Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webleys for sale

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    It was meant to amuse your close friends and family.

My close friends, are imaginary. Sometimes I wish my Mrs was too

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    A well deserved Silver,my one fingered typing just prevailed and as I have family passing Martock, it was meant to be. Just need to squash some .22 pellets in the vice now
    I've got at least two tins of .25 pellets including Rhino.

Yours free of charge if you're ever near Chester Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello John,

Look forward to hearing the results from your .25 pellet comparison with the originally recommended Webley Special.

Will this trial be featured in a forthcoming magazine article, or is it just for your personal interest ?

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

I think it will be interesting enough for an article as there is a lot of interest in vintage .25s. It would be good to see how it performs in comparison to factory claims. Probably won't be for a while though as I have quite a queue of articles ahead of it. I also need to pluck up enough courage to shoot the old pellets!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I've got at least two tins of .25 pellets including Rhino.

Yours free of charge if you're ever near Chester Zoo.

Never realised they were that powerful

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    My close friends, are imaginary. Sometimes I wish my Mrs was too
    Hopefully, she won't get to read this before she agrees to pick up the rifle for you !

Brian

webley .25

The Webley has now been sold to binners.

.25 pellets

With interest i have just had a look at my meagre collection or .25 pellets, they include. CHAMPION APOLLO .25.no3 in 350
    tins.OX POWER.25.in 350 tin. BISLEY. pest control .25.in 250 tin. MARKSMAN.25.no3.in 250 tin. H&N.DIABOLO SPITZ
    KUGELN POINTED. .25. IN 200 TIN. and H&N.RAMPOINT.25 in 200 tin.Thats it.

Comments. John, Brian.Thanks Roly.

PS. plus RHINO .25.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    With interest i have just had a look at my meagre collection or .25 pellets, they include. CHAMPION APOLLO .25.no3 in 350
    tins.OX POWER.25.in 350 tin. BISLEY. pest control .25.in 250 tin. MARKSMAN.25.no3.in 250 tin. H&N.DIABOLO SPITZ

Hi Roly,

I have found vintage .25s more pellet fussy than the conventional calibres. For instance I have a BSA Improved Model D that shoots best with H&N FTT, with Rhino/Marksman producing a fraction of the performance the German pellets produce. My Service likes Rhino and Marksman and a Jean Marck is nearer 6 mm, meaning sized Marksman work best in her.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post

Hi Roly,

I wasn't specifically looking for a .25 when I acquired my Mk2 Service thinking that it wasn't the ideal caIlibre for target shooting. In reality, it seems capable of grouping as well as the other calibres at reasonable ranges. No doubt .177 or .22 would be better at longer ranges, but since I don't go out further than 25 yds this isn't a problem.

I was advised to use Rhino pellets from the outset by a fellow shooter and these have proved to be the best of the few alternatives I have tried ie Bisley Pest Control, RWS Superdome and Marksman. Marksman would be my second choice and all seem to perform better when seated into the rifling rather than just pushing the pellet into the breech using thumb pressure.

It will be interesting to see how the original Webley Specials compare with their modern equivalents following John's trial testing,

Regards

Brian

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I reckon Binners lives off mk2 services, the secret of his superpowers. Mind you the biscuits he left at Protek were pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    I reckon Binners lives off mk2 services, the secret of his superpowers. Mind you the biscuits he left at Protek were pretty good too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you didn't eat any, did you they were gay dunkers, I get them in special for cabin crew, hair dressers and Protek staff

Red Bob ate one once and went all 'Stoke on Trent' for 2 days

If refusal to post is stopping any of the northern contingent having a go at these I shall be stopping in Yeovil next weekend for the Dorset Steam Fair and would gladly fetch something (already paid for) back as far as Doncaster. An hour and a half would see you and your purchase back in Leeds, for instance, rather than a days worth of driving.

Oddly enough only a week ago Charlie (the Wadhill One) and I were discussing the formation of an informal service utilising people who regularly travel long distances. For instance every Thursday I go from Doncaster to Wootton Bassett and back. Several times I've been able to save Baye customers a trip of anything up to 400 miles. I don't have a lot of time to spare as I'm on a tachograph and therefore subject to Drivers Hours but it should be doable if folk can get to Strensham service for 0545 or 0915-ish.

I ought to take this opportunity to publically thank Charlie for making it possible for me to deliver a minivan about 15 miles west of the M5. If everybody is honest and sensible ( I know it's big ask! ) this sort of thing could/should work.

Just a suggestion but I'd welcome any comments.

What do you think?, Mick
    Last edited by walnutfarmmick; 20-08-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    ... I shall be stopping in Yeovil next weekend for the Dorset Steam Fair ...
    just drove right past it yesterday; not even officially started yet, and it's bloody huge... at least a dozen fields... and lots of steam powered machinery gathering in the local pub car parks...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Mixed views on the Steam Fair and Bournemouth Air Festival.
    It's nice when you all go home.

No offence,obviously.