Thread: Hi Guys, I'm new to this group. Some Baikal Makarov info you may be interested in.

Hi Guys, I'm new to this group. Some Baikal Makarov info you may be interested in.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so "Hello" from sunny Dorset. I've a small collection of CO2 BB and pellet replica guns, and have fallen in love with the Baikal Makarov MP654k. The info available on these is a little vague, and due to the embargo on Russian goods, things are even more fraught. I assumed as my MP654K was date stamped 03/16 that it was natrually a Gen"5" version, yet the CO2/BB clip is the larger symetrical one and not the thinner clip as on Gen"5". I spoke to the importesr and "All" their stock, mainly produced in march/April etc of this year are Gen "4".
    I have since found out that baikal had 2000 old frames to use up and so designed a slightly different MP654K Gen"5". These are now aqll sold hence current model is the Gen"4", which apparantly is far superior and true to the 9mm than the Gen"5", contrary to some reviews. Having spoken to Oleg who is an authority on Russian weapons,CO2/De-acs etc, the Gen "4" is as near to the 9mm as you can get, using 90% of the 9mm production parts in its construction, hence the amazing build quality. Argument says that the sought after Gen"1" is basically a 9mm converted to a CO2, but this is true of all Generations. The main difference is build quality of certai Gens. "3" seems to be the least favoured.
    I hope I'm not sounding a bit "Train-Spotterish", but I found it hard getting info on this amazing CO2 Gun so thought I'd share. The power is awesome, build quality is second to none. Umarex are excellent reps, but the Baikal makarov is just awesome. Amazing to think that an original 10 shot 9mm Clip will just slip into this CO2 gun just like its original brother.

Cheers
    Simon

There used to be a mak forum with loads of information on moding them etc but I think that it closed down in the end through lack of use.

It's now part of Umarex Boys Club Forum.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The gen 5 was made using the single stack frames favoured in the states rather than the double stacks of gens 1-4. Gen six went back to gen 4, but gen 7 appears to be back to gen 5 with a milled slide.

As for originality, some gens had a cast slide rather than milled, some were blued, some parkerised, but all are steel and are the correct weight.
    Last edited by tinbum; 25-08-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by rocket3dude View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so "Hello" from sunny Dorset. I've a small collection of CO2 BB and pellet replica guns, and have fallen in love with the Baikal Makarov MP654k. The info available on these is a little vague, and due to the embargo on Russian goods, things are even more fraught. I assumed as my MP654K was date stamped 03/16 that it was natrually a Gen"5" version, yet the CO2/BB clip is the larger symetrical one and not the thinner clip as on Gen"5". I spoke to the importesr and "All" their stock, mainly produced in march/April etc of this year are Gen "4".
    I have since found out that baikal had 2000 old frames to use up and so designed a slightly different MP654K Gen"5". These are now aqll sold hence current model is the Gen"4", which apparantly is far superior and true to the 9mm than the Gen"5", contrary to some reviews. Having spoken to Oleg who is an authority on Russian weapons,CO2/De-acs etc, the Gen "4" is as near to the 9mm as you can get, using 90% of the 9mm production parts in its construction, hence the amazing build quality. Argument says that the sought after Gen"1" is basically a 9mm converted to a CO2, but this is true of all Generations. The main difference is build quality of certai Gens. "3" seems to be the least favoured.
    I hope I'm not sounding a bit "Train-Spotterish", but I found it hard getting info on this amazing CO2 Gun so thought I'd share. The power is awesome, build quality is second to none. Umarex are excellent reps, but the Baikal makarov is just awesome. Amazing to think that an original 10 shot 9mm Clip will just slip into this CO2 gun just like its original brother.

Cheers
    Simon
    Hi Simon,

There is lots of info out there but sadly when the Mak forum died (as far as I know it was hacked to death not self-terminated due to lack of use) - myself and Baz were the mods on there - so much precious info and guides died with it - very maddening as much work went up in smoke. There is some info on the UBC Mak section but I never kept files of the stickies or other endless topics so it is gone for good. Best place to start will be the link below as that led to Ian creating the Mak forum in the first place and does still have many pics, how to's, seal guides, tool making, upgrade guide on it with the original pics too:

http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...p?f=64&t=11253
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Just having a bit of a trawl, and thought that there is a lot of info and discussion worth a bump...

Back in 2016 I purchased two Gen 4 Makarov's from Oleg, one nickel plated, the other blued and both screwcut for silencer, which I also purchased from Oleg.

Top quality kit, unlike the majority of junk pig metal CO2 pistols on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Back in 2016 I purchased two Gen 4 Makarov's from Oleg, one nickel plated, the other blued and both screwcut for silencer, which I also purchased from Oleg.

Top quality kit, unlike the majority of junk pig metal CO2 pistols on the market.
    Those silencers Oleg sells certainly look the part way better than the stubby little things that Armex offered. You can also obtain a replacement 4.4mm smoothboore barrel from Russia with an extension that outwardly resembles a suppressor. I was using mine at the club this afternoon and found it ideal in today's hot weather. The cold CO2 was useful for cooling (me) down too!

John

Silencers do have an inherent problem when used with BB pistols due to the fact BB's often do not fly true from the muzzle flying and so foul inside the silencer. I estimate around 60% of shots ended that way until I sleeved my silencer with a brass tube, which increases accuracy and velocity. The pistol is also quieter, probably due to the longer barrel decreasing muzzle blast. It looks damn fine anyway! I'd post a photo, but that's not permitted on the 'Air Pistols' sub-forum.

Silencers do have an inherent problem when used with BB pistols due to the fact BB's often do not fly true from the muzzle flying and so foul inside the silencer. I estimate around 60% of shots ended that way until I sleeved my silencer with a brass tube, which increases accuracy and velocity. The pistol is also quieter, probably due to the longer barrel decreasing muzzle blast. It looks damn fine anyway! I'd post a photo, but that's not permitted on the 'Air Pistols' sub-forum.
    You should be able to post a link to a photo hosting site or directly in Collectables - let's face it the Mak is considered eminently collectable by many of us.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    You should be able to post a link to a photo hosting site or directly in Collectables - let's face it the Mak is considered eminently collectable by many of us.

John
    A photographic image has been uploaded to 'Collectable Airguns' for your delectation Sir!

A photographic image has been uploaded to 'Collectable Airguns' for your delectation Sir!
    Much appreciated - what a lovely brace of Makarovs!

John

I should add there is a very good article on the Baikal Makarov by Jonathan Young in the current issue of Airgun Hobbyist, a US magazine that is well worth subscribing to.

Kind regards,

John