Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 foot pound Law Who's fault is it???

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Perhaps a better alternative would be for a the courts to more readily issue prohibition of ownership orders for those convicted of violent crimes and/or anti social behaviour (could incorporate crossbows etc too), meaning there would not be a negative effect on the shooting community.
    The reason that airguns have a negative response is because they look like guns and can be defined by law because they have a barrel, compared with clubs and spears etc made of everyday items airguns are usually much less dangerous, its the impression airguns give to a lot of the public that is the problem, they see airgunners as thickos who enjoy killing animals and lets face it some do for airgunning to survive (long term that is) airgunning has to be seen as positive and accepted and liked by the public, airgunning is one of those sports/hobbies that is not just for the able bodied fit and young as most can take part even in a wheelchair
    We just need to loose the old image and push more things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylx6...e_gdata_player
    and perhaps the public might actually want the sport/hobby of airgunning to survive like they do archery

I've always thought the air cadets and boy scout movement's involvement with air guns, sheds a positive light on our chosen sport.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I've always thought the air cadets and boy scout movement's involvement with air guns, sheds a positive light on our chosen sport.
    Cool, I wonder how many more really non controversial aspects of airgunning members can think of and post

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    .... Yet anyone with whatever conviction they choose can buy a sub 12 ft/lb gun to do with what they will.
    Not so. If you have been given a custodial sentence of three months or more you are not allowed to possess any firearm including a sub 12fpe air rifle for five years from release; if the sentence was for three years or more it's a lifetime ban. There are new rules just out, clarifying the situation with suspended sentences and early release.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

A great vid Barry, and you are right, I have often wondered why a lot of air gunners (and others) wear camo everywhere, while I completely understand the need for it when hunting, is it really necessary at a range or even Competitions as the targets are hardly going to run off if they see you!
    I do feel though that many members of the public feel the moment they see someone dressed in camo anywhere apart from a hunting or proper military venue then they automatically think your a psycho!
    Add a gun and the image looks ten times worse!
    Now please everyone who wears camo other than hunting, I am not criticising but merely pointing out a different perspective that can be held by some of the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Northj View Post
    A great vid Barry, and you are right, I have often wondered why a lot of air gunners (and others) wear camo everywhere, while I completely understand the need for it when hunting, is it really necessary at a range or even Competitions as the targets are hardly going to run off if they see you!
    I do feel though that many members of the public feel the moment they see someone dressed in camo anywhere apart from a hunting or proper military venue then they automatically think your a psycho!
    Now please everyone who wears camo other than hunting, I am not criticising but merely pointing out a different perspective that can be held by some of the general public.
    When we shoot in comps, there are very few members of the general public around as it is on private land/woods, not in your local Asda car park.
    So, in this restricted and nannying state we live in, it's a nice opportunity to wear WTF we like, and feel comfortable doing it. I don't remember criticising any shooters for wearing "tactical" black (the new camo) to comps, as it is none of my business.
    Thanks for pointing it out though, I'm glad you are on the ball and ready to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Cool, I wonder how many more really non controversial aspects of airgunning members can think of and post
    I can't mention names, of course. This was a few years ago. A lady rang me up and asked if her husband could bring his teenage son by his previous marriage, to our airgun club. The lad lived with his mother; the father had access via the courts for alternate weekends. Other than those dates, he wasn't allowed to see the lad, yet they only lived a few miles apart from each other. Imagine that if you will, not being allowed by the court to see your own son.

The lady who called was really concerned that the lad and his dad would drift apart, as the lad got older and found girlfriends and so on. She wanted to find an activity that the lad and his dad could enjoy and would bring them together. The lad was too old to take for walks in the park and to feed the ducks etc, it needed something more adult.

What made it more difficult was the lad's social extension; traumatised by the breakdown of his parents' marriage, he would hardly speak to strangers and was becoming quite introverted. The lady on the phone explained all this, and I could hear her welling up as she spoke. Fortunately, in a way, our instructors had some experience of dealing with youngsters at one end of the autism spectrum, and we were able to re-assure her that we would be capable and sympathetic.

The lad and his dad arrived one Sunday morning, intending to spend an hour having a look around and a few trial shots with a club rifle to see how they got on. Four hours later it was time to close up and go home for lunch.

