Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun with a hurricane

Fun with a hurricane

Having got into pistols lately, after buying a pcp and x2 co2 was wanting a springer to try. Just bought a Webley hurricane off here as it was near mint and boxed. Had a go on Sunday and was very surprised how well it shot, ok not as accurate as my brocock but very satisfying when you hit a target. The open sights are excellent for my eyes and packs a punch for a light weight. Not bad for its age. Was thinking of an original next any thoughts?

Hurricane

Hi, I've had a Hurricane and more recently a Tempest, I liked them both but found I missed my target more often than not. Got various bb pistols, fun but not accurate. Bought a Gamo compact, Ok but kinda plastiky! Then got an Original mod 6, Wow! Very high quality pistol and so accurate it surprised me. Now bought a mint Original mod10 in original case. Can't recommend these older pistols enough. John.
    Theoben Fenman, Theoben Scirroco 2000, BSA Cadet Major, Webley Premier MK2, ASI Sniper!

I was thinking of a model 5 due to cost. The 10 looks a top pistol, what's the 6 like?

6M and 10M are proper match pistols.

6G (no recoil) and 5 (recoil) are spoiled by the fixed front sight hood IMHO. Makes them next to impossible for shooting at a match card.

Accuracy...

Five shots freestanding at six yards with my .22 Hurricane. How accurate do you want?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...psxmhhhmkk.jpg

I love mine. It's got quite a stiff trigger, but once you get used to it, it's a hell of a good pistol for the price.

I'd try a Gamo Compact next if you feel you want something more accurate.

Bonedome.

Having owned most models of Webley pistols starting with a pre war Junior I've found that my early Hurricane in .22 is the most accurate of the lot... Currently have a Senior, Premier, Tempest & a couple of later Hurricanes, Did have a recoilless 6M for a while, but found it a bit too 'clinical'. Wish I still had it tho'.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonedome View Post
    Five shots freestanding at six yards with my .22 Hurricane. How accurate do you want?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...psxmhhhmkk.jpg

I love mine. It's got quite a stiff trigger, but once you get used to it, it's a hell of a good pistol for the price.

I'd try a Gamo Compact next if you feel you want something more accurate.

Bonedome.
    Be better if the pellets actually made it all the way through the cardboard

They do...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Be better if the pellets actually made it all the way through the cardboard
    ...but I always put a lump of Blu-Tak behind the target to arrest the pellets in situ. Makes a neater hole, and makes the scoring easier.

Harvey S..? You haven't just been to Portsmouth on a job for me, have you?

Cheers,
    Bonedome.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    No mate, stuck in the wilds of north Norfolk

I love these old webley pistols I think shooting a spring pistol is so much more rewarding than a C02 or gas ram ones with a spring pistol they take a fare bit of practice to do it properly most of it is getting the grip rite once you get the hand of it they are really fun things to shoot I have a steel .22 premier and love it.

I expect the Mod 5 (recoil) is a more lively version of the Mod 6.

All the Model 6's are superb pistols but there are pros and cons with each:

Model 6 - Superb recoiless, blued steel, plastic grip (or wood or early models) places the pistol high in the hand. Sturdy hood over the front sight pokes into the hand during cocking. Heavy, sometimes nicknamed the 'short rifle'.
    Model 6G - As above but with a different shape coated frame, angled (plastic or wood) sporter grip appears to place the pistol lower in the hand (not tried first hand). Some threads on here suggest the trigger reach feels a bit odd. Match grips probably available.
    Model 6M - As the 6G but with rotating rectangular plastic sleeve over the barrel (to protect the hand during cocking), plus wood match grip. Plastic sleeve can crack and replacements seem to be difficult to obtain.
    Model 10M - Similar in appearance to the 6M but apparently a much more refined pistol, better grip/trigger/reach and sights....with a price to match! Similar potential issue with the plastic barrel sleeve (especially Mk 2 which has holes to screw on barrel weights which might weaken the sleeve).

All have the relatively complex Giss recoiless system (dual springs, pistons, linked by a synchronizing cog)....but very nice to shoot....provided they are in good condition with good seals and springs.

Cocking effort is firm (short break barrel), but benefits from an interlock to block the trigger until the breach is closed.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 28-08-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: 10M Mk2 sleeve/barrel weights added.

I bought a second hand .177 Diana P5 Magnum and although it does have a bit of a kick it does benefit from a quick action, superb trigger and has a fixed foresight with lovely bright fibre optic rear sight. Very nice engineered air pistol.

I re-seal and re-spring the model 6 and just love them, they have a superb trigger let off and are very accurate. You can get 400 to 450 fps with 7 grn pellets out of the short compression chamber. For £150 second hand the performance is up with expensive target pistols, I prefer shooting it to the FWB 65. The model 10 is also nice but has a complex trigger to re-assemble when repairing. I am not a Webley fan but I prefer the Tempest to the Hurricane. Another springer which is surprisingly accurate and has a good power output is the B.S.A. Scorpion.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I re-seal and re-spring the model 6 and just love them, they have a superb trigger let off and are very accurate. You can get 400 to 450 fps with 7 grn pellets out of the short compression chamber. For £150 second hand the performance is up with expensive target pistols, I prefer shooting it to the FWB 65. The model 10 is also nice but has a complex trigger to re-assemble when repairing. I am not a Webley fan but I prefer the Tempest to the Hurricane. Another springer which is surprisingly accurate and has a good power output is the B.S.A. Scorpion.

Baz
    Same here; to me the Mod 6 has a more pleasing loading and firing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

Baz
    And there was me thinking I was some kind of weirdo for preferring my 6M to my FWB80!

I prefer my Hurricane to my Tempest, but that's because my Hurricane is unusually accurate for a Wobbly.

A late convert to Scorpions, but they are as you say, surprisingly accurate.

The Diana 5 (I have both a grey 5 and a later 5G) is in my opinion one of the finest "sporting" air pistols. Well made, good value, decent trigger, easy to cock, and quite accurate.