Thread: Lubrication for Baikal MP 46M (IZH 46M)

Lubrication for Baikal MP 46M (IZH 46M)

Can anyone recommend a suitable lubrication for the compression/piston seal, based on long term experience with the pistol?

The manual just says lubricate the compression seal cup via the slot in the compression chamber....the type of lubrication is not detailed

I did a web search and surprisingly folk advised against using pellgunoil with the suggestion that it can gum up the internals. They recommend 'Special Sauce'

I did a search on bbs (IZH 46, MP 46 lubrication) but it came back with so many hits which did not seem to be directly relevant.

Given that replacement seals are very difficult to get hold of, using a compatible lubricant could be very important.

Thank you in advance.

I am the strange guy that used Vita-POS eye lubricant on my IZH 46M. Seemed to work well, just a slight smear lubricates the seal well and has benefit of not damaging the cornea ! Also has vitamin A ! I don't like using all the usually quoted standard oils as they end up making a gooey mess throughout the mechanism and in the valve unit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I am the strange guy that used Vita-POS eye lubricant on my IZH 46M. Seemed to work well, just a slight smear lubricates the seal well and has benefit of not damaging the cornea ! Also has vitamin A ! I don't like using all the usually quoted standard oils as they end up making a gooey mess throughout the mechanism and in the valve unit.

Baz
    Thanks, I did not see that one coming! But if is safe on the eye it's more than likely safe on a cup seal.

Aimstraight,

I use 30wt motorcycle fork oil (Fuchs) in my MP-46M, with complete satisfaction.

Fork oil is o-ring/seal friendly, and is packed with extreme pressure & anti-wear additives.

I was recommended to use heavy fork oil by Mr. Tim McMurray (the maker of the 'Special Sauce').

I use two (2) drops down the transfer port, and two (2) drops onto the piston seal every five hundred (500) pellets.

I use a mix of the fork oil + moly powder for the pivots & cocking linkages.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks for the reply Russ.

I have some 5W/30 motorcycle fork oil so might try that. They call that medium grade, but someone offered me some heavy grade so might use that (will be interesting to see the difference in the Technical Spec).

Someone else had previously recommended medium fork oil to me for other SSPs, so it's good to know you have had success so far on the Izzy with the heavy grade.

I would have used oil on the linkages but using a moly mix sounds good (flows into places easier and maybe stays in place longer).