It was obvious they'd had a whale of a time. Is that the time, he said, we had no idea we'd been here so long.

What was also apparent was the way in which this teenage lad - who had been heralded as timid and shy - had in a few hours found the confidence to speak to and engage with other club members on a level basis. Until now, most of the adult men he'd met were in some kind of position of authority; dad, step-dad, teachers, social workers and so on, but now he was being treated as an equal.

The lady who had called me, called again to say thanks for what we had done, which frankly was little more than to provide an environment. They stayed as members for about a year, then moved on to other activities. As they are no longer members I feel free to recount this story without fear of embarrassment, as an example of what can be achieved.

Air gun shooting isn't just about pulling triggers. This may be an extreme example but it's one of many instances where unexpected benefits arise.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    When we shoot in comps, there are very few members of the general public around as it is on private land/woods, not in your local Asda car park.
    So, in this restricted and nannying state we live in, it's a nice opportunity to wear WTF we like, and feel comfortable doing it. I don't remember criticising any shooters for wearing "tactical" black (the new camo) to comps, as it is none of my business.
    Thanks for pointing it out though, I'm glad you are on the ball and ready to help out.
    Good point rogb, but there are many pictures of these events which circulate in places like Asda, whsmith, and any other magazine retailers plus social media so although you can wear WTF you like, If you want the general public to have a positive image of shooting sports in general then you should be aware of what that image looks like from the outside!

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    This is what my club is heavily involved with. But this is not to everyone's " taste ". I just don't know how to convey to people that an afternoon spent with fellow airgunners down range or at the club is a much more enjoyable and much less dangerous to public past time, than bunch of lads getting together and drinking the local pub dry.
    No one leaves an airgun club pissed out of their heads and get behind the wheel of a car.

A.G

I wonder if wearing a tweed jacket and expensive wellies would have a positive effect. Honestly, I am not kidding. I some times attend the HFT comps just to watch a little. Some guys are so heavily in combat gear and all is missing is the face paint, just to shoot a few static targets in the woods. But copare airgun shooting to clay pigeon, a different world.

A.G

Good point rogb, but there are many pictures of these events which circulate in places like Asda, whsmith, and any other magazine retailers plus social media so although you can wear WTF you like, If you want the general public to have a positive image of shooting sports in general then you should be aware of what that image looks like from the outside!
    I do wear a green military style top but no camo. A friend who is not into shooting commented that when a bunch of camo guys get together they look like a bunch of " survivalists ". This is a perception that is difficult to get rid of. Personally I couldn't car less what people wore so long as it was suitable for the activity but the general public are something else.

A.G

That Rich, is the kind of thing that the public needs to see, if they were almost bombarded with stories of success, such as the one you just told, they would eventually be in a better position to look past all the ,at first glance, seemingly negative aspects of the sport!
    I have a five yr old and could not bear to think of not being allowed to see him! Not to mention the fact he is on the autistic spectrum also!

It's January, the general public are watching repeats of Strictly on their 55 inchers, it's sleeting, I am thinking "why am I lying in this semi-frozen mud?".
    Luckily I have my German Flecktarn Goretex camo on, so I am dry at least. It doesn't show the dirt so doesn't need cleaning every 5 minutes. One less thing to do when I get how, tired, muddy but happy.

Do you get the impression from this that I don't give a flying at that particular moment? Cos you'd be right

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I can't mention names, of course. This was a few years ago. A lady rang me up and asked if her husband could bring his teenage son....etc.

Great post, and one with a 100% positive outcome all-round.

Props to all the club people!

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not so. If you have been given a custodial sentence of three months or more you are not allowed to possess any firearm including a sub 12fpe air rifle for five years from release; if the sentence was for three years or more it's a lifetime ban. There are new rules just out, clarifying the situation with suspended sentences and early release.
    Pretty sure this has been the case up here for a long while and not new laws, for more than my last twenty years anyway.

I worked in a HM Prison up here for 15 years(1997>), new convicted admissions had to sign and declare that they understood this law and follow this on release, they are not even allowed to use yours let alone possess anything, Scottish law is a fair bit different from other laws in the UK
    Nice things happen to nice people.