Thread: Data for 0.308 Win using Lead "Boolits"

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Data for 0.308 Win using Lead "Boolits"

Have some of DodgyRog's Loverin gas checked cast boolits.
    They are weighing in @ 180-183 grains.

Does anyone have a load for these boolits using Unique 5744 powder please.

Min / Max powder weight & round OAL please.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Al
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

I would PM DodgyRog
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

The Lyman manual suggests a starting load of 21gn to a max of 32.5gn with a 180gn cast bullet when using 5744.

In my K31 (slightly bigger case than a 308) 5744 reaches the range limit at 25 grains with a Lee 180 grn lead round nose. How fast fo you want the bullet to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    In my K31 (slightly bigger case than a 308) 5744 reaches the range limit at 25 grains with a Lee 180 grn lead round nose. How fast fo you want the bullet to go?
    Sir, as a matter of interest, what is your range limit?

I guess that having mentioned it, that you are shooting in an indoor range, since our range limit for .308Win is the same as that for any of the medium-calibre centrefires - 3250fps - an unlikely velocity for any .308Win cartridge.

AAA, I used to shoot the load you note in all of my Swiss rifles, but the difficulty of getting both the powder AND the bullets beat me in the end.

tac

Powder query

Do you mean Unique powder or 5744 powder? Not heard of Unique 5744 powder.

The Lyman load for Unique with 178gn cast is 10 to 14.5 gns...running up to 1750fps.

amc577

2150fps and 1500ftlb. It is a quarry. I got a bit over 1900fps, which is fine for paper at 50m.

What is the cast bullet's BHN hardness, what is the lube used and is the bullet gas-checked or plain-base?

What velocity/pressure are you hoping to load at?

A cast bullet should ideally be cast 'fat' enough to allow it be sized to 0.002" over the maximum measured bore diameter - easily found by 'slugging' the bore by tapping through a slightly larger-than-bore soft lead ball with a brass rod or something similar.

Loverin designs need thought to sizing as they traditionally have tapering-width running bands, widest at the base. I use a Loverin design in my family of cast bullets I use, I only lube the bottom full-size lube grooves. Push-Through size the base bands first, then take the bullet into a lube-sizer with a die of the same size, so as to not to deform the upper bands, just to apply the lube.

I have my Marlin 336 30-30 grouping under MOA with cast bullets following these pre-steps. The joy of the cast bullet is almost no barrel wear. My rifle is a 1974 Micro-Groove. I prefer cast-bullet designs that fill the chamber throat as much as possible, the bullet seated out enough to engrave the start of the rifling leade too (if the chamber allows it).

Know the barrel and the bullet, then tailor the loads to this data last. Many chaps, especially some service-rifle guys with original, worn bores, have sent grossly undersized or too-soft cast bullets literally rattling down their unmeasured bores with terrible results and fouling, cussing the day they ever strayed from jacketed bullets. Get the bullet the right fit, hardness and lube, it will work magic, and the accuracy will often shock.

I get best cast bullet accuracy somewhere around 1200-1600 fps loads. I sometimes paper-patch pure lead to well over 2000 fps which is more laborious but very rewarding.

Oh I've gone on a bit...