Thread: the smith @ wesson 77a

the smith @ wesson 77a

I do like the look of them but no much out there about them the is one up for sale but not holding air so new seals they look like a pain in the ass to work on performance I guess is like that of the crosman 2200 as made by mr crosman is the a 77a owner out there who has work on them and parts can you get hold of them what sort of money do they go for

A good working &&A is well worth aquiring. Built like the proverbial!

http://cinedux.com/smith-and-wesson-airguns.php

Errrr,just read 77A for &&A........jeez

If you want it contact Lawrie Amatruda on here.
    He will advise and maybe fix it for you.

Can't add much to what Trevor wrote on the Smith and Wesson airguns history, other than that Bangor Punta made a very serious play to acquire Crosman Arms; but it failed, for reasons that can't be recalled at the moment. As I recall, the Remington airgun models came out after their play for Crosman failed, but I would have to research that to be sure.

The model 77A is an interesting item. It's best attribute, well built sturdy gun -a serious adult air rifle- was also the problem. Historically in the US, airguns are "youth" guns. That's why Crosman's model 760 was such a hit. The 77A, for it's time, was out of place.

The 77A is a rare model. You just don't see a lot of them hanging around much, even in the US. The 80A BB gun was, from all appearances, a disaster. They are extremely rare. The pistols are great and fairly common to find.

Remington paper, there ain't much. I have a full-size catalog showing the 77A ($42.50 retail) and the 78G ($35 retail) only. There is an envelope stuffer with the full-line of 77A, 80G, 78G, and 79G models. (Same as seen on Trev's page) There are "Instruction manual"s; one each for the 77A, 80G, 78/79G. A "Notice" slip that "THIS UNIT MAY BE UNDER COMPRESSION CO2 GAS..." which would have been found in the box. Plus, two different Registration Cards. One version shows that the Remington Air Gun Division had moved from Springfield to Tampa, Florida. That's it, 8 pieces is all I know of.
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 23-08-2016 at 11:19 AM.

smith and wesson 77a

I have been after the S&W 77a for while now with no luck as yet as for the crosman 2200 seems to me they too are thin on the ground same as the spares . any news on these i would be interested as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    I have been after the S&W 77a for while now with no luck as yet as for the crosman 2200 seems to me they too are thin on the ground same as the spares . any news on these i would be interested as well .
    I have one for sale on gunstar, doesn't hold air though, but rare as hens teeth, take a look may be of interest, thanks Roll

I had a 77A when I was a kid. I was known for being able to tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet, so it's always been impressive that the big S&W survived. That thing seemed huge to me then, and isn't exactly small now. Almost anytime I was seen I had that S&W, and got the knickname of "Barney" for carrying a rusty pellet around (see The Andy Griffith Show if you don't understand). I dragged it all over farms in three counties.

I still have it, and it looks bad. The bluing is long gone from the barrel, the receiver paint is largely missing, the front sight was worn out shape, screws don't match and some are missing, the trigger guard/lever's tang is broken off and the break is worn smooth. It still functions but that's all.

I found a near-new looking one on Gunbroker a few years ago and snapped it up. It was a LOT cheaper than fixing my old one. When the "new" one came, I was like a kid at Christmas. I don't think I've ever been more excited over a gun purchase and I've made a bunch.

Whew! OK. What I'm trying to say is:
    1) Everybody would have one.
    2) I'm a lot biased.

that must be the one I seen not that many knocking about or much about them