Thread: Baikal IZH/MP 46 v 46M?

Baikal IZH/MP 46 v 46M?

Has anyone first hand experience with both variants of this pistol?

The photos that I have seen suggest that in addition to the smaller cylinder (lower fps) on the older 46, that there may also be differences in the grip shape and trigger blade?

It would be interesting to know if the trigger action is any different?

Thanks in advance.

I don't (sorry, I know) - but it may be possible that pictures of an older 'mark 1' 46 are compared to the new 46M - which is derived from the 'mark 2' 46.

I've a '99 vintage 46 that looks like (AFAIK) current production of the 46M, except for cylinder length, but has an older manual showing slightly different grip and sights. I've also a PDF from the Baikal site of the manual that covered both versions - it shows pictures of two distinctly different guns as the 46 and 46M, but then has two separate exploded diagrams which are almost identical,except for the necessary parts on the 46M - a longer cylinder and cocking linkage, which are shaded to highlight the difference - with the comment these are the only differences.

Iain

Edit - Here's an American manual for the 46M ONLY - the exploded diagram is lifted from Baikal and shows (but does not need to explain) the shaded parts that are different on the 46M

http://www.toolfarm.no/ViewFile.aspx?ItemID=1507
    Last edited by Iain K D; 19-08-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Link added.

Thanks Iain. I think the external differences in grip, trigger blade (and rear sight) that I had seen previously may have been from Fig. A1 and A2 in the pdf in the link below. I now see that Table 2 contains a 'Note' stating which parts differ on the 46M; nothing relating to the trigger so presumably equally capable on both. Although Fig A1 shows a different trigger and rear sight, as you say this may have been on early models of 46, because Table 2, Fig A3 and A4 shows the same trigger and rear sights. The comparison Table 1 is of interest as it indicates trigger adjustment ranges are the same, and reminded me that the cocking effort is a bit lower on the 46 (the 46M is easy anyway). So the smaller 46 (~400fps) is a good alternative if someone wants a shorter/lighter pistol than the 46M (~460fps).

http://www.toolfarm.no/ViewFile.aspx?ItemID=890

The manual in the US site is slightly better than the one that came with the pistol; it depicts exactly where to lube the cylinder and seal:

http://cdn.pyramydair.com/site/manua...tol-manual.pdf

Here is my early IZH 46. Pictures here.

Can you spot any differences in the standard grips or trigger or sights?

Mine is a USA import via EAA, from 1996 IIRC, and here's the EAA '46 manual, without 46M parts shown: 46 Manual.

As you know Mr Straight, I like the ability to shorten the sight base on the '46 (by 26mm).
    Cocking effort is light. I've heard you use a bit more energy cocking a '46M. But the extra FPS may be worth it.

Any pictures of your fancy new grip??

Hi

And here's my IZH/MP46M purchased new earlier this year:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...tQaTdiMnZ0YkFn

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...tQaTdiMnZ0YkFn

Other than the small cylinder and my grip customizations they look identical.

HTH

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Can you spot any differences in the standard grips or trigger or sights?

Any pictures of your fancy new grip??
    Thanks for the links. The grip, rear sight and trigger blade look identical to my 46M, so your 46 was probably a later Mark 2 like the one Iain has. Never thought of moving the front sight, interesting.

The after market grip is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunalf View Post
    ....Other than the small cylinder and my grip customizations they look identical....
    Thanks for the reply. Those finger grooves look like a good improvement, I rounded the edges off on mine but seemed like I would need to remove a lot of material to slim down the grip. Got lucky with the used Rink grip that came up on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Those finger grooves look like a good improvement, I rounded the edges off on mine but seemed like I would need to remove a lot of material to slim down the grip. .
    Hi Aimstraight - I've got short fingers and found that I got cramp after using the pistol with the original grip, even after I'd rounded off the edges. Some say that grooves are not the best idea, but I like the look and they seem to enable me to repeat my grip OK. I carved them out using a curved knife and sandpaper over a couple of weeks, gradually taking more and more wood off.

Someone once said that the factory grip is actually the packaging for your perfect grip, you simply have to remove the wood that you don't want

Happy Shooting.

Paul