Thread: Help choosing a scope

Help choosing a scope

l am looking to buy a new scope for my .308 rifle, and thought that l would enquire of the wealth of experience and opinion available on here. l am looking for a scope that l can use on the range, out too 600 yards and sometimes over, and for deer stalking and vermin shooting.
    l am leaning towards a Leupold scope, either a VXll 6-18X40 or VXlll 4.5-14X50 or 6.5-20X50.
    Does anyone have experience of these scopes or suggestions for other scopes of a similiar cost worth considering before l hand over my hard earned spendables

Dalua Guest
    Funny question for this part of the BBS, but what about a one of the exquisite Hawke Airmax range?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W
    l am looking to buy a new scope for my .308 rifle, and thought that l would enquire of the wealth of experience and opinion available on here. l am looking for a scope that l can use on the range, out too 600 yards and sometimes over, and for deer stalking and vermin shooting.
    l am leaning towards a Leupold scope, either a VXll 6-18X40 or VXlll 4.5-14X50 or 6.5-20X50.
    Does anyone have experience of these scopes or suggestions for other scopes of a similiar cost worth considering before l hand over my hard earned spendables
    save yourself any hassle....have a leupold for the last 12 years...get one and you will never regret it mate

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965
    save yourself any hassle....have a leupold for the last 12 years...get one and you will never regret it mate
    Good scope, but don't overlook bushnell elite 3200 and 4200 scopes. very robust and laugh in the face of .308 rounds

Rotosan1980 Guest
    I have a laupold VXII 6-18x40 AO (fine duplex) on my CZ lux cal 22 lr. I'm very satisfied of that even if I ever shoot to 50 meters. Anyway I look inside so many time, also trying to aim far target, in any weather and lightness conditions and it ever gets focus very well and you can see the target very clean.

As far as I know the VXIII serie has better glasses and for hunting can be raccomanded.
    When I buy my police (in some years )i'll buy a VXII 6,5-20x50 or a nightforce.

However I usually prefer low magnifications: I use 6-8x to shoot up 50 meters, sometimes 12x but I see the target like a moment when there is a earthquake

I think that the best mode to choose a scope is to try some of those you like by some your nice friends...

Ciao Gian...

Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

I have had Hawke scopes and I have had Kahles scopes and I have had Nightforce Extreme scopes and the best all-round scope I have ever bought is the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 with a Boone & Crockett big game reticule.

I use this scope on top of a Remington .243 as this is my fox and deer rifle. The 10x is probably more than you will ever need for fox and around about 6x is good for deer (generall less) - the extra range is always good to have in reserve.

The light transmission is second to none and the look and feel of the Leupold is fantastic.

Like I said, I have tried a few scopes and have settled here.

Good hunting!
    Regards
    Paul