Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for next rifles, suggestions please...

No, both were 177 and both were running on Exacts. The owner was about to try both on Exact Heavies.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I had not thought about getting a springer as have shot PCPs up to now, but now you mention it......

It seems the favourite make is Weihrauch for these with a couple of other makes. Chatted to a couple of guys at the range today and they have both now said they have springer's as well as PCPs and agree that when they make the shot with these it can be more rewarding. Wish they mentioned this before...

Also I'm guessing a springer in .22 is best? Please correct me if I'm wrong. (But not trying to start the .22 verses .177 debate - don't want to get into that one! ) Just what may be best for someone who has never shot a springer before in their life. (I know, I know - heinous crime )

So finances allowing (and misses of course) may have to stretch to 3 guns now. Would that be too many though.....
    .22 or .177! Very subjective but personally I like my pcp in .177 but prefer the springers in .22 - mainly because I can't shoot accurately much over 25-30 yards with one anyway

.22 will have a slightly weaker spring as the pellet is more efficient, so in theory less recoil but not sure if its a big enough difference to be noticeable

You can narrow it down by deciding the type of gun you fancy, heavy or light, break barrel or underlever, will you want open sights etc (personally I don't think the effect of moderators on a springer justifies losing the open sights but generally most people won't be interested in iron sights).

On a final note alongside Weihrauch, Walther and Air Arms also consider Diana as these are often overlooked but are high quality and are something a bit different. Many models have large cylinders for 18-20 ft/lbs, but the 280 (break Barrel) 34, 340 and 430 are more geared up for 12 ft/lbs. Diana's have been overpriced till recently but latest models seem far more competitive, this probably due to them having new owners and new uk distributor ( now Edgar Bros). I bought a 430 Stutzen some time back and rate it very highly indeed, in fact enough to take a gamble on a 340 n-tec Luxus despite having never seen one in the flesh.

atb

Ed
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 27-08-2016 at 06:51 PM.

I don't think you need to look anywhere other than Weihrauch for what you want. The HW80 is the best springer I've ever used and the HW100KT is the best PCP.

I'd go .177 in springer and .22 in PCP. Actually, I'd go .177 in both, but you said you wanted one to be a .22 so it makes sense to get the extra shot count of the larger calibre!
    Big guns, little guns and others in between...

I don't think you need to look anywhere other than Weihrauch for what you want. The HW80 is the best springer I've ever used and the HW100KT is the best PCP.

I'd go .177 in springer and .22 in PCP. Actually, I'd go .177 in both, but you said you wanted one to be a .22 so it makes sense to get the extra shot count of the larger calibre!
    No offence but straight out the box the HW80 is awful, though admittedly I wish I'd never sold mine once it had a v mach kit in it. At £300-400+ new rifles shouldn't require immediate attention so they shoot nicely, but unfortunately a lot of Weihrauch's do.

Somewhat bizarrely I never quite got on with the mk3 TX, but the quality and smoothness straight out of the box knocked the socks of any standard Weihrauch I've come across.

Have a look at a TX200hc Walnut in .22. I've had mine for a few months now and, it still makes me smile every time I pick it up.
    For someone that's still trying to perfect their springer shooting, I find the weight and balance to be spot on.
    Also, it really is a thing of beauty - the colour and grain in the walnut, the checkering, the nice deep bluing, the smell of the Walnut oil. Every time I look at it or pick it up, I'm so pleased that it's mine.

One afternoon at my old club, while the rifle was still in it's standard form, I was managing to hit a 2" hanging bell at 70yrds more often than not ...... off a shooting bag on a bench of course.

These things are so easy to strip and reassemble - I'm finding that experimenting and learning about this fine rifle only adds to it's charm.

I've since added a Rowan adjustable trigger, polished guard, stainless stock bolts and an adjustable butt plate.
    The innards are currently running with a longer, lightweight ally piston and Vmach seal. The shot time is quicker, it still recoils but, more gently.
    The best bit of all ... anyone can do this with just basic tools.

Some will moan about the loading port and ABT on these but, after using mine for a while, it's become second nature - pull down the lever with my left hand, keep hold of it, thumb pellet in with my right hand (now without needing to look), press ABT safety catch in with right hand, put lever back up with left hand, shoulder rifle, rock n' roll.

Pcps are good, I have an HW100kt .177 for hunting. It's a fantastic rifle but, for me, the TX is so much more satisfying to use - can't beat a nice afternoon at the range with just the TX and a tin of pellets
    Last edited by Jonjon79; 28-08-2016 at 06:25 AM.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    No offence but straight out the box the HW80 is awful
    Wow, I'm surprised by that response! Shocked even! No offence taken of course, if we all had the same opinion life would be very boring!

I bought my HW80 second hand. I wonder if it's had work done to it previously? Mine is as smooth as any springer I've ever fired, and a hell of a lot better than most of them for smooth delivery of close to the UK limit of power.

It's not even like there's a shortage of guns for me to compare to. I've tried a HW97 and 35. BSA Superstar, Supersport, and Meteor. Air Arms Pro Sport and TX200.... That list isn't at all comprehensive but a snippet of those that come to mind. My HW80 beats them all. Barely any twang, no vibration... It almost doesn't feel right when you know you're firing a springer!
    Big guns, little guns and others in between...

I bought my HW80 second hand. I wonder if it's had work done to it previously?
    Probably bought mine!

Don't get me wrong, I got on with the 80 really well but it only shot nice once a v mach kit was inside and its open sights were superb!

Well, it seems there are potentially a variety of springer's to look at in my quest for expanding my collection. Looks like I may be test firing quite a few with my next visit to Wiltshire Shooting Centre...

What I think I may do (finances and misses allowing or course ) is look to getting a S/H springer and look at a couple of PCPs. With scopes on top this may become a little too expensive (looking at Hawke Airmax 30 scopes on PCP(s) ) but will have to see what I get back from Mr Taxman.....

Do think that the springer will be in .22 though. Seems that would be the way to go. Hope I'm right on this.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and help so far - it's appreciated. Nice to find a forum where everyone is willing to help.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi2k View Post
    Well, it seems there are potentially a variety of springer's to look at in my quest for expanding my collection. Looks like I may be test firing quite a few.

Do think that the springer will be in .22 though. Seems that would be the way to go. Hope I'm right on this.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and help so far - it's appreciated. Nice to find a forum where everyone is willing to help.

Ross
    If you could do The Boinger Bash (the next one is NEXT weekend) you could get to try LOADS of nice people's guns, some standard, some fettled. Everyone is friendly, more than willing to let you try their guns and top advice is freely dispensed.

Calibre....mmmmm.....flip a coin, methinks!

Most guns will have a nicer firing cycle in the larger calibre, due its greater efficiency. Especially so with the lighter models. With the heavier guns, the difference will be less noticeable.

Softer cycle (and maybe less hold sensitivity) vs flatter trajectory.....no definitive outcome, it really is personal preference.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

My next rifle is going to be the new Daystate Renegade in .177
    I just love the look of this rifle plus it's small and compact to use in close quarter areas such as barns or woodland.
    ATB in whatever you choose.
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

I own a BSA R10 mk2 .177 and a fettled Prosport walnut .22 also a Tench reg'd BSA ultra .177.
    They all group fantastic, and are more accurate than I will ever be able to consistently shoot.
    I do love the feeling of the Prosport with the others it gets a little boring on the range as there is not so much feedback as with a springer.
    I still love the pcp's though especially when out hunting.
    Just be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind!

Thumbs up

Looks like I may be test firing quite a few with my next visit to Wiltshire Shooting Centre...
    Spot on mate - so far, that is THE best RFD I've ever been to. I bought my TX from Paul there. You won't go wrong with any of the guys there - they all know their stuff, they're all keen shooters and, they all made me feel welcome right from my first visit.

All of the shops closer to me could learn a lot from them.

If you want to try my TX, Send me a PM and I'll meet you there - I need my bottle filled and some pellets anyway

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    If you could do The Boinger Bash (the next one is NEXT weekend) you could get to try LOADS of nice people's guns, some standard, some fettled. Everyone is friendly, more than willing to let you try their guns and top advice is freely dispensed.
    I'd love to, but personal family issues prevent me from going at the mo Maybe I can get to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Spot on mate - so far, that is THE best RFD I've ever been to. I bought my TX from Paul there. You won't go wrong with any of the guys there - they all know their stuff, they're all keen shooters and, they all made me feel welcome right from my first visit.

All of the shops closer to me could learn a lot from them.

If you want to try my TX, Send me a PM and I'll meet you there - I need my bottle filled and some pellets anyway
    Thanks for the offer Jonjon79 - When I am next going over I will defo send you a PM and see if we can catch up.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Mr Taxman has been kind to me for once so will be popping out soon for the next purchase.

Will take on board the comments made and will see what suits me best from the rifles available and mentioned.

I'd love to, but personal family issues prevent me from going at the mo Maybe I can get to the next one.

The next one, subject to confirmation, should be on Bonfire weekend.

It's a great event and you'd love it if you can make it.

Hope you're happy with your future purchase and feel free to shout up for any further advice.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!