Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chairgun for Windows 10, does it exist?

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.

Chairgun for Windows 10, does it exist?

As above.

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Thumbs up

Should work fine .....I use the Brc software on mine OK
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

yes

http://www.hawkeoptics.co.uk/chairgun.html works fine on my Windows 10 machine

I had several versions of chairgun on my 8yr old Toshiba which finally gave up the ghost and I've tried to download the Hawke BRC on my new HP computer but it requires Java to support it.I am very reluctant to download Java as I think it is susceptable to malware what are the thoughts of others on java.

Current version works fine on my PC running windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by woody2906 View Post
    I had several versions of chairgun on my 8yr old Toshiba which finally gave up the ghost and I've tried to download the Hawke BRC on my new HP computer but it requires Java to support it.I am very reluctant to download Java as I think it is susceptable to malware what are the thoughts of others on java.
    I can't get chairgun to run on my win10 setup....funnily enough the error message states that is an "unsupported class version error" in java causing the problem.

The windows compatibility gizmo however states that chairgun is incompatible with win10.

I dunno..... maybe it's 'cos it's the latest version of x64 win10.

Cheers.

Roy.
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Im still using the older version which actually shows mill dots.Version 3 i think it is.

And that works fine with windows 10 anniversary update version.No probs at all!

Now sorted..Java update was required!

Cheers.

Roy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Now sorted..Java update was required!

Cheers.

Roy.
    Good

Thumbs up

I mainly use my phone for t'interweb so I have Brc and strelok on android.....worth buying strelok

Ah that Java thingy causes some problems.

Rumour has it that java is a security issue within windows,and its going to be phased out.
    I was told Firefox browser needs it to run,and they are working on not using it.

If this is true its going to cause havoc with some apps.

Any IT professionals on here,that can verify or refute what iv heard?

Iv also been told to delete any previous versions of Java from the uninstall lists,due to security issues..

Any IT bods deny or confirm my ramblings..lol

I only use Firefox as my browser and have not installed java so it definately does not require java to work. On my old 'puter java was installed but Firefox would not "veryfi" it so confusing

Quote Originally Posted by DESERT FOX View Post
    Ah that Java thingy causes some problems.

Rumour has it that java is a security issue within windows,and its going to be phased out.
    I was told Firefox browser needs it to run,and they are working on not using it.

If this is true its going to cause havoc with some apps.

Any IT professionals on here,that can verify or refute what iv heard?

Iv also been told to delete any previous versions of Java from the uninstall lists,due to security issues..

Any IT bods deny or confirm my ramblings..lol
    It is true that versions of Java are having security holes exploited by hackers and less and less websites are going to use this moving forward. It looks like websites are going to use HTML5 format going forward. As for Firefox browser, not sure what their plans are.

As to deleting previous versions, this is good practice for most software applications. Having only the latest version installed is a good move. Earlier versions are not always supported / updates not provided so any security issues / holes are not being patched and could be exploited.

Ross
    Last edited by Rossi2k; 26-08-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Hello to All,

Java JRE &JDK are regularly updated to plug security vulnerabilities, so you should always update if possible.

I have a suspicion that the security flaws come from the extra functionality added by the 'Next Generation' plug-ins.

Java as a language, was designed to be inherently secure.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Java JRE & JDK are regularly updated to plug security vulnerabilities, so you should always update if possible.
    Like the almost continuous Windows security updates … but nobody seems to get their knickers into a twist about them since they mostly get installed without the user's knowledge.
    I’ve never had a problem with Chairgun, BRC or X-ACT on Windows (XP through to Win10) provided that an appropriate JRE is installed - 32-bit or 64-bit JRE depending on the processor.
    The much-hyped 'security flaws' may have been a potential problem in some browser plug-ins and very old server-client applications but none of the Hawke apps have ever fallen into either of the above groups. I wouldn’t, for instance, enable the Java browser plug-in (I’ve never felt the need) but have no problem at all in using the Java JRE to run any desktop apps that require it.
    To paraphrase PhatMan: Java in standalone applications was designed to be - and is - inherently secure.

George