Thread: Walther Century

Walther Century

I went to my local RFD with the intention of buying a HW99s.
    I came out with a Walther Century in .22.
    The rifle is heavy for a break barrel but when it's up on aim it feels very good and the quality of these rifles is far and away more than the price would suggest.
    It comes bundled with a quite decent 6x42AO scope with a German post reticule.
    Once I got it home I cleaned the barrel and sent about 50 Falcon Accuracy Plus through it. It dieselled for two shots then settled down. On the advice of another member, I then took the spring out. It's a very easy thing to do and just requires two pins to be knocked out while you hold the very mild pre-load.
    The spring was poorly finished at one end, not chopped but pretty rough. I sorted that out and also cleaned and re-lubed the spring.
    I have a 40yd range in my garden and, from a rest, and even with a 6x scope, I'm hitting a 1inch spinner 10 out of 10.
    I've had a HW97K, HW97KT, HW95K and a BSA Lightning. This rifle is the most accurate springer I've ever shot.
    Cocking is smooth with no graunches. Shooting is slick with a kick but it's all backwards, no flip whatsoever.
    I've just ordered a Panorama for this rifle because it deserves a better scope. I've never shot a spring air rifle that is less hold sensitive and I'd be happy to hunt with this rifle out to 40yds.
    The barrel latch is something that deserves a mention because it gives you a feeling of complete security.
    I grew up with spring rifles in the seventies, eighties and early nineties but, because I hunt predominantly, when multishot pcp rifles became available to normal people I jumped on the bandwagon.
    This springer has changed the way I think and if I was just after one or two bunnies for the pot I wouldn't hesitate to take this rifle hunting.
    It's heavy for a break barrel but very well balanced. I like it very much.

Chris

Interesting review but a pity that it is necessary to work on the spring and potentially void the warranty. I understand fully why you did it but it really shouldn't be necessary.
    I own a LGV in .177 and it is possibly my favourite spring rifle. Mine has the synthetic ambi sporter stock and I'm debating whether or not it is worth the outlay to have a decent stock made.
    Good shooting with yours.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Thanks Nick. The spring problem seems to be common on Walther and HW rifles but, at least with the Walther, it's very easy to sort although I agree we shouldn't have to.
    Overall I think the quality of the Walthers is higher than the HWs but I can only speak about the ones I have experienced. There's absolutely none of the twang that used to drive me mad with the HW's and everything seems very solidly engineered. A nice CS stock (if they do them) would be the icing on the cake I reckon.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    Thanks Nick. The spring problem seems to be common on Walther and HW rifles but, at least with the Walther, it's very easy to sort although I agree we shouldn't have to.
    Overall I think the quality of the Walthers is higher than the HWs but I can only speak about the ones I have experienced. There's absolutely none of the twang that used to drive me mad with the HW's and everything seems very solidly engineered. A nice CS stock (if they do them) would be the icing on the cake I reckon.

Chris
    Sadly they don't. I contacted them and they replied very quickly that they didn't make stocks for the LGV or LGU.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

know its not the century, however i have had my share of hw springers and my beloved tx200hc..
    Then i shot an LGU... my god what a rifle, my tx was bog standard and it knocked spots off it.. walther have hit the nail so far on the head with these springers its unreal.

Century

i still think the trigger could be better, but the build quality and the solid breech lockup deserve a mention. despite the poorish trigger (3lbs and creepy) the rife is very accurate.
    Last edited by coburn; 02-09-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Century

Walther do deserve some credit for bringing a new break barrel to the party. Very well made for the price it's a shame FWB couldn't have done the same with their new sport. Have used a Century and it's a very solid rifle for the money. Mach 1.5