Thread: New boy needs help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special

Cool

Thanks for all your comments, there seems to be a lot more to pistol shooting than I thought.
    Seems that the underlining trend is to join a club. I know that there is one in Kings Lynn, so thats okay as I work in Lynn.
    One other question, what pellets should I use? I know that each rifle / pistol prefers a different type of pellet, but what weight, shape should I be looking at. My HW100 loves AA field 8.4 , do pistols prefer heavier or lighter pellets, or is it a case of suck it and see.
    Sorry, also, co2 capsules, what the cheapest way to buy them, I've seen them on the bay 50 for around £20 ...j Ramsbotham seem the cheapest...are they all the same?

Thanks again
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
    Thanks for all your comments, there seems to be a lot more to pistol shooting than I thought.
    Seems that the underlining trend is to join a club. I know that there is one in Kings Lynn, so thats okay as I work in Lynn.
    One other question, what pellets should I use? I know that each rifle / pistol prefers a different type of pellet, but what weight, shape should I be looking at. My HW100 loves AA field 8.4 , do pistols prefer heavier or lighter pellets, or is it a case of suck it and see.
    Sorry, also, co2 capsules, what the cheapest way to buy them, I've seen them on the bay 50 for around £20 ...j Ramsbotham seem the cheapest...are they all the same?

Thanks again
    JSR are probably the cheapest- they sometimes are cheaper through there shop on the bay.
    Use wadcutter pellets (flat head). These cut a nice clean hole in the target and are specified for comp shooting. You can get them from £3.70 upto £11 per tin. I would advise rws geco's to start with (about £3.70).

J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

co2 capsules, what the cheapest way to buy them, I've seen them on the bay 50 for around £20 ...j Ramsbotham seem the cheapest...are they all the same?

Thanks again
    To be honest, ive not had a bad batch with any make and they are pretty much the same, but recently been using Crossman 12g and these are doing okay. I get 50 consistent shots from each, then change them even if there is a little gas left, this just ensures that if I go beyond the 50th shot, I wont get a pellet stuck in the barrel.

Go by price, the more you can get for your money the better, but they are all around the 50p each mark anyway I find.
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.

I have just ordered 20 capsules from Amazon for £7.20, they are only for plinking, so I am not worried about quality to the same extent.

Cheapest I have ever seen though...

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I have just ordered 20 capsules from Amazon for £7.20, they are only for plinking, so I am not worried about quality to the same extent.

Cheapest I have ever seen though...

Cheers,

Mark.
    Well don't be shy...pray tell

Errrrrr?

What else can I say?
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Generally two ways of target alignment :
    Sub 6 where you aim somewhere below the black - easier to pick your sights up
    Centre hold - where you aim dead centre on target - harder to pick your sights up

I've tried aiming below the black and I'm getting some sort of grouping, but if I use a knock down target do I try for for the centre hold?? If so what do I aim at ...the target..and line up my sights accordingly .

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a word with St Michaels in Lynn and will endeavour to pay them a visit.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Generally two ways of target alignment :
    Sub 6 where you aim somewhere below the black - easier to pick your sights up
    Centre hold - where you aim dead centre on target - harder to pick your sights up

I've tried aiming below the black and I'm getting some sort of grouping, but if I use a knock down target do I try for for the centre hold?? If so what do I aim at ...the target..and line up my sights accordingly .

Sorry for all the questions, but I have a word with St Michaels in Lynn and will endeavour to pay them a visit.
    Sub 6 is definitely the way to go when shooting conventional targets (black central zone). My experience with knock downs is that it is often difficult to see a good sub 6 aiming point. If the knock down has a nice bright surface against which your sights stand out, then set for point of aim.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL