Thread: Webley Tempest Pistol pellet jam

Webley Tempest Pistol pellet jam

Hi. I need some help re the above.
    I have just purchased A Webley Tempest with a tin of .22 pellets,when I opened the tin with difficulty it was rusty inside and out.
    I proceeded to cock,load,fire pistol and there was no problem but then the next pellet wouldn't release, it doesn't do it with every pellet

I managed to push it out and try another pellet but not before examining,it seemed o k then after cocking fired and o k the next one jammed again.
    Could it be the condition of pellets, as I said they seem quite old or could it be seal on barrel, what does the panel.
    Hopefully it will be something minor as the pistol apart from, is in good condition

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I would check the breech seal, lay some tissue over the breech and fire. If it puffs out it needs replacing. Ditch those pellets and get some new ones, but it shouldn't jam so power is being lost somewhere.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Aye.. breech seal and also check the spring isnt broken. Its probably not the piston seal as these are ptfe washers and quite tough, unless it has been messed with. The springs on these go really bendy through prolonged use.. iirc the after market springs from knibbs are shoite and need more regular replacing as they lose power faster than the oem ones.
    Donald

Tempest Pellets Jamming

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Aye.. breech seal and also check the spring isnt broken. Its probably not the piston seal as these are ptfe washers and quite tough, unless it has been messed with. The springs on these go really bendy through prolonged use.. iirc the after market springs from knibbs are shoite and need more regular replacing as they lose power faster than the oem ones.
    Hi.
    Thanks for your replies pellets no problem,breech seal are they difficult to replace

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy66 View Post
    Hi.
    Thanks for your replies pellets no problem,breech seal are they difficult to replace
    Fairly straightforward, pull out the old one with a small flat sided screwdriver, push in the new one (usually need to persuade the sides in using the screwdriver).

Troubledshooter on here sometimes has a stock of breach seals, you could PM him to see if he has any (the real deal and a bit cheaper than retailers).

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy66 View Post
    Hi. I need some help re the above.
    I have just purchased A Webley Tempest with a tin of .22 pellets,when I opened the tin with difficulty it was rusty inside and out.
    I proceeded to cock,load,fire pistol and there was no problem but then the next pellet wouldn't release, it doesn't do it with every pellet

I managed to push it out and try another pellet but not before examining,it seemed o k then after cocking fired and o k the next one jammed again.
    Could it be the condition of pellets, as I said they seem quite old or could it be seal on barrel, what does the panel.
    Hopefully it will be something minor as the pistol apart from, is in good condition
    If pressure is down you should try seating pellet further into barrel then it might shoot. I had this problem and popping it a bit deeper (about a mil or two) works. if skirt is flush it just makes a fart noise and pellet stays put. I find if you turn the standard rubber breech seal round so flat side faces barrel you get a better seal. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

What kinda pellets?
    I had similar issues with a new hatsan with gamo 'special'pellets (those copper coated ones). Didnt come out.
    Problem is the barrel-pellet combo (rifling)
    ofcourse the tempest may also be at fault as said above
    ATB,
    yana

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    As other members have already stated - suspect either the breech seal or spring, or both.
    Old oxidised pellets are definitely only fit for the bin.
    A Tempest in .22 flavour with a serviceable breech seal and good spring should be pushing out about 3.25ft.lbs energy, enough to give a satisfying "whack" and sizeable dent in a baked bean can at 20yards. The air pressure needed for this shouldn't be allowing even an oxidised old pellet to be left in the barrel after firing.
    I get a great deal of pleasure beating up tin cans at the above range with my own .22 Tempest, Hurricane and Typhoon (with the smaller grip). In fact I find the Typhoon slightly more accurate to shoot due to a slightly lighter spring giving it a more forgiving firing action.
    Good luck with curing the problem, Clogger.

I would be tempted to strip it down and give it a good clean you do not need to remove the trigger just unscrew the pin at the front of the barrel with the barrel removed you can then unscrew the cap using the flat part on the barrel when you get it undone you can pull out the spring and plunger. Give it all a good clean and coat all of the moving parts with molly past not oil or grease then put it all back together and you will be amazed at how much better it will work.