Thread: bb gun law?

bb gun law?

Please excuse my ignorance.
    I have a couple of daisy bb guns that im planning on giving to the brother in law for my nephews. I havent chronod these guns and dont imagine they are very powerful. Whats the law on these? I know airaoft bb ate covered by vcra only.. its a question ive never delved into and i imagine we have some bb gun afficionados on here will be able to give me a ckear and concise answer.
    Thanks for looking
    Donald

I doubt they are airsoft.
    I assume they shoot steel 4.50 bbs?
    What are they rifles or pistols?

If they are steel BB's (normally 0.177"), then they are treated just the same as any other airgun.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Thanks... yep.. steel bb red ryder style guns.
    The brother in law has a nice mk2 vulcan i refurbed and gave him a few years ago and he says he is getting a license but hes not bothered yet. Im just wondering if im going to give him these guns only to get them back in a month or two
    Donald

They vary in power.
    But I think they are airguns.
    You could ask your local police for advice.
    Just to keep them busy.

As they are 4.50 or .177 bbs I take it what you have is and air rifle or pistol. If they are over 14 and live is Scotland they will need to apply for an air rifle certificate. They would need some where to use them. Police |Scotland will not accept plinking in a back garden as a good reason for granting a certificate. All the info you need can be found at www.airweapon.scot/ Hope this helps

Thanks rich. Im well versed in the scottish legislation but i was having a brain drain this morning and decided it best to ask on here.
    In fact the new scottish legislation is slightly less black and white on the backyard plinking than we first feared. I dont know anyone who has put it to the test, but if you look at the legislation and thef awl form, its a wee bit cloudy whether backyard plinking is actually ILLEGAL. From my interpretation, if you want a visit and can show that you are safely shooting with no risk to the neighbours then you will get your license.im not talking council estate here but the likes of my dads place, surrounded by fields, 20m in garden, safe backstop etc... i knew they would have a hard time taking away peoples rights on their own property.
    Donald

Thanks Donald. Yes the size of his garden I dare say would not be a problem. I was referring to the normal housing estate back garden.

The fact that they said that it would not be allowed wasnt lost on all those handing guns in during the amnesty!
    Donald

??

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    They vary in power.
    But I think they are airguns.
    You could ask your local police for advice.
    Just to keep them busy.
    don't be daft they might just seize them

im sure anything over 1joule will require a license Donald.

I think you all are correct. They are regarded as airguns. Ive always regarded them as a step before air rifles... i remember dangerously trying to smash glass bottles with one whilst on holiday... no chance... bbs bouncing all iver the place!
    Oh well.. id better soeak to the BiL and see if he is applying.

Thanks for the replies folks... much appreciated 😎
    Donald

[QUOTE=1952paul0;7067757]don't be daft they might just seize them[/

Only in Worthing.