Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anschutz 335 in 177

anschutz 335 in 177

hi guys has any one tried tuning one of these and what didbyou do ?
    cheersn ian

335 Tuning Experiance

Hi Ian,

apart from the usual de-burr and re-lube, I replaced the leather piston seal. I did try a PTFE piston seal that some people have had success with, but it didn't work for me. I ended up with a Diana parachute seal and adaptor from Protek as my Mk3 0.177 335 suffered from the relatively common problem of a widening in the cylinder near where the name stamp appears.

Still on the original spring, and feels a little harsh at about 10.5 ftlbs. I did try a Delrin spring guide but I think it wasn't tight enough to have a significant effect, and sleeved the transfer port down by 0.5mm, but didn't think this made a great deal of difference either. I intend to try again when time allows.

Hope this helps,
    Best regards,
    Bill.

Smile Interesting

Is that widening specific to that region Bill, or does it progress from there ??
    Time for a trial feel with a telescopic gauge, or bore gauge ??
    Last edited by slow_runner; 02-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.

335 Cylinder Widening

It's a localised bulge: cylinder is tighter either side of it. Should be measureable with outside calipers and a micrometer.

Best Regards,
    Bill.

Thumbs up

Thanks Bill, I will measure up tomorrow and report back

thanks guys
    put a stronger spring in and made very tight plastic spring guide and sleeved the piston with plastic...

I havn't tried a different seal yet....
    there is a noticable increase in power and is smooth as well, i hope to use a chrony soon and then ill play with the seals to see what differences there are and i' ll report back cheers ian

My mate has a 335 sporter in .22 for sale at £190, and a 335 Target in .177 also £190 if anybody is interested please PM me.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by billsnibby View Post
    It's a localised bulge: cylinder is tighter either side of it. Should be measureable with outside calipers and a micrometer. Best Regards, Bill.
    Hello Bill. You are on the money, thanks for the information.
    I measured with a bore gauge yesterday; 0.005" deformation in that region. It seems eliptical, as if the Anschutz logo has been stamped rather than rolled.
    Not your usual German expertise

hi
    well disapointed
    gun now very smooth but only putting out 7.5 ftlbs still better than before but not enough...although still using the original seal......
    really need to know the size of the original full power spring ( mines the target version)
    so i can try to source a replacement strong enough to get it over 10 without adding compression rings..
    cheers ian

335 Revisited: Muddling Experiments

Hi,
    latest dabbling (for what it's worth...)

I tried a cut-down (to 245mm from 280mm) Titan No.1 instead of the original spring, velocity reduced a little (from 720 to 700ish), and a little harsher feel on firing.
    Sleeved transfer port down from 4.0mm to 3.5 mm and made and velocity much the same, felt a little less harsh on firing.
    Sleeved transfer port further down to 3.0 mm which reduced velocity (to 660ish) but a docile feel on firing. Put back to 3.5mm
    Put back original spring and made a new, better fitting Delrin spring guide and a PTFE piston sleeve: much better firing cycle, velocity increased to 740ish.

Spring Specs: o/d I/d wire l coils
    Original 335: 21.5 14.6 3.46 220 29.5
    Titan No.1: 21.0 14.5 3.25 280 31
    (piston rod 9.95mm dia.)

So currently the original spring seems best!

Best Regards,
    Bill.

thanks bill for the spring specs..sorry you missed out on the airmasters ...11ftlbs ....that would be nice
    .its possiable thst i may have taken off( airsporter spring from protek or the v130 is polished version) a coil or two too many so ive put in a 1.5 cm spacer .
    i dont have a chrono to check but waiting for a vortek seal kit to see what that does ,,ive got the parachute seal and also the o ring adapter this will solve ' the bulge problem and is tunable with different o rings .
    my next plan is to try a hw 35 titan spring if this dosent work.
    cheers ian

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    How long is the TP, and what is the bore and stroke ?

3.2-3.5 sized ports are normally the sweetest range IMHO. If taking it from 4.0 to 3.5 held the same velocity, that should feel a fair bit nicer to shoot in terms of the second fwd stroke of the piston landing... I reckon 3.3 might be perfect on your gun, even if it does cost you 10 fps (who cares if it shoots nice) ?

Also, does it show a particualr preference for (somewhat) lighter or somewhat heavier pellets ? e.g. 7.9 grain JSB vs 8.4 ?

I reckon 3.3 might be perfect on your gun, if if it does cost you 10 fps (who cares if it shoots nice) ?

it does look like you may have taken a fraction too much off the titan, as the std spring is a bit stiffer dimensionally...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

335 pellet preference

Hi both,

a quick chrono test on the 335:

Pellet Wt. Av. Vely. M.E.
    Hobby 7.0 747 8.7
    Exacts 8.4 723 9.75
    BisMag 10.8 590 8.35

All three types seemed to seat in the breech with the same amount of pressure. the breech seal seems OK from a 'talcum powder' test (no plume).

I'm not sure what to make of these results though!

Best Regards,
    Bill.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Well, if it's shooting nicely, I'd say just under 10 FP for a .177 is decent - leave alone

(bismags are really too heavy for springers, so no point testing with them)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

hi both
    sorry didn't put spring dimensions 255 . 20.6 . 14.18 . 3.38 .33 coils when cocked the middle 6coils touch so i think maybe another cm on the preload....makes 2.5 ?
    titan no4 252. 22.62 . 15.64 . 3.65 . 28 coils seems closest to the original but thicker coils should be stronger...
    bill
    hobbys are exactly 4.50 what size where the jsb as i believe the range is from 4.49 to 4 .53 so 5 different sizes
    all my rifles like rws superdome fieldline in 4.52 some not so happy with 4.51..just a thought
    jon
    interesting info on the tp ,what materials do you use to alter the tp bore ?and i guess you insert from the front?

i will post photos when the stock is finshed.
    cheers ian