Thread: BSA Goldstar

BSA Goldstar

Hiya,

I've got a mid 90's .22 Goldstar (cracker as it goes) but the magazine is crap!

There are no numbered chambers on it, so you have no idea if it's cycled or not and if you loose count you don't know if it's empty until you fire it....my question is will a modern BSA variant work in the gun?

I was under the impression they will, but when I was looking to order one (from J S Ramsbottom), his site suggests they won't...hence the question.

Anyone got an answer as I don't want to just suck it and see?

Thanks

Andy

BSA mags

I used to use one in .22 a few years back, & 'later' mags did work - but it was a while ago & the specs may have changed again since. I also tried an aftermarket mag. Think I got it from Blackpool Airguns.
    It was a cracker of a gun when working properly. Mine developed a trigger fault (broken hair spring) & an indexing fault - I think my grandson was not mechanically sympathetic & 'Winchestered' it.
    But I alway had problems with the original mags - I have since heard they could be very awkward with certain pellets.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

The new mags work well in mine.
    But there has been more than one type of new mag?

Mine is the first of the red ones.22
    You may have to dig out a small bit of the plastic base to allow the indexer lever to go up.
    It doesn't operate the new mags which self index but needs room so it doesn't jam.

I have always fancied a gold star ..never seen one in the flesh....how will it compare to say a HW 77
    ...... HW 80K b&c .177.. Logun S16s .22, webley raider 10xs .22 ,SMK QB78DL .177. BSA meteor MK111 .177,, WANTED errm maybe a BSA POLARIS pref 177
    Good dealings with...Telgun BAD dealings with bob brown

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by davev8 View Post
    I have always fancied a gold star ..never seen one in the flesh....how will it compare to say a HW 77
    not well....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Goldstar mags

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a punt and see how a new one fares....once felled a touch!

Many thanks

Andy

the R10 are said to work

i have read more than a few places that the R10 mags work well in the gold star. this is the one gun i have wanted the most and longest!!! i have a .177 superstar and 2 .177 Hw77 and it holds it's own against them shot for shot. in fact i would much rather take the BSA hunting than the HW's more power and easy to shoot in the field. the goldstar in .22 is one gun i would give up any 2 other guns i own to have!!! wish they came up for sale in the US

Easier to cock and softer to shoot than a 77.
    But range and accuracy not as good.

Main problems were the old mags.
    I don't know about build quality and oily bits but I think BSA should make a new one.
    With care!

Goldstar

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Easier to cock and softer to shoot than a 77.
    But range and accuracy not as good.

Main problems were the old mags.
    I don't know about build quality and oily bits but I think BSA should make a new one.
    With care!
    Quite agree, the mag is total rubbish, but it does show how far they have come on!

From my perspective, (having owned numerous HW's) the Goldstar is pretty damn good and would compare favourably to the HWs (un-fettled that is / straight from the box).

The HW has by far the nicer trigger, but the bluing on the Beesa truly kicks the Germans arse!

Stocks are very similar (quality / shape wise) but in true engineering terms I guess the HW is more bomb- proof.

In terms of shooting, the BSA is very accurate and smooth to cock...the firing cycle is ok, not super smooth but also not twangy / harsh (certainly no worse that my mates 95); that said, I bet you couldn't tune the BSA to the same extent as the HW?

All in all, I'm very pleased to finally own a gun I hankered after as a young lad and then to not be disappointed with its performance....just hate that crappy mag!

Thanks

Andy

Your thread has prompted me to dig mine out and take it to the range next time.

I have owned a Goldstar for several years now,and at 30 yards its accurate enough to dispatch the usual quarry.
    I found the cocking cycle to be ultra smooth and the later red mags improve things a lot.
    Its easy enough to put a mark on he 10th shot on the magazine,so you know when the cycles finished.
    The amount of times i have had to remove chewed up pellets is numerous with the old original magazine.
    So in summary,yes they do fit and it makes a massive improvement,and with a mark on the magazine,no more dry firing.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/7192...21379/?fref=ts Rapid 7,HW100kt .177,Theoben Fenman, BSA Goldstar,Daystate HW30S shrouded and tuned, HW99S (Paul Short tuned)

Goldstar

I had a tinker with the mag this afternoon and found that once loaded a slower / steady and precise stoke of the lever resulted in 40 shots without a hitch....maybe I was just being a bit over zealous cocking it...

Will see how it fairs at the boinger bash before ordering a new mag..

Glad the thread has resulted in another old Goldstar getting the dust blown out of it!

Thanks for all your advice.

Andy

Yes resist the fast fire inclination.
    And when cocking don't point the barrel up as pellets can vanish into the back of the gun.
    In case you didn't know that.

Had a fairly early HW77 when they came out, lovely gun. A few years back, bought a GoldStar is as new condition. Think if it had been a single shot gun I'd probably have preferred it to the HW - great blueing & finish, if not quite as clinically accurate. But I had no end of probs with the early mags, & following other problems it's been oiled up & put into storage. Like the Laverda, I'll get round to it someday.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.