Thread: 204 Ruger and IMR4064 not enough case capacity

204 Ruger and IMR4064 not enough case capacity

Tried to reload some 39 GRN SBK today with IMR4064. My manual and the IMR Website say to use between 25.2 to 27.2 grains and a COL of 2.250 However even with the bottom load there is too much powder in the case to seat the bullet to the correct COL, got to 2.300 then the cases started to crush. Tried Hornady and Norma brass both had the same issue. I calibrated my scales and Vernier also as a check and they were fine. Has anyone had similar issues?
    Last edited by Spanner.; 06-08-2016 at 04:37 PM.

How is the case crushing when you're bullet seating? That sounds like a die adjustment problem (die screwed way too far down) rather than a too much powder problem.

Pushing the bullet down and swelling the case into a rim at the base of the neck. I set it up as per the guidelines and have adjusted in small increments, I have been reloading various calibres for quite a few years and never had an issue like this. I can see when I put a bullet next to a case to the depth it should be it is encroaching onto the powder layer. I have tried new and used cases (neck sized). Trying to seat a bullet into an empty case to prove it is the powder results in the bullet dropping into the empty case.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    Pushing the bullet down and swelling the case into a rim at the base of the neck. I set it up as per the guidelines and have adjusted in small increments, I have been reloading various calibres for quite a few years and never had an issue like this. I can see when I put a bullet next to a case to the depth it should be it is encroaching onto the powder layer. I have tried new and used cases (neck sized). Trying to seat a bullet into an empty case to prove it is the powder results in the bullet dropping into the empty case.
    I still think you're damaging the case by forcing a lip inside the die body down onto the case mouth. I can't see how you'd bulge a case by compressing the powder.

Tried again today with empty cases and after quite a bit of trial and error and scrap cases you are correct, a slight backing off of the Die stopped the case crushing. Never known a Die so hard to set up (Hornady). It was that bad even perfect looking cases wouldn't chamber from being slightly deformed. Haven't tried to seat a bullet on a full case yet.

cant get my head around a bullet dropping into the body of a case after being sized,,surely neck tension would keep it from dropping

Quote Originally Posted by Salty242 View Post
    cant get my head around a bullet dropping into the body of a case after being sized,,surely neck tension would keep it from dropping
    Could be the bulging of the case is deforming the neck enough to destroy the neck tension.

Glad you got the case problem sorted OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty242 View Post
    Once it is properly seated through the Die there is tension there, just when I was trying to set the Die up they would drop through (sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Could be the bulging of the case is deforming the neck enough to destroy the neck tension.

Glad you got the case problem sorted OP.
    Thanks.