Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for next rifles, suggestions please...

Looking for next rifles, suggestions please...

Hi all

I've recently got back into air rifle shooting and currently own a second hand AA S410 Classic in .22 with a Hawke 4.5-14 x 50 AO scope. Love this gun setup but looking to add a couple more rifles in the near future.

I have tried a few that the guys use at my local range and like both the BSA R10 SE plus the Weihrauch HW100. I'm thinking I may get one in .22 and the other in .177 but not sure which way round? I like shooting .22 rifles but .177 has spiked my interest as well...

If anyone has and suggestions / comments these would be gratefully received along with any other rifle suggestions.

Thanks

Ross

Get a springer; especially if you are adding two to the collection.

Self-contained and full of character.

And it will keep your technique honest and sharp.

Always better to try them out if you can, but choose from any of the following, depending on budget, weight, balance etc.:-

Weihrauch HW95, 98, 77, 97, 98, 99 or 35.

Air Arms TX200 or Prosport.

Walther LGV or LGU.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Ross,

Welcome to BBS, have you thought about getting a springer or gas ram gun instead of another pcp?

I have a HW100 in .177 which is my hunting gun, but for most of my practice, be it plinking or paper punching, I reach for a springer. More fun to shoot, less forgiving and makes using the HW100 seem easy by comparison, this in turn is a big advantage for me when hunting.

Personally if I bought several pcp's I think I would end up reaching for that same one favourite gun each time and the others would become defunct.

atb

Ed

If it's pure fun you're after, then have a look at the Steyr Hunting 5a that is for sale on this forum, assuming you have access to sales here.

You can let off five shots in not much more than a second, with staggering accuracy.

They are expensive, and they take a lot of feeding 'cos a tin of pellets doesn't last long.....
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Try and borrow a hw100 in 22 cal before you buy one, For me it was the worst gun in 22 cal I have ever owned,

I have two HW100k and both shoot fantastic
    I have had two r10's but sold them ,great of a bipod but i found them not to be a very pointable gun

Looking for next rifles

HI i have a s510 a s410 TDR and a Kalibr Cricket in 177 all outstanding air rifles will not let you down

Rossi2k,

+1 on the Weihrauch HW99S.

Compact, light & superbly accurate.

I initially bought mine to see what all the fuss was about, and it is now one of my favourite rifles

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

I'll give another vote for some kind of springer. It's so much more satisfying when you take a good shot

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi2k View Post
    Hi all

I've recently got back into air rifle shooting and currently own a second hand AA S410 Classic in .22 with a Hawke 4.5-14 x 50 AO scope. Love this gun setup but looking to add a couple more rifles in the near future.

I have tried a few that the guys use at my local range and like both the BSA R10 SE plus the Weihrauch HW100. I'm thinking I may get one in .22 and the other in .177 but not sure which way round? I like shooting .22 rifles but .177 has spiked my interest as well...

If anyone has and suggestions / comments these would be gratefully received along with any other rifle suggestions.

Thanks

Ross
    I'd look for a s/h BSA in 177 and get it blueprinted, Scorpian, Hornet that kinda thing
    Then I'd buy an old 22 springer - HW 77 if not too heavy, or 95 for lighter, and fit or get it V Mach'd, or a nice HW80 in 20 cal if hunting -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Walther Century GT

I've just bought one of these in .177 and it's very, very good. Accurate, powerful and great looking too. Can be had for under £300 c/w a nice Walther 6x42AO scope. I will say that the mounts it comes with are dreadful. Mine now sits in a Hawke one piece medium mount.

Great combo for little cash outlay.

Food for THought...

Thanks all for the replies. Its appreciated.

I had not thought about getting a springer as have shot PCPs up to now, but now you mention it......

It seems the favourite make is Weihrauch for these with a couple of other makes. Chatted to a couple of guys at the range today and they have both now said they have springer's as well as PCPs and agree that when they make the shot with these it can be more rewarding. Wish they mentioned this before...

Also I'm guessing a springer in .22 is best? Please correct me if I'm wrong. (But not trying to start the .22 verses .177 debate - don't want to get into that one! ) Just what may be best for someone who has never shot a springer before in their life. (I know, I know - heinous crime )

So finances allowing (and misses of course) may have to stretch to 3 guns now. Would that be too many though.....

Ross

Airwolf.
    Hawke Tac 30 4.5-14 * 42mm ~ Harris 9-13" Swivel non notched bipod ~ Hawke LRF 600 - Tracer 400 Tactical ~ Nitesite Viper ~ Daystate Airwolf .177 ~ Sportsmatch mounts ~ Hugget Shroud + Belita Moderator ~ Aim Drag Bag

One of our club members turned up today with a BSA R10; nice trigger, shot well, grouped better than his Wolverine. Felt heavier than the Daystate but it isn't.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    One of our club members turned up today with a BSA R10; nice trigger, shot well, grouped better than his Wolverine. Felt heavier than the Daystate but it isn't.
    Was this in .22 by any chance?