Thread: Original Mod 24 rifle

Original Mod 24 rifle

I bought an Original Mod 24 rifle from a member several years ago. it came in 0.177 calibre, with a spare 0.22 barrel. I'm guessing that it dates from the early 60's, but am having trouble finding any information about it. I know that "German Diana" had to use the "Original" mark after WW2, but the Mod 24 seems to be missing from the literature I can find. Did it have a short production run, or were they not sold in Britain?
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

The Original 24 was released in 1984 alongside the 26 and 34. It became the Diana 24 shortly thereafter, when M&G regained their trademark. A very fine junior rifle which replaced the 25.

If there was an earlier 24 from the 60's I am not aware of it.

The 24 had a decent production run that included the 24D which had the ball sear trigger. It was eventually replaced in the 2000's by the 240 Classic which is quite different. The 24 is as good as an HW30 in m opinion.

webman- you should be able to date your 24 by looking at the left side of the compression tube near the rear, just above the stock. Date will be in MM YY format. Numbers usually tiny.
    Last edited by Drew451; 20-08-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Original Mod 24

Thanks for the information. I cannot clearly make out the year of manufacture, it could be 58, 68 or 88. The cylinder has very short and shallow scope grooves, and the sights on the barrel are non-adjustable, apart from by drifting sideways. I have a recollection that the seller told me that it was made up from "bits and pieces", which didn't bother me. I've had a look at the 1980s Model 24, and the cylinder doesn't look the same as mine. Maybe it will remain as one of life's mysteries, and be hailed as a unique model in a few years time!

The fixed sights may be a bodge-up, but writing in 1987 John Walter mentions that there was also a 24SH variant, intended for fairground gallery use, with fixed sights and 'a sturdier than normal stock.'

Iain

Original Mod 24

Hi Iain, that information was very useful. I've got an earlier version of John Walter's book, and the cylinder design/overall length quoted for the LG24 correspond to my rifle's details. The stock has two reinforcing dowels close to the rear of the cylinder for extra strength. The very basic sights look to be integral with the rest of the gun, not added later. The gun still shoots very nicely, even though it has obviously had a lot of use. Many thanks for your help in solving my mystery.