Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 Question.

HW45 Question.

I'm thinking of getting a HW45 pistol.
    I shoot mainly spring rifles.

I've met two guys that bought new ones & the guns were dieseling quite a lot.
    A few tins of pellets & no change. Damage being done.

Why should you need to strip & clean up a brand new pistol just to get it to work as it was meant to in the first place?
    Is there no quality control?
    Why not?

This is putting me off getting one.
    Are these two just freak exceptions?

How were your guns when you bought them new, within, say, the past 2 years?

Thanks.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Had a few over the years and yes there is slight smoking which lasts a long time when you purchase them new. This said I have never felt the need to strip a new gun down and certainly have never heard of a case when damage has been done to the pistol.

Some people strip everything down they purchase new that's just the way they are. Bear in mind though that if you buy new and you strip down it will give any manufacturer wriggle room to not honour any warranty.

My advice would be go for it they are a great pistol, consider a nice second hand one as there are some great deals about at the moment.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a HW45 pistol.
    I shoot mainly spring rifles.

I've met two guys that bought new ones & the guns were dieseling quite a lot.
    A few tins of pellets & no change. Damage being done.

Why should you need to strip & clean up a brand new pistol just to get it to work as it was meant to in the first place?
    Is there no quality control?
    Why not?

This is putting me off getting one.
    Are these two just freak exceptions?

How were your guns when you bought them new, within, say, the past 2 years?

Thanks.
    Dieselling is part of the fun of shooting an HW45. It won't damage the gun in my experience as long as there's no muzzle flash.

I had a second hand one which deiseled hard - I stripped it and relubed it and it really tamed the gun down - it was an absolute cracker after that.
    in regard to WHY should you have to relube a new gun - because manufacturers dont put as much care and attention and quality into the final product as they should.
    I bought a brand new weihrauch hw97k blue laminate earlier this year from germany. It came with the german power spring inside... all Im saying is that ifI was a german lad and had bought one of these I would have immediately sent it back!!! it was graunchy, twangy and was utterly horrible to shoot. I mean really really bad. I completely stripped it and degreased everything, installed a standard spring and made up delrin guides... once i had set the length of the spring it was a tack driver with very little recoil and just a nice thud.
    IMO if you want a gun to shoot really really nice you are going to have to accept the fact that you will be bringing it up to that standard yourself.
    to finish my reply - you will not be disappointed with a nice .177 hw45 - really nice guns and quite accurate. they look a lot bigger in pictures than they are in the hand. some folks say they are big and heavy, but I think the webley pistols have a lot more 'perceived' heft to them.. being a bit more compact and weighty...
    would I have another 45 - oh yes.. I only sold mine because I got such a good deal on it and needed cash to scratch a real bad itch!!

here was mine
    Donald

New guns...

Bought a brand new HW35k 2-3 years back & it was not as I'd expected. Owned a nearly new HW77 'back in the day' & it was great. The new 35 twanged, shook a scope to pieces, & the much vaunted Rekord trigger fell apart. Sent it back to the supplier & it was then returned to HC for a rebuild. Came back better, with a test card, but no word of apology or explanation as to why it had been such a pile of poo in the first place.
    Funnily enough, later I bought an early '90's s/hand HW35 from here. And it's a lovely piece of kit, they feel like they came from different continents. Not the same manufacturer.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I had a second hand one which deiseled hard - I stripped it and relubed it and it really tamed the gun down - it was an absolute cracker after that.
    in regard to WHY should you have to relube a new gun - because manufacturers dont put as much care and attention and quality into the final product as they should.

here was mine
    I've bought (new) some of the best spring rifles you can get & they let me down.
    Sent them back etc. Still let me down.
    They've all got upgraded internals now.

Rant over.

Anyway.
    Anymore info on new HW45's most welcome.

Thanks.

the dieseling could be down to the pellets, if they have been lubed then the excess lube in the skirt is enough to detonate with the pressure and heat of the blast of air from the transfer port.
    its been said that hw springer standards have dropped and they (and most other springers) benefit from been striped, degreased then relubed properly.
    the strip and rebuild of my 45
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php?topic=7256.0
    Last edited by airgunnut; 14-08-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Most HW45s are a bit like this.
    It is part ot the deal.
    If you don't like it try its weedy brother the 75.
    Which is also a good gun but weedy.

I looked into this after buying a new 45, firstly all I could hit was a field if I shot it, nothing smaller, the puff of smoke was pure 80's nostalgia.

This didn't settle down, even began being a bit para as to how I carried it in the Plano box.

Eventually after many readings of threads here there and every where I found the bit from a man at HW, that said these pistols need the piston seal sealed properly and it was required to dry fire it twice to size the piston head. This worked for me.
    Nice things happen to nice people.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Last HW45 I had was a .177 and it dieselled every time it was left for quite a few shots.
    I vkeaned and relubed it but didnt make a lot of difference TBH...the only way to stop it I think would be to run it a lot drier than I was prepared to.
    I don't think its particularly damaging in the 45's case - its more irritating that you can't just pick it up and shoot it reliably from the off without it needing shooting in each time
    It's a very common issue and part of the reason I decided they were no longer for me.

Seems that dieseling/stripping down is par for the course with the HW45.
    I suppose knowing that before you buy (poor quality control) takes a bit of the frustration with the situation away.
    Still a poor product out of the box though. That's what pisses me off.

As I'm a spring rifle guy I'll hold on a while as I'll end up spending far to much time tuning & them practicing shooting the gun to a standard that I'm happy with, and I'm rarely happy with that.

I'm sure I won't be able to resist getting one though.

Thanks for all of you replies.

HW45s are known for dieseling.

As Big Ears says, that is part of the fun.

All the ones I owned dieseled and it didn't seem to matter. Accuracy, when you finally learn how to shoot them, is really fantastic for a recoiling springer. Wish I hadn't sold them.

Just bought a new one, and have promised myself I will keep this one. Like the previous ones, it diesels.

And I couldn't care less.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    HW45s are known for dieseling.

As Big Ears says, that is part of the fun.

All the ones I owned dieseled and it didn't seem to matter. Accuracy, when you finally learn how to shoot them, is really fantastic for a recoiling springer. Wish I hadn't sold them.

Just bought a new one, and have promised myself I will keep this one. Like the previous ones, it diesels.

And I couldn't care less.
    I think it was in a book called trigger to target, an experiment was done and it found that springers need to diesel to produce most of the power
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Bought a brand new HW45 Black Star .177
    Have only had time to put approximately 70 shots through it so far.
    Dieseled a lot but already the dieseling is reducing (don't care-it's fun).

Can't hit much(consistency)with it yet but that's why I got it. I'm a springer man.
    Looking forward to hopefully improving.

Planing to leave it open sights in contrast to my rifles.
    It's a nice change/bit of fun, but I'll always be a rifle shooter first & formost.

I have had 2 and both have dieseled. I stripped my current one and used a dry moly paste sparingly and it shoots a lot better as a result. Still can't hit anything with it though .