Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fun with a hurricane

My best with a tempest at approx 5m was 1cm edge-edge group of 5 shots.
    So at close range they are véry accurate! They max out at about 10m though.
    Especially the tempest with its very limited sight adjustment.
    They're very picky to shoot though, very hold sensitive.
    But very fun to shoot.
    Also have an LP5 magnum and LP6M.
    LP6M shoots lovely ofcourse, but very boring.
    LP5 is very accurate as well at short range. And its far better than the later LP8 magnum.
    Had an LP10. Prefer these above FWB any day. Far better balance and easier cocking.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    My best with a tempest at approx 5m was 1cm edge-edge group of 5 shots.
    So at close range they are véry accurate! They max out at about 10m though.
    Especially the tempest with its very limited sight adjustment.
    They're very picky to shoot though, very hold sensitive.
    But very fun to shoot.
    Also have an LP5 magnum and LP6M.
    LP6M shoots lovely ofcourse, but very boring.
    LP5 is very accurate as well at short range. And its far better than the later LP8 magnum.
    Had an LP10. Prefer these above FWB any day. Far better balance and easier cocking.
    I get similar results with the Turkish Tempests occasionally (got two in .177). Love the guns and find the hold similar to the HW45, light and even grip. I only have 21ft indoor range and its all I can deal with. Unsteady nerves and failing sight are my limiting factors at 66yrs of age. Matt black on front sight and white painted targets help! ATB. Pete.
    Last edited by peteswright; 01-09-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I can't hit naff-all with my Tempest, I have put walnut grips on it and it looks the mutts nuts - maybe I will master it one day...

Probably spent too long shooting recoiless pistols!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

just had a look at the start of this post and I see that I have already replied to this thread.
    Last edited by beagle2; 07-09-2016 at 07:34 PM.

I've done a bit of 10 metre shooting, though in my few years before an injury took me out of it I only managed to score as high as 553/600 a few times in competition. My Pardini K12 might be boringly consistent, but I'm shakey enough that it's always a challenge. Never shot a Hurricane, but I do have a Tempest and Senior in .22" and a Junior in smoothbore .177". The Junior is strictly my pine cone and beer can plunked and I don't expect too much accuracy there. With the other two I can keep all my shots in the black of an ISSF 10m AP target but that's about all. On a good day the Tempest lets me narrow the group to about 1.5", but I don't often hold a springer that consistently.

I had a Diana Model 6M for a year or so but every time I shot it I'd become irritated and out it away again after no more then 20 shots. The extreme height of the barrel over the grip bothered me too much, and the plastic grip didn't fit me at all. Really heavy besides. It made my Baikal 46m seem like a feather by comparison, and the 46m was too heavy to be comfortable for competition. Perhaps pistol shooters were made of tougher stuff back when it was new? 1kg seems just right to me and that's what the Pardini weighs. I sold the 6M but will always keep an eye out for a Model 10. Though it too is no doubt heavy, having the much closer relation between sights and grip would probably be enough that I'd enjoy it as a precision plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    ...I had a Diana Model 6M.....the extreme height of the barrel over the grip bothered me too much.....Really heavy besides. It made my Baikal 46m seem like a feather by comparison.....Perhaps pistol shooters were made of tougher stuff back when it was new? ....I sold the 6M but will always keep an eye out for a Model 10. Though it too is no doubt heavy, having the much closer relation between sights and grip would probably be enough that I'd enjoy it as a precision plinker.
    I'd go along with that. Although the basic Mod 6 is a superb pistol the pistol does sit high above the hand. I assumed the 6M was a lot better in that regard but you found otherwise. The Mod 10 is highly desirable I like the weight and balance of 46M...good training for lighter pistols

I reduced the weight of my 46m to 1070 grams by tossing various unnecessary parts and carving away steel and aluminum from what remained. Feels a lot closer to a match pistol, but it took a lot of machine and hand tool work to get there, not very practical really. I've since passed it along to a brother and he loves it for plinking.