Thread: Pest Controllers - How many is to much?

Pest Controllers - How many is to much?

Took a rabbit on the lamp on Wednesday - actually thought I'll get you next time but...something wasn't right somehow, so fired sure and true, back flipped, a good stretch then went to sleep forever. Went over to check my shot...spot on, give it a squeeze along its body...what's this??? Weeping, sore, bloody, plasma'ish hole just in front of the hind leg and another in the shoulder on the same side, not done yet...another in its ribs!!! Whipped out my knife and retrieved x3 .22 pellets. Must be kids. Found out a day later a my local club my landowner appears to be lashing out slips to every Tom, Dick and Harry. I know that there are now at least 4 amateurs out there judging by the state of the rabbit and the bragging going on down the club. There's with 3 experienced and BASC'd up hunters who, in honesty work together via text to ensure we know who's out and 2 others on shotgun slips who don't use it anymore. That's 9 'pest controllers on a 9 hole golf course in a worst case senario. Through the grape vine I was told there's dog walkers complaining their been shot at (although they are trespassing that makes no odds to the law) describing me as the culprit...luckily I was out the county on business the night it happened so was cleared...There's now an increased risk of me been shot!!! It is my most useful permission for practising as the ground is always perfect. Should I turn in my slip? What would you do? Off to see the landowner this afternoon to put over my concerns and will check back later for your thoughts.
    Air Arms S410F Classic .177 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR), Walther Rotex RM8 Black .22 (Hawke Vantage 3-12x50 AO IR), Walther Century .177 (Walther ZF 6x42 AO, BKL one piece mount), Remington Express AR1 .22 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR, BKL one piece mount ss),

That's poor. And potentially dangerous - chances of multiple visitors at the same time.

Personally I'd go for a quiet chat with him. Point out that while he thinks he's doing the right thing in controlling numbers he's clearly letting careless shooters onto his land. This will affect his reputation and business. Better to have 3 or 4 (if there must be more than one) who can coordinate visits or even shoot together as a team.

If he disagrees I'd hand your slip in. Sad as it is, its not worth risking your good reputation. Do mention that you were incorrectly identified as well. Might make him realise what's going on.

I'd hand in my slip - wouldn't want to go near the place under those conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I'd hand in my slip - wouldn't want to go near the place under those conditions...
    I once saw a video of a couple of young lads on rabbit control. They heard shot guns and it was getting closer. Packed up and stopped the filming as it was unsafe to hang around.
    I believe that the land owner has a resposibility regarding this matter to make sure that multiple shooters do not turn up and accidentally shoot each other.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    That's exactly what I'd do. You don't want your name sullied and your rifles put at risk by others. Also, it could potentially be dangerous.

Ditch it. There will be other permissions.

Good luck and atb.

All of the above.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I found that a permission I once had was shot over by 6 groups. Ranging from air rifles to HMR . I walked away from 300 acres.

Pete
    Pete

Thanks for feedback chaps. Went to see him today after work and put my issues over to him and he was keen to keep me as he sees the effect I've had. He was close to convincing me to stay on with only 3 of you are active followed by "got another one to send off here actually"... I read this permission ticket...17hmr. Told him ill be back with my ticket on Thursday and that how the police passed that off was remarkable.

Thanks again guys...better feeling let down than dead or in court I guess.
    Air Arms S410F Classic .177 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR), Walther Rotex RM8 Black .22 (Hawke Vantage 3-12x50 AO IR), Walther Century .177 (Walther ZF 6x42 AO, BKL one piece mount), Remington Express AR1 .22 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR, BKL one piece mount ss),