Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw30s

Hw30s

Thinking of respringing my 30s .177. I know they are very restricted on the length of spring and are very easy to become coil bound. Any suggestions out there ?
    I think it has a Titan spring at the moment but not sure as it was just convenient at the last strip. It is doing about 5.8 ft lbs which I think could be improved. Just a little harsh on firing and reasonably accurate with Falcon Acc +.

It could just be the piston seal needs replacing ?

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I think it has a Titan spring at the moment but not sure as it was just convenient at the last strip. It is doing about 5.8 ft lbs which I think could be improved. Just a little harsh on firing and reasonably accurate with Falcon Acc +.
    Archie, my pal is a bit of an HW30s buff - he currently owns three of them, all .177 and all running at 7.5 ft/lb with their original factory components, mainspring included. None of them exhibit any 'harshness' whatsoever. I would suggest that the low power and harshness that you are experiencing is due to the fact that you are using a non-HW mainspring...

ditto 7.1f lbs unmolested in 177,no twang easy to cock,Titan springs I run a mile from

Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    ditto 7.1f lbs unmolested in 177,no twang easy to cock,Titan springs I run a mile from
    Just got a brand new HW30K in .177. Straight out of the box it's doing 6.72.

Titans can be pretty harsh. They are generally a stiffer spring than most. I have tried a BSA Meteor spring (a replacement supplied by Protek, £10.80 + P&P) on an HW30 in the past. It's made from thicker wire, so you will need to cut it down to about 24 coils, but I found it proved to be a snugger fit on the standard HW spring guide. End result was pretty good IIRC. I sold said gun to Vale Boy off here and I know Baldinio had some shooting time with it, so maybe they could confirm (or not) my memories of it. Failing that, standard HW springs are good.

standard hw spring in good guides t/h
    mine does 6.5 with rws super point, it likes those plus rws shp
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Mine shoots around 7ftlb with airarms express 7ftlb and rws r10 match ,it's all standard apart from the usual basic fettle and a piston liner to mask a little bit of twang.

Just fitted an original spring, loads more preload than the spring I removed, about 2.5 inches. Measured everything so not coil bound. Loads and shoots fairly smoothly and now doing 6.5 ft lbs with Falcon Acc +
    I think that`s as good as it`s going to get as the piston washer seals perfectly.

I've an apprentice at work with one of these in .22. His is struggling to put a hole in a coke can at 15 meters

I've offered to take it apart, degrease, regrease and sort it for him. Is there anything in particular I can do to help get his power up and firing smoothly so he's a happy chappy after parting with £100 of his apprentice wage. Any help appreciated.

Just make sure the piston washer is sealing well, fit some custom guides, smooth all bearing surfaces, and probably use an original Weihrauch spring. The 30s is such a small cylinder that power output is limited and a coil bound spring is easily done. Do not overuse the grease and use a good quality moly paste sparingly. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NickPriest27 View Post
    I've an apprentice at work with one of these in .22. His is struggling to put a hole in a coke can at 15 meters.
    Something amiss there, a pellet from a 30s should whistle clean through a can at that distance...

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    I got a Vortek kit and seal to put in mine; 8.5ft-lbs and shoots very sweetly.(0.177)

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Just make sure the piston washer is sealing well, fit some custom guides, smooth all bearing surfaces, and probably use an original Weihrauch spring. The 30s is such a small cylinder that power output is limited and a coil bound spring is easily done. Do not overuse the grease and use a good quality moly paste sparingly. Good luck.
    Yep, and they usually do around 8ft.lbs in .22, so will easy mangle cans at much greater distances and cleanly take recognised airgun quarry at short to medium range.

Check / replace the breech seal as required, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Something amiss there, a pellet from a 30s should whistle clean through a can at that distance...
    Thanks Archie

Rabbit wrecker. I think someone saw him coming and sold him a piece of rubbish. Hopefully I can bring some life back into it and put a smile on his face.