Thread: Crosman 160 Wanted

Crosman 160 Wanted

I'm after the 2nd variant, which was fitted with both a ramp rearsight and the Model 360 aperture sight if anyone knows where there may be one for sale.

Many thanks all,

John

Did you buy the one at Protek, which seemed to appear on the website this week with a 'sold' sticker on it almost immediately? Not sure what variant it was.

Edit: it was a 150! They have just put some new stuff on tonight - another 600, an Abas Major and a Hy-Score.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    Did you buy the one at Protek, which seemed to appear on the website this week with a 'sold' sticker on it almost immediately? Not sure what variant it was.

Edit: it was a 150! They have just put some new stuff on tonight - another 600, an Abas Major and a Hy-Score.
    No not me, the 160 is a rifle rather than a pistol. It was the companion to the 150 pistol and was the first Crosman rifle to use their 12g CO2 Powerlets.

I have the 1st and 3rd variants - the 2nd would 'complete' the set!

Kind regards,

John

Ah okay, well I wish you good luck with your search then John.

Finding one with the 360 peep is difficult since it was an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Finding one with the 360 peep is difficult since it was an accessory.
    Hi Dean,

I thought the 360 was an accessory for the 1st type 160 but fitted as standard on the 2nd?

Both Crosman and Stoeger claimed (the Crosman 160) was "equipped with two rear sights. A slide adjustment peep sight and an open field sight. Both are adjustable for windage and elevation". Certainly late 1950s Crosman adverts tend to illustrate the 160 with the 360 fitted.

Thanks Trick Cyclist - sometimes the hunt is as satisfying as tracking down an elusive quarry!

Kind regards,

John

Hi John
    It's not for sale but my 160 has a Crosman S331 peep sight fitted.
    Superb rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Hi John
    It's not for sale but my 160 has a Crosman S331 peep sight fitted.
    Superb rifle.
    Yes I have one too and agree it is indeed quite special. I recently added a boxed 1st type 167 to my humble collection and now just 'need' the 2nd type to complete the set.

Kind regards,

John

Don't think I've seen the one you are after for sale.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Don't think I've seen the one you are after for sale.
    Good luck.
    Tim Dyson had one a while ago and I think Lincoln City did too, so they are about. I just need to find one

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Dean,

I thought the 360 was an accessory for the 1st type 160 but fitted as standard on the 2nd?

Both Crosman and Stoeger claimed (the Crosman 160) was "equipped with two rear sights. A slide adjustment peep sight and an open field sight. Both are adjustable for windage and elevation". Certainly late 1950s Crosman adverts tend to illustrate the 160 with the 360 fitted. . . .

John
    I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the 2nd variant was introduced with the single rear sight and later had both sights, so, this is, perhaps, one of those yes-and-no situations. As it turns out, my collecting experience has been that the a 2nd version with both is relatively rare compared to those with the single sight version; this clearly affected my memory (what is left of it.) A quick look at the catalogs, indicates that both were standard on the 2nd var. but going by the catalogs can be a hit and miss affair with Crosman. If the factory ran out of supply of the rear peep, they wouldn't hesitate for an instant to ship without it.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the 2nd variant was introduced with the single rear sight and later had both sights, so, this is, perhaps, one of those yes-and-no situations. As it turns out, my collecting experience has been that the a 2nd version with both is relatively rare compared to those with the single sight version; this clearly affected my memory (what is left of it.) A quick look at the catalogs, indicates that both were standard on the 2nd var. but going by the catalogs can be a hit and miss affair with Crosman. If the factory ran out of supply of the rear peep, they wouldn't hesitate for an instant to ship without it.
    That makes sense to me Dean. As with BSA and Webleys this side of the pond, many transitional variants exist, which left respective factories with early and late features.

Kind regards,

John