Thread: How can I make my Steyr LP2 Compact HEAVIER?

How can I make my Steyr LP2 Compact HEAVIER?

Is there an after market solution? I am finding it too light and lose points due to the muzzle reaction to launching the pellet which I think would be dampened by some added mass. I already have the gimmicky 8 port diffuser.

Ideas welcome.

Ta chaps.

Steyr make barrel weights to fit, Morini weights also fit but require the compensator to be removed for fitting,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Fitting some of the Morini barrel weight sleeves would be the easiest solution and they can be slid along the barrel to give the balance you like.

You may be able to fit more than one of them if you need a lot of weight.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Another solution

Sell it and buy an LP10 or EVO.
    LP2 is designed to be light.

I know it's a bit daft asking how to make a purposely light, compact pistol heavier!

I must admit, I didn't even handle one before I bought it

Perhaps an LP10 would have been a better option.

Arse biscuits as they say....

Thanks chaps.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Have you run it over a chrono?
    It may be worth reducing the muzzle velocity to around 500 - 525 fps(150 - 160 m/s) that's around 4.2 ftlbs; it could reduce or eliminate the flip you're experiencing without affecting accuracy.
    Just a thought......
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

LP2 Compact

I have a couple of Morini barrel weights going spare if you decide on that option, let me know if you are interested.

Regards
    Dave
    Evo 10 Compact.

Couple of weights won't stop the bounce.
    Most of it goes with a perfectly executed shot.
    Plus a very well fitting grip.

The LP10 has a device that elimates recoil.

Still not too late to sell an LP2 before the market gets flooded with the pony clubs, as they change to
    'Ray Guns'

My LP2 was set up by Harry P with an MV of 525 which he described as the optimum for my barrel. I must say, the test card he shot certainly validated this.

I really CBA going through the selling / part exing palaver to get an LP10. I'll have to learn to deal with it.

Dave - silvershooter - do you have a picture of the Morini weight assembly I could look at? How would it fit to an LP2?

Thanks all.

The Moroni weights slide onto the barrel, the compensator needs removing to fit but the advantage of these is that they can be slid along the barrel for balance without tools, they use internal o rings to hold position which actually work very well and are also slimmer than the Steyr weights so look less obtrusive,

The steyr weights clip over the barrel and are tightened by means of an Allen bolt in a clamp like fashion so the screw does not actually contact the barrel, they work well but look a little cumbersome and somewhat of an afterthought, they also require an Allen key to adjust,

I've used both and preferred the Morrini ones, not as quick to initially fit but once done can be adjusted far easier, no risk of marking the barrel and although less important do look a lot nicer fitted,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I had the same problem with my Walther LP400 carbon. It has a recoil reducer as well but it was just too light to hold steady even with all the barrel weights I got with it. I made an aluminium sleeve that slides over the air cylinder and adds just enough weight without affecting the barrel. It is lined with insulating tape so it doesn't scratch the cylinder ad has enough friction to hold it in place. I turned mine from an aluminium rod but you could make one from thick walled aluminium tubing and use a hacksaw to cut a slice of to make it into a "C" shape.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

ave - silvershooter - do you have a picture of the Morini weight assembly I could look at? How would it fit to an LP2?
    Here is a link to the Morini site, they weigh 15 gm each and as Nige said slide along barrel , the outer diameter of the Morini and LP2 barrels is the same.

http://www.morini.ch/product_det.php?id=1

Click on barrel weight set under "Accessories"
    Evo 10 Compact.

the Morini weights are likely to be better than the Steyr ones,which are a pain to fit and the grub screw can strip its thread...
    keep your LP2 our club one is a joy to shoot and loading it with the tray instead of fiddling into the chamber is so much better
    the trigger is just the same quality to me as is on my LP10,it just has a shroud and 3 holes in the barrel for a lot of extra bucks
    as for the Evo.......
    Last edited by craig9mm; 11-08-2016 at 10:34 PM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Weights are to alter the ballance not control recoil, they may (or not!) help you to be steadier and hence not react to taking the trigger, because that is what you are doing, the lp2 is near enough recoiless, find a good coach as your issue is technique and almost certainly not gun related and what part of it is would be more related to the fit of the grips, and trigger position.

Have Fun and Good shooting
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?