 50gr weight I have and the odd bullet just to see if the coincide, just in case the electronic ones go tits up...thankfully they do.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Cant for the life of me understand why my RCBS scales have a small compartment under where the pan sits to put shot into....
    Surely a Joke

It's so that it can be set to balance at zero when initially set up from new,
    it saves them having to worry about making the pan to an exact weight & also means any brand of pan can be used & rebalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    I keep a 190 gr .308 SMK in the case with my 505s that I know they measure at 189.9 gr I use this to check every time I reload once the scale is zeroed to make sure nothing's amiss.
    I have a 40 grainer that's cock on, and kept in a padded box

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"