Thread: AirArms s400

AirArms s400

After 10 months of using the little s200 it was time to upgrade a little. I originally bought the s200 for the grandson to use on the range but as he lost interest i started
    to use it myself and was quite pleased with it. However when i went to get some pellets on the bike yesterday i spotted a new s400 carbine super-lite in .22 sat there
    on the rack and liked the look and feel of it straight away. So today i returned in the truck and a deal was done.
    I fitted the hawke scope from the 200 on it and took it down the range to set it up..Half a dozen shots and its ready to use. Firstly the trigger is far far better than the 200
    and although i had polished the sear face on the 200 the 400 is much better straight out the box. Accuracy is on par with any other pcp's iv used and just resting my elbow
    on the bench with no rice bag or anything i could keep them in a 1/2" group at 25 yds using AirArms diablo pellets. I fired about 40 shots and the gauge is still showing
    about 160bar so would expect 60 or 70 good shots which isn't too bad for a carbine. The stock is made of popular i believe which has a nice feel to it and gives a fair old
    weight saving. Bluing is deep and the whole thing has a look of quality about it. Well pleased so far. Will try some different pellets next time out and see what it likes. Tim

I agree, the S400 is a fantastic rifle. I've had one a few years and just love it.

Ive owned a few over the years, very reliable and accurate guns. The only let down is the stupid skinny barrel, I'm seriously thinking of selling my current one, once I source a more sturdy BSA Ultra. Every time I take my 400 hunting, I have to be so careful as to not knock the barrel and bugger up my zero.

I have started saving!!

S410TDR I have been very easy to use and very accurate AA world famous haha

The only small power

I have a 12 year old S410 Classic and it is a great rifle. Shoots straight and is accurate up to just about 60 yards. I Get just about 80 good shots before the power starts to drop then at 90 the power really drops off.

Would recommend this rifle to anyone, especially new starters or recent returners to the hobby.

Ross

I am considering my first PCP rifle so the info in this thread is very useful, thanks everyone.

Now iv been using it for a few weeks its settling nicely. At 20/25 yards its as accurate as my Huntsman and a joy to shoot.
    Would recommend one to anyone. Tim

S400

I have owned an s400 classic .177 for five years now, its as new still, and shoots superbly. Mine is standard, but i have polished the hammer rail inside and bolt to get rid of slight machining marks, it cocks and fires so smooth. I would suggest you find the sweet spot on your rifle, it really is worth doing although a little boring to do. I fill mine to 155 bar which gives me 44 shots down to 125 bar which are more consistent than any of my regulated rifles. ENJOY.

Aa s410

I purchased one 6 months ago. Can't fault it, i would agree with having to be careful not to knock the barrel as the dammed thing moves if the bolts are not tight enough. More a fault with me being clumsy than the rifle design.

I have just gone back to pcps after a 10 year break.

In the past I have had a Daystate Mk3 Thumbhole, EX2, Air Arms Protarget Mk3, three S400s, and a BSA Hornet and a couple of Feinwerkbau 700 Alu 10m jobbies .

Keeping all my old 6fpe German springers but getting rid of all but one of my 12ft lb ones, it was a no brainer which pcp to get.

Another S400 Classic in 177.

They are still as good as ever. Uncomplicated, reliable, well balanced and nice looking. No magazines to worry about or go wrong and no regulator to create problems. Even with a power curve I can get 70-80 good shots from a fill of 180bar. I could probably get a few more but always refill when the dial gets close to 100 bar.

I agree about the skinny barrel, but I only shoot at a range and can put up with it.

Compared to the range hire guns - very nice Daystate Regals - I find the s400 a better fit, and prefer the wider loading area, trigger and the extra weight.

As a bonus, mine, purchased from BAR, came with the most beautiful walnut stock I have ever had on an AA. All the walnut stocks on my previous AA pcps and springers were bland by comparison. Just luck of the draw really. Lloyd opened the box, and I immediately knew I had to have it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I have a few rifles yet my favourite is my S400 MPR FT, it did have a silly short lop which I have extended now by at least 40mm using a couple of pieces of similar wood, sanded and stained to match the original. The trigger is nothing short of superb, and the black straw tube has been replaced with a much fatter one on the MPR, still only 14mm though (actually my FTP900 has the same 14mm barrel). Clean crisp cocking but I might yet have an A&M cocking lever mod as there is no way I can see me parting with this gun.
    I do fumble with loading pellets though, they always seem to go backwards, then its another fumble to rotate them, if only the tray was lower and we could just push them into the barrel.
    Out of the FTP900, S510 Ultimate Sporter, & S400 MPR FT, my favourite? S400 MPR FT!

Steve

I agree.

I wish they still made the MPR.

All they needed to do was improve the stock a little, rather than bring in the HFT 500.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

i have just bought an old s400 classic and it is faultless.i was always sceptical about air strippers but gave the rowan one a go and after a lot of adjusting it has tightened up the groups to an almost unbelievable level.
    mine works best filled to 160 and shot down to 110,i get about 50 shots out of it.i can hit 15mm spinners at 50 yards with ease.