Thread: Weihrauch HW 35 and Titan mainspring

Weihrauch HW 35 and Titan mainspring

I'm going to put a Titan 4 mainspring in my 1980 HW 35 - what is a good length for a sweet result?

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_35

This might be calibre dependant, as a .177 may need more spring. Also, have you any Chronograph results off it in it's current state? The earlier HW35's were notorious for leaking breech brazing, which affects muzzle energy.

Info about the rifle here: http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_35

Titan springs are very often "too much" spring for their intended fitment, so I'd be tempted to seek out another alternative. Shortening that particular spring will increase the stiffness and may not improve the firing cycle refinement.

Although regarded as "short and stiff", I really like the V-Mach spring (with matching guide and top hat) that I fitted into one of my 35s.

Or there may be a thinner wired spring that will be nicer, even a Titan intended for another model?

Looking at the power output, I'd guess that we have no leaky breech issue here.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Titan spring's have to be shortened to suit the gun you're putting them in.

Good spring though, in my opinion, & I've used them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    I'm going to put a Titan 4 mainspring in my 1980 HW 35 - what is a good length for a sweet result?

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=hw_35
    Don't know if you have power restrictions in Norway, probably not as you have a lot of hunting there with firearms. In UK with the 12 ft.lb limit I cut down the Titan springs as the steel is good quality. On the HW 80 I take off 3 coils, on the 35 you need a bit of pre-load as the chamber is shorter and I take off one to 2 coils. Sometimes I have taken off 3 depending on output on chrono. I always heat, flatten and grind the cut coils to original profile.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Cut the spring keeping about 10 mm of preload. No proper heat source at hand, so I just deburred the end, reassembled the gun and fired away. Easy to cock, fairly consistent at 220 m/s with JSB Exacts, no terrible sounds or rattling teeth - so far so good. Will take care of the spring end later on, but I see no need for a top hat and what not - I want to know when a shot is fired.
    Last edited by vestlenning; 16-11-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    Cut the spring keeping about 10 mm of preload. No proper heat source at hand, so I just deburred the end, reassembled the gun and fired away. Easy to cock, fairly consistent at 220 m/s with JSB Exacts, no terrible sounds or rattling teeth - so far so good. Will take care of the spring end later on, but I see no need for a top hat and what not - I want to know when a shot is fired.
    So on 10 ft.lb. should be a easy smooth shooter.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    Titan spring's have to be shortened to suit the gun you're putting them in.

Good spring though, in my opinion, & I've used them a lot.
    Yes, I don't think I've ever had a bad word spoken about them, quality-wise.

And many professional and home tuners use them to very good effect.

Also nice to see a manufacturer offer a large selection of springs in different sizes, to suit many different applications, and easily and readily available.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!