Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RWS brass - loose after neck sizing. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    I'm using them in .223, .308 and 8mm and think that they're OK so far. As for the pressure on the press, I just give it a good handful but, as you say, it's difficult to judge. I was under the impression that the higher the pressure the better and had not given any thought to trying to keep it at the 20lb mark.

The live primers popped out without any issues....... my first time, so I was a little wary!
    Pretty sure they say 'a minimum of 20 lb' so if you do more its not an issue, tried doing come .308 neck sizing with a hand press, that didn't work as the arm just bent before I could apply enough pressure.

the lee decapping die is dead handy for poping out live primers as thats all its doing, not any sizing etc plus works for all cal's (within reason I guess), I've a load of PPU 38 Special ammo to pull as it won't extract so going to pull it, gently pop out the primers and see if I can re-use the whole lot in CBC brass.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    Wrong, doughnuts form between the junction of the neck and the shoulder and are a result of brass flow when reforming or necking down cases to a smaller calibre

TB.
    Well, whatever the reason I'm pleased to say that after adjusting the die my "doughnuts" have gone; quicker than a raid on Krispy Kreme by Billy Bunter.

As for the Lee die, yes - "at least" 25lbs of push on the lever for sizing. I'm easily exceeding that.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Lee collet dies do need a little setting up, especially with a 'cam over' press, but once done they produce necks with the lowest run out (for me at least).
    It sounds as if the necks on this latest brass were simply a little thinner than that used when the die was originally set.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Lee collet dies do need a little setting up, especially with a 'cam over' press, but once done they produce necks with the lowest run out (for me at least).
    It sounds as if the necks on this latest brass were simply a little thinner than that used when the die was originally set.
    When I use to neck size I would strip the die and polish / smooth the fingers then dry lube them eith a carbon pencil.
    Each time I neck size I would check the tension by inserting bullet in neck and adjust accordingly.
    I don't bother now I just full length