I have just gone back to pcps after a 10 year break.

In the past I have had a Daystate Mk3 Thumbhole, EX2, Air Arms Protarget Mk3, three S400s, and a BSA Hornet and a couple of Feinwerkbau 700 Alu 10m jobbies .

Keeping all my old 6fpe German springers but getting rid of all but one of my 12ft lb ones, it was a no brainer which pcp to get.

Another S400 Classic in 177.

They are still as good as ever. Uncomplicated, reliable, well balanced and nice looking. No magazines to worry about or go wrong and no regulator to create problems. Even with a power curve I can get 70-80 good shots from a fill of 180bar. I could probably get a few more but always refill when the dial gets close to 100 bar.

I agree about the skinny barrel, but I only shoot at a range and can put up with it.

Compared to the range hire guns - very nice Daystate Regals - I find the s400 a better fit, and prefer the wider loading area, trigger and the extra weight.

As a bonus, mine, purchased from BAR, came with the most beautiful walnut stock I have ever had on an AA. All the walnut stocks on my previous AA pcps and springers were bland by comparison. Just luck of the draw really. Lloyd opened the box, and I immediately knew I had to have it.