Thread: Leaking coyote?

Leaking coyote?

Noticed the other day that accuracy was a bit off, and pressure was dropping quicker than usual, refilled and left it over night,next day i went to the range and went to fire and just got a fart....... the gun was empty, anyway at home i noticed that the pressure gauge was a little loose, so thought that it sorted.

Meanwhile i set to making a shroud, finished that and tightened up the gauge, filled it up and when to use it a couple of hours later only to find that it had dropped from 220 bar to 100 bar, i have dunked the fill valve and end of barrel in a jug of water and can seen no evidence of leaks, both cocked and un-cocked, so its looking like its somewhere in the breech or internal ports, any ideas? is it just a case of a strip down and try replacing some O rings...re lube and hope for the best? or has anyone got any tips for finding leaks?

Most people will cringe but the only way I know is remove the stock & scope & dunk the action in a bath to look for bubbles.

Hello a bottle of Teepol Leak Detector should do the job, used to use it in work. (air brake systems.) Detected a very slow leak in a PCP about 1/4 bar max in a day. Non corrosive.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

I have located a leak...from the main cylinder locator/stock mount screw, very odd place i think, suppose i am going to have to fully strip to try and cure it, may as well look into getting a regulator now, as it coming apart anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    I have located a leak...from the main cylinder locator/stock mount screw, very odd place i think, suppose i am going to have to fully strip to try and cure it, may as well look into getting a regulator now, as it coming apart anyway.
    I'd have expected that to be a blind hole I'd have a word with the importer especially if it's still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'd have expected that to be a blind hole I'd have a word with the importer especially if it's still under warranty.
    That's the odd thing, but as it locates the valve housing, i am wondering if one of the O rings that seal it to the main cylinder is leaking, that could explain it, Unfortunately its just out of warranty, and i remember that the warranty registration had to be sent to BSA, so i fired them an email, but not had a reply.

Stripped it down and cant really see any reason for a leak, all i can assume is that the main cylinder O ring seal was letting some pressure past, i did notice that the main cylinder/metering device has three grooves in it, but on one has an O ring, wondering if i would be better off fitting an extra one when rebuilding? anyone else had a Coyote/Buccaneer apart?

After familiarising myself with the way it all works, i am now sure that air was getting past the cylinder O ring and emerging from the locating screw, and since the cylinder has three grooves that could take an O ring i think I'll us two just to be sure
    In any case i have just ordered a Lane regulator as well as a seal kit, so a good refresh and a reg, and hopefully all will be better than it ever was.

Nice things happen to nice people.

Bugger!! aside from the Gamo/ BSA jibes, the Coyote has actually been a very reliable and accurate gun for the last year,
    However after i thought i had found the the source of the leak...the valve block O ring, which gets junked with the fitting of the Lane regulator, i also checked all the other O rings for hardness and damage and found then all serviceable, but now its back together its still leaking, so it can be only one or more of three O rings...the regulator main body, the regulator where it fits to the original valve block, or the pin shaft O ring.

Although after chatting to Robert Lane about it he did mention that he has seen minute cracks or pin holes on valve blocks that have leaked, so i am now wondering if hat could be a cause, however i am going to first refill it and check with a crono to see if i need to use a less powerful/shortened hammer spring.