Thread: Unexpected Webley Premier

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Unexpected Webley Premier

I got a mk1 Premier this week. It was a bit rusty, a bit pitted but sound and the grips are good with no cracks or chips. After a bit of work with oil and wire wool the rust has gone and the blueing is pretty good. Most suprisingly, the pitting doesnt really detract from the pistols overall look, and the weight, or rather heft/feel of this pistol is every bit as good as the Senior.

I've also been inside the gun and found the piston/seal is in good condition although very tight, but the spring is kinked at one end. The firing cycle is ridiculously nice (.22) although its only doing 260 fps with sniper lights.

Questions:

Should I size the seal?

Which replacement spring should I use?

I'm not after a powerhouse, but I think the 2.1ft/lb should be over 3 for this gun.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I have a Premier Mk2 that cocks very smoothly, it is doing between 2.96-3.30 ft.lb with Hobby (334.6-353.6 fps).

Like yourself I do not wish to uprate is as it is so nice to use.

I have a Tempest that does between 3.41-3.69 ft.lb (359.2-374.2fps) and just a bit more resistance to cock but very smooth.

IIRC reading somewhere (maybe here) that Protek replacement springs are good, not to harsh.

A tight piston seal will reduce your power so reduce the diameter so it is a better fit in the compression chamber.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've recorded 350 fps (3.22 fpe) for a newly sprung (from Chambers), healthy .22 tempest, with rws hobby.

Here's a Chambers Webley spring next to an old 'un: http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/P1010722.jpg

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I think the spring guide is a bit too loose on these.. tinners, make a sleave for the original guide, should keep the spring a bit straighter
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I've modded my Tempest excessively and its currently residing with my section 1 and 5 guns in France. This ones spring is kinked to buggery and because of that its tight on the guide. I will machine and sleeve it if needed, but I only want a simple gun for a simple shooter.
    God rest ye jelly mental